Sponsored by:

What to do with my '72?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:25 PM
ken6371
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with my '72?

I've been thinking about which direction I should go for a while and decided I could use another point of view:

I own a base model stock '72 200hp Automatic. It's been a fun car for my 13 year old son and I to fix up. This is my weekend car. I settled for this model because it was all I could afford at the time. Like many of us, I really wanted a 4-speed and a motor with a lot more power. Now, I'm at a crossroads ... do I pay a shop to rebuild this engine and get it to 400HP or, purchase a new crate motor and a Tremec TKO 600 kit? I cannot do this size job myself and will have to pay to have either option installed.

OR

Sell my '72 and go get a '69 or '70 with the engine/transmission combo I really want?

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks,

Ken
Old 03-16-2015, 09:42 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Changing an engine and trans. really isn't that difficult and would be an excellent learning experience for you and your son. Get a crate engine and the parts to change over to a 4-speed, then have at it. When it's up and running, you both can take pride in the finished car.

JMO
Old 03-16-2015, 10:10 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Pull the original motor/trans and go with a crate SB stroker and TKO600 and enjoy the car. I started doing the Hot Rod Power Tours with this combo in my '72 when my boy was your son's age. Do it and enjoy the road trips with your son.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:07 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick71
Changing an engine and trans. really isn't that difficult and would be an excellent learning experience for you and your son. Get a crate engine and the parts to change over to a 4-speed, then have at it. When it's up and running, you both can take pride in the finished car.

JMO

You know your current car. Buying a new one will really put you back at square 1. Spend the money and make it what you want. Buying another car might not get you what, and might cost you more.

Buy the way, Mick, I like your avatar. My orange one is right behind me.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:12 PM
ken6371
5th Gear

Thanks guys, I appreciate your thoughts...so far it seems unanimous. Keep my '72 and improve what I have.

Originally Posted by Mako72
Pull the original motor/trans and go with a crate SB stroker and TKO600 and enjoy the car. I started doing the Hot Rod Power Tours with this combo in my '72 when my boy was your son's age. Do it and enjoy the road trips with your son.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:35 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Take that engine out, and have a competent engine builder turn that meek mild mannered stock powerplant into a stroker. I did just that. It is unreal how much hp the thing has. Nothing radical, a nice blend of aftermarket heads, a retro fit roller camshaft, pistons with a static compression of around 10.3-1. I spent about 5k pan to intake. Kept the stock muncie, rebuilt it of course, changed to a 3:55 gear in the back. Its putting out approx 435 hp at the crank. Thing has gobs of torque and will give my 2014 SS Camaro a run for the money. Seriously. Old school baby

Last edited by Sunstroked; 03-16-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:56 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Bag the original parts and put them in a corner of the garage, then buy a crate engine. You'll have a proven combo and a warranty. Check out YearOne.com or Jegs.com.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:11 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

You and your son could take the time to do it! Listen to the expert members.

Remove the engine (it takes a weekend if you take your time) and have it built to the horsepower that you want (350 h.p. will seem radical after driving 200 horses).

Re-install the rebuilt engine (another weekend).....it "plugs-in" exactly where it came from/no weird modifications necessary!

Buy......install the COMPLETE manual transmission set-up (a weekend/maybe two for a beginner)....don't "chase-down" individual components...it's time-consuming and aggravating for the average person.

Unbolt the differential ( it might take a day if you take your time) and have a good shop upgrade it...."plug" it back into place (another day or less)!

(Yes....you could have the trailing arms rebuilt if they are questionable)

Have new dual exhausts installed!

And take lots of pics for reference before disassembly......and for us to admire the work!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:19 AM
BeansWorld
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have room to store your original engine and transmission? Is there room for an engine lift? Ceiling clearance and plenty of working room? I have a small single-car garage, I wish I had room for such a project. I like the idea of a turn-key, warranted crate motor and transmission. The premium shouldn't cost much more than a rebuild for the original (well that's all on what you really want to accomplish, there's good budget-based solutions to rebuild a 350). I've heard great things on the ZZ crate motors, there's plenty of feedback right here on this forum.

Have fun,

Eugene
Old 03-17-2015, 12:19 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

I guess Im in the minority when I say to build the original. I have no room to store engines. With a DD, my vette, my Harley, my sport bike, my truck, compressor, tools, hunting gear, engine hoist, bicycles, my garage is full. LoL. But if you have a big enough garage to store a boat anchor, then a crate engine is an option. I like the fact that even though nothing else on the engine is original, the block is. And when I tell guys its the block it was born with, I usually get a very positive response. Lets face it, Im in to this for the long haul. Ill die with it. So future value is a moot point.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:53 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I have done a bunch of motor and tranny swaps for members on their cars. They have all left with a big grin on their face. Build your current or buy a crate motor and put in the TKO. You will be a lot happier and it will be a better car. Here is one I did last fall. I have the car back now as he is upgrading the brakes and gauges in the car.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...u-gordonm.html
Old 03-17-2015, 06:41 PM
Flivver61
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Ken, where are you located? You may get offers to help or suggestions for local shops that could help
Old 03-18-2015, 12:19 AM
ken6371
5th Gear

I live in Katy west of Houston. There are several shops that could handle this for me. No room at home to store the old 350 and tranny. Thanks guys for all your thoughts and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Ken

Originally Posted by Flivver61
Ken, where are you located? You may get offers to help or suggestions for local shops that could help

Get notified of new replies

To What to do with my '72?

Quick Reply: What to do with my '72?