Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 05:53 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Rayhay69
Here is a pic of my recent wiper conversion. I'll upload a video as soon as I can.
Looks great Ray, looking forward to seeing it in action!

I noticed you had to clock the motor differently than I did due to your car having air conditioning. It might have worked better if you used a RH motor, that way you could have possibly mounted it parallel to the firewall like I did. Anyways, I will have to edit my how-to to reflect the interference that having A/C will cause; is it ok if I use your pic to illustrate this issue?

Old 09-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Rayhay69
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Looks great Ray, looking forward to seeing it in action!

I noticed you had to clock the motor differently than I did due to your car having air conditioning. It might have worked better if you used a RH motor, that way you could have possibly mounted it parallel to the firewall like I did. Anyways, I will have to edit my how-to to reflect the interference that having A/C will cause; is it ok if I use your pic to illustrate this issue?

You can use my picture. I sure appreciate this thread. Saved me a ton of money. I can now brave the rainy roads.
The ac will soon be replaced with a Vintage Air system so that box on the firewall will ultimately be empty space. I will probably orientate it better after that.
Hardest part of the job to me was the switch and bracket under the
wiper door. I raised the original bracket up higher with a short stack of washers and was able to bolt the switch to it. Then stuck a small 1/4" thick rubber self sticky bumper pad to the bottom of the wiper arm to make contact with the switch. The pad on the arm was a compromise. I was tired of messing with it.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:57 PM
See 3
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

This is a brilliant innovation, thank you for sharing it with us.
The following users liked this post:
7t2vette (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 01:15 PM
intrepidram
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default your electrical diagram

Greetings,
Love your conversion and am the process of converting my own 71 vette wiper door. I am by no means an expert and almost not a backyard mechanic. I did however manage to convert my headlights to electric (awesome). My question is, and I don't mean to sound stupid but, in your diagram, 12v+ goes to any continuous hot fuse (right?) 12v- to any ground (right?). I just don't understand where the solenoid on the back of the tach wire in and where did the 85 86 relay come from, its not one of your parts you listed you purchased.. I am sorry if this questions seems remedial, but it has been driving me crazy. I know this is an old thread and hope you are still watching. Just cant bring myself to spend $1000 on the units available.
Thank you
Intrepidram
7t2vette (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 03:44 PM
D_Williams
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I believe the 85 and 86 are connections to the 5 pin relay, not a separate relay. Also, I am pretty sure that, in this case, -12V is ground.

Good luck on the conversion!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:58 PM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by D_Williams
I believe the 85 and 86 are connections to the 5 pin relay, not a separate relay. Also, I am pretty sure that, in this case, -12V is ground.

The schematic looks like two seperate relays however as said above it's just showing pins 85 and 86 of a five pin relay. Your right, -12v is ground.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:00 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by See 3
This is a brilliant innovation, thank you for sharing it with us.
Thanks!
Old 10-02-2017, 09:18 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by intrepidram
Greetings,
Love your conversion and am the process of converting my own 71 vette wiper door. I am by no means an expert and almost not a backyard mechanic. I did however manage to convert my headlights to electric (awesome). My question is, and I don't mean to sound stupid but, in your diagram, 12v+ goes to any continuous hot fuse (right?) 12v- to any ground (right?). I just don't understand where the solenoid on the back of the tach wire in and where did the 85 86 relay come from, its not one of your parts you listed you purchased.. I am sorry if this questions seems remedial, but it has been driving me crazy. I know this is an old thread and hope you are still watching. Just cant bring myself to spend $1000 on the units available.
Thank you
Intrepidram
Originally Posted by D_Williams

Originally Posted by wabco40

The schematic looks like two seperate relays however as said above it's just showing pins 85 and 86 of a five pin relay. Your right, -12v is ground.

The above replies are correct - terminals 85 and 86 are the coil terminals of the relay, while terminals 30, 87, and 87a are the contact terminals of the same relay. This is what makes it a 5 pin or terminal relay. Sorry for the confusion, maybe this pic will illustrate it better:

The +12v can come from a switched or continuous fused source, your choice. If you use an existing fuse, just make sure the circuit and fuse can handle the additional load. I chose to run a new separately fused feed to the battery.

The -12v would be any good ground source.

The solenoid on the back of the tach has a 2 wire connector; you are going to disconnect that connector from the solenoid, and then connect those 2 wires to terminals 85 and 86 of the relay, as per my diagram. Those 2 wires were controlling the coil of the solenoid, and now you are going to use them to control the coil of the relay.

If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

BTW, can everyone see my pics in this thread? I haven’t had a chance to upload them here since the photobucket mess, but it looks like they are showing up again...at least to me anyways!!

Last edited by 7t2vette; 10-02-2017 at 09:44 PM.
gleninsandiego (05-29-2018)
Old 10-03-2017, 07:46 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

I bought the small 5-pin relay at Autozone for about 5 bucks. I gave up on the issue I was having with the motor turning more than 180 degrees (opening, then partially close) and ordered a new one. Mine will also be mounted parallel to the firewall. I think it gives it a cleaner look.
And for those who just joined this thread.... a peek at my "over-ride" switches for the headlight & wiper doors. I put a pair of power window switches in the ashtray.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:33 PM
gleninsandiego
Safety Car

Received 1,065 Likes on 583 Posts

If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

BTW, can everyone see my pics in this thread? I haven’t had a chance to upload them here since the photobucket mess, but it looks like they are showing up again...at least to me anyways!!
I can see them too.

I went back and read your development thread
Very impressive

Have you thought of producing a kit?
Are the Mazda motors still available?
Old 05-29-2018, 06:38 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gwgwgw
I can see them too.

I went back and read your development thread
Very impressive

Have you thought of producing a kit?
Are the Mazda motors still available?
Thanks!

I don't have the time or desire to produce a kit, so I did the next best thing - freely share exactly how to do this with everyone.

Mazda Miata and Ford Probe headlight motors are basically the same, and they are readily available both new and used.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:25 PM
Jagawar
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper door conversion

If you have any questions while doing this conversion, feel free to ask, and do post your results when done!

As for your question about the headlight light components, your end result will only be as good as the sum of all the parts; in other words, if the rest of the parts are not functioning properly, replacing just the actuator will not fix it. The same goes for the wiper door conversion.

Hello I need a list of parts for the wiper door conversionn Limit sw if needed and where to install them as well as wiring into system with a wiper sw converted to electric.. I already purchased the Miata L/H motor.. Thanks Mark

Old 08-18-2018, 08:22 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jagawar
Hello I need a list of parts for the wiper door conversionn Limit sw if needed and where to install them as well as wiring into system with a wiper sw converted to electric.. I already purchased the Miata L/H motor.. Thanks Mark
Hi Mark, in the first post of this thread I listed all the parts needed, and gave a detailed description of the installation including several pics and videos.

If after reading that post and looking at the pics and
vids you still have questions, I will be more than happy to try to answer your questions.

Bruce
Old 09-27-2018, 01:04 AM
vettekazy
Cruising

7t2Vette,
I like your system. Are these parts still available? Which year Miata headlights will work?
Old 09-27-2018, 09:53 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vettekazy
7t2Vette,
I like your system. Are these parts still available? Which year Miata headlights will work?
1989 - 1997 Miata had the retractable headlights, but if you want to control the speed of the wiper door with a PWM controller, you need the isolated ground type, and I am unsure of exactly what years those were used. They are easily visually identified as I pointed out with a pic at the beginning of this thread.

Ford Probe headlight motors are almost identical, but I have no personal experience with them so I can't say that they will work or not.

The PWM controller and the limit switch are very common items, so even if the exact ones I used are no longer available, suitable replacements should be no problem to find.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:18 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Hey Bruce-vettekazy

The Ford Probe 93-97 will work- as it uses an isolated ground as well. The only difference is the Miata motors have a 6 pin harness and the Ford has a 4. The extra green wire in the Miata is for a warning light in the dash which is not used.

Richard
Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 PM
Jagawar
Heel & Toe

Hello just finishing up installation of wiper door mod.. I am having some diff. in wiring ..My motor works touching blue with red to 12 v opens door touching just red to 12 v closes door.. I have wired relay as per your instructions.. the connection for the relay coil 85 and 86 are wired into a two prong plug with Lt blue and two yellow wires. when I turn on my wipers nothing happens seems my 85 coil wire is not getting energized what should I ck? Regards Mark

Get notified of new replies

To ***DIY: 68-72 Wiper door vacuum to electric conversion***

Old 02-18-2019, 08:16 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jagawar
Hello just finishing up installation of wiper door mod.. I am having some diff. in wiring ..My motor works touching blue with red to 12 v opens door touching just red to 12 v closes door.. I have wired relay as per your instructions.. the connection for the relay coil 85 and 86 are wired into a two prong plug with Lt blue and two yellow wires. when I turn on my wipers nothing happens seems my 85 coil wire is not getting energized what should I ck? Regards Mark
I guess the first thing to check is that there is +12 volts on the yellow wires, and when you use the switch to turn on the wipers, the blue wire becomes grounded. The switch provides the ground, so the switch body itself must be grounded for this to work.

What year is your car? Did you use a Miata or a Probe motor? Are you using a PWM speed controller?

Last edited by 7t2vette; 02-18-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:40 PM
jokeitch
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Were exact measurements of the bracket(s) ever posted?
I wonder how hard it'd be to just 3d print all the brackets needed, if you use double the thickness, Nylon filament gets comparable to aluminum in strength, and it's trivial to add extra buttressing to the design.
the actuator linkage might be a little tougher to print though
Old 11-03-2019, 10:20 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by jokeitch
Were exact measurements of the bracket(s) ever posted?
I wonder how hard it'd be to just 3d print all the brackets needed, if you use double the thickness, Nylon filament gets comparable to aluminum in strength, and it's trivial to add extra buttressing to the design.
the actuator linkage might be a little tougher to print though
Just a guess- but from what I've looked at- I'm thinking the material would be good till about ~175°F..then it would warp and loose strength...

I could see it hitting the exhaust and looking just like the little Army men I used to set on fire as a kid!!!

Quick Reply: ***DIY: 68-72 Wiper door vacuum to electric conversion***