Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mopar Guy thinking C3

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:23 PM
JohnRogers
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I've decided to wait and learn a bit more. I must say if I had been in Scottsdale at $11,000 this would have been tempting.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archi...ORVETTE-180666
Old 05-04-2017, 01:09 PM
JohnRogers
Racer

So the cigar lounge business didn't generate the revenue I hoped for. I never got that reasonably priced late C3...yet.

I'm moving back to New Jersey soon. So I'm thinking about using Corvettes at Carlisle this August as a living text book. Helping me decide how I want to pursue my C3 dreams. Anyone going this year?
Old 05-04-2017, 05:32 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnRogers
Exactly all the little improvements for almost daily driving and road trips. Plus price, the early C3's command high prices.
My '71 convertible is my daily driver. Swapped a ZZ4 crate motor in it 15 years ago and I get 17 to 20mpg (depending on how I use the "fun" pedal).
One thing about C3 is it's just as much fun looking out of one from the inside as it is looking at it from the outside!

Love Mopars too. I with I had a '71 Challenger. The only problem I have with Mopar is most of the cool ones won't fit into my one car garage.

Last edited by theandies; 05-04-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:57 PM
JohnRogers
Racer

My thread got moved to the C5 section but I'd like some opinions from the C3 crowd.

I'm going to Corvettes at Carlisle to shop for my Corvette. Problem is I'm no longer sure what the hell I want anymore...

Although I’m a Mopar guy I did briefly enjoy C4 ownership back in 2001, every red blooded American gearhead should own a Corvette. My 1996 LT4 was a blast to drive but eventually family situations changed and a few years later the modern Dodge Challenger called to me. As I opened my business in 2014 the fun stuff was sold.

It is time for something other than the family truckster grocery getter. I have a modest budget this time.

Roger Moore
My wife and I are of the generation that pictures the C3 shape in our minds when someone says Corvette. The C3 is the Roger Moore James Bond of the car world. Stunning in its inception but hung around too long becoming a punchline, yet when someone says James Bond its Roger Moore in the mind’s eye. You don’t see that iconic shape on the road much anymore. Yes the C3 is truly iconic. If you skip the chrome bumper cars it can be a bargain driver. So I was fixated on a 1978-1982 as a fun driver my wife and I can enjoy on weekend road trips. The ultimate goal the 82 CE, fuel injection a nice plus.

Then I made the mistake of looking in the C4 For Sale section…

Familiar Territory
A fine well cared for ‘96 CE priced right. I always liked that ‘96 CE. Automatic this time so my better half can drive it too. Dependable enough for carefree cross country driving yet I’ve seen this movie before. Been there, done that. The late C4 is a clean shape yet unremarkable but maybe I need to consider the C4 while at Carlisle. The ulitmaite driver bargain…so I thought.

Then I read an article at Road & Track http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...old-or-bought/

Modern Day Warrior Mean-Mean Stride
The C5 is the ultimate driving bargain. An LS1, transaxle, hydroform boxed frame, American torque brute. The Corvette that can compete with the best of Europe and Japan. It has everything a guy familiar with modern muscle cars can relate with and enjoy. They are everywhere, seen yet un-noticed. What sane man passes up the C5?

What Corvette do I leave Carlisle with? On the subject, tips for smooth car corral transactions would also be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:46 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

At this moment I'm actually waiting for the C6's to come down a bit then I'll probably spring for a nice automatic to retire my C3 from it's daily driving chore. They should be in my budget in a few more years.
I have to make it financially attractive to my wife in order to keep the C3 and have a C6. Since I just bought her a new Ford Explorer last summer I get the next "new" ("ill never buy a new new car ever again) car in our family. That's the way my wife have always worked out car purchases.

For the OP, don't you just love these decisions? When I was looking for my C3 years ago I was addicted to looking at all the Vette for sale magazines. Back then the internet was a baby so not surfing for cars back then.

Good luck, I know you'll enjoy your choice
The following users liked this post:
JohnRogers (07-10-2017)
Old 03-18-2018, 04:03 PM
JohnRogers
Racer

So I'm ready to scratch that 1982 CE itch I have.

"Mostly original car with one repaint in base/clear coat. Previous decals were painted under clear coat. New exhaust from converter back. New power steering control valve, hydraulic piston, and all four hoses. Interior is all original. Seats, door panels and carpet all in excellent condition. Tires like new. Cold ac. Everything works. Car is ready to drive, needs nothing. Mileage is 68,333. Weather-stripping on entire car is soft and in great condition, including on the t-tops. Fully functional rear hatch… We have all books warranty papers and previous titles, along with a letter from JR Roof Chevrolet in Newton N.J. where the car was sold new. Crossfire injection runs great with no issues, or leaks, same for the overdrive transmission. New battery. To sum it up, this car is ready to cruise or show without spending anything".

This sounds very tempting, what I've been looking for. Pics and price seem right, anything above sound like a red flag?
Old 03-19-2018, 06:43 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

One guy posted recently: Everything made of rubber that has liquid running through it. Next post somebody put: Like the weatherstripping... Have you read the 10 rules sticky at the top of this section? Very good rundown on rust issues.

Last edited by derekderek; 03-19-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:46 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

One advantage of 82's. 17 digit vin. Carfax. You can tell where car was registered it's whole life.

Quick Reply: Mopar Guy thinking C3