C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Start A Body Off Restoration Thread?
Absolutley
67.69%
Sure, if you want to
24.62%
Not needed as there are several already.
7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Body Off Thread.........Yes/No?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
...My objective is to have it road worth by end of September...
Your objective may not necessarily have anything to do with the potential length of the thread. As an example, if you post once or twice a day and garner 30 responses to each, thread length starts to grow.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
FWIW: restoration threads tend to get drawn out and lengthy. Folks can lose interest in large threads.

I tend to agree. Perhaps a thread "by task"? Threre are a couple that appear to going down this route now that I'm half@ssed following.

Body removal
Frame stripping/ resto

Ft suspension R&R
Rr Suspension R&R
Interior R&R
Engine R&R.

For example, My beef with engine build threads is the technical part, I don't care to know/learn about wiped cam lobes, or lobe separation, what size of rocker arms, length of pushrods to buy/use on a particular build. Choose the parts however you want, I just like to read about the teardown and rebuild and what a "non mechanic" may or may not encounter during a build. IE: remove iron heads and install aluminum heads, what were the issues to be careful or wary about? Not that the runners are 1/2cc bigger or smaller and the inherent debate over which is better. IDK. Id be more interested in what steps should be observed in doing such a swap. Cam's as well, IDK about what cam, but more the steps to do a cam swap. "Be careful about ________ and ________ while your remove ________ for access to remove the cam".

I'd follow along that type of thread.

My $.02 anyway.

dodosmike

PS Your $30k estimate, if that's CDN dollars, you might want to rethink it. Add 25% more to account for the weak CDN dollar, vs the US currency. Your $30 becomes $38k (ish) pretty quick.

Last edited by Dodosmike; 04-01-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:28 PM
andy67
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

yes please do this thread im redoing my 74 and any info would be helpful as i rarely see anybody workin on a 74 for some reason
Old 04-01-2015, 09:53 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Your objective may not necessarily have anything to do with the potential length of the thread. As an example, if you post once or twice a day and garner 30 responses to each, thread length starts to grow.

Good luck.
Agreed, thanks for the reply Mike.
Originally Posted by Dodosmike
PS Your $30k estimate, if that's CDN dollars, you might want to rethink it. Add 25% more to account for the weak CDN dollar, vs the US currency. Your $30 becomes $38k (ish) pretty quick.
Yes, the estimate was Canadian, I'm hoping due to it being a low mileage car it won't need that many parts. Then again, hope and reality are two different things, if the budget needs to be adjusted to 38k and I can justify it, than so be it as my wife is very understanding.
Originally Posted by andy67
yes please do this thread im redoing my 74 and any info would be helpful as i rarely see anybody workin on a 74 for some reason
Unfortunately it's a 75' but basically the same principals apply.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:19 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Frank, I say document everything you can. It will keep a lot of eyes on the project in case you miss something.

On a side note, I pass through your area every morning on the way home from work. Any Friday that you may need an extra set of hands, feel free to send me a PM and I'll shoot you my number.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:45 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

600,000 views!!!!! Young Jeremy from Calgary - Stinger12

Well documented from the start and literally days of reading his thread. All great information; and was suggested numerous times for him to put it in a book!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...storation.html

As much time spent photos/documenting as doing the work i would think.

Dannyman
Old 04-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by briankeery
On a side note, I pass through your area every morning on the way home from work.
Thanks Brian, that's a very generous offer and I'm sure at one point I'll be ready to throw in the towel so I may just give you a call to help boost me back into action.
Originally Posted by dannyman
600,000 views!!!!! Young Jeremy from Calgary - Stinger12
I came across that thread several months ago and all I can say is simply amazing work and equally amazing Vette.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:04 PM
phat87
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

Default build thread

I think more input is always best for those who come after.

I think your budget is certainly realistic..not so sure about the time line. One person doing a project that size wears down after about 500 hours.

I'm doing a 1980 Camaro, I keep a photo record and a written journal with hours of labour summary. The photos are priceless when it comes to reassembly.

Best advice, bag and tag, bag and tag, bag and tag.

Have at 'er my son.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phat87
I think your budget is certainly realistic..not so sure about the time line. One person doing a project that size wears down after about 500 hours.
I think my budget is also realistic, but I agree with you in that I don't think I can keep up with the frustration after maybe 300 hours. I'm hoping this forum can help with my motivation.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:40 AM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Lots of interesting responses. I personally hope you decide to document your entire resto in one thread. I have read several of the restoration threads on this forum from their start to current. I agree with the one poster that states it is as much to your benefit as it is to the readers. Having a history like a resto thread will be cherished by children some where down the line. Good luck and I will be watching for the start of your thread. Mike
Old 04-05-2015, 03:36 PM
cdl49
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I would vote YES to your thread! It is very helpful for other people to see and learn about a problem you go thru to fix. My son and I have set a goal to have our 68 on the road this summer. It was started 10 yrs ago and like phat87 said " bag and tag, bag and tag ". thats what we did along with using index cards to document things like how many shims were on each side of the trailing arms etc. Good luck
Dean
Old 04-05-2015, 04:55 PM
teamo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

I'll be looking forward to following along. I also have a '75 coupe, similar equipment to yours with a/c. Mine has been sitting about 25 years. I've started what I call a "Partial Body Off Restoration". I am tilting the body off of the frame one side at a time and painting the frame and replacing parts. Don't have the space to remove the body totally off of the frame. As you, I am not concerned with the return of investment. I am looking to make it a nice car that I can drive and enjoy.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mike48750
I agree with the one poster that states it is as much to your benefit as it is to the readers.
Thanks for the reply Mike, I also agree that it benefits both of us, probably me more.
Originally Posted by cdl49
My son and I have set a goal to have our 68 on the road this summer.Dean
Thanks for the reply Dean, looking forward to reading some of your posts re the project. I'm sure your son will never forget this adventure.
Originally Posted by teamo
Mine has been sitting about 25 years. I've started what I call a "Partial Body Off Restoration"
Wow, not to many people would let it sit for that many years, but I know it's all about priorities and with getting married, having kids, paying the mortgage etc, many things get in the way.

Good luck with your Partial Body Off.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:24 PM
gsimon767
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Blue 75 convertible so I would be following your thread and helping whenever possible. 75s have some unique issues when it comes to emissions parts so anyone considering a factory correct restoration will need some help. I decided to pull my engine to clean up the engine compartment. The project has suffered some mission creep because, as someone said, the 40 year old parts start looking pretty worn when seen next to the cleaned or restored parts. With everything out of the way you get the "while I'm at it I might as well xxx" disease. For some a frame off is the only way to get the car to look like they want. Since yours has been with you a long time a frame off may be the only way to get back to the way you remember it when new.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:43 AM
jakvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
Not at all sure of your age but if i was taking a guess i would say in the 50 - 60 range and that would put you into my age bracket .

My frame off started with a noise on my diff when i turned corners and led on to the frame off i am into now . Without the input and experience of people like yourself as well as all the other guys on the forum i would have been stumbling along blind and not doing things in the best possible way , so i say if you do have time to write and post up the progress along with pictures i think most people like myself would be extremely grateful .

I have gone deep into trying to put my 73 back into a good shape and posted a few pictures about my progress cutting out the rusted out rocker channels . I havent posted for a while on the progress but i am now busy building a rotisierie to strap my body to so i can work underneath and make it all nice and smooth before it goes back together . Its hard to judge if the threads you write are pro active and assistance to people or whether the guts are just reading and following along . I have always been pleased by the amount of encouragement received and all the advice i have been given .

I am guilty of not finding the time to send more information or up dates thats for sure , but the project does go on as does my interest in other peoples posts DOORGUNNER is a fantastic example , his posts are so informative .

I say please post and lets all compare how you acomplish your tasks against the way myself and others attempted and tackled ours or are about to tackle ours . Its a great asset to all of us IMO

John

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
My objective is to have it road worth by end of September, paint and other minor details will come next year. I know that my objective may not become reality, but the glass is half full.
I have put money aside for this project and I figure it will take approximately 800 hours from start to finish. Since I started already, I can cut the hours down somewhat. I also intend on doing this full time during the summer.
I hope I didn't take your post out of context when editing it but I do understand and feel I don't have a choice but to take on this project since I have no intentions of selling the car as it will be handed down to my kids.
My body off resto will be defined as separating the body from the frame and any parts that are broken, badly weathered, or simply worn out are listed for replacement. This will included interior, suspension, drive-train etc. Finally a new paint job will be added. I'm not interested in NCRS even though I'm the original owner.

I feel my budget of $30,000.00 for parts is reasonable, if more are needed then I'll deal with it in the end. The fact that it's been sitting for 26 years has added much to the budget.

I've excepted the fact that it would have been better financially to purchase one in better shape, but this isn't about resale valve, it's about my forum name, which is keeping the dream alive.
I know this is something I have to do based on recent personal events. several friends and family have passed away and it made me rethink my priorities as I now want to complete all my projects before my time comes.

The only saving grace financially is my labour will be free.
That's a good and positive way of looking at it, thanks for posting.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gsimon767
For some a frame off is the only way to get the car to look like they want. Since yours has been with you a long time a frame off may be the only way to get back to the way you remember it when new.
Those were my thoughts exactly, although it comes at a cost and lots of work. Thanks for the reply
Originally Posted by jakvette
Hi,
Not at all sure of your age but if i was taking a guess i would say in the 50 - 60 range and that would put you into my age bracket .
Thanks for the reply John, you're correct on my age and I'm not getting any younger so it's either now or never.

I'm hoping to get a lot of motivation as well as help from this forum so it's now a matter of when to start the build.

Quick Reply: Body Off Thread.........Yes/No?