Sponsored by:

What to use to remove fine scratches

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:39 PM
habib
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Default What to use to remove fine scratches

I HAVE A 78 PACE CAr that I just purchased. The paint is very good but the prior owner used the wrong towels to clean it. What can I use to remove these fine scratches and some swirling marks?
Mostly fine scratches on the pain. Its Black and silver exterior.
I was going to first clay it but I know that clay will not remove them. Any suggestions?
Old 04-16-2015, 06:59 PM
J.D.78
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had good success with meguiras ultimate compound. everyone has there own favorite.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-compound.html
Old 04-16-2015, 08:21 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Congrats on the new car.....post some pics!
Old 04-16-2015, 08:32 PM
habib
Racer

Default 78 pace car

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Congrats on the new car.....post some pics!

Old 04-16-2015, 08:34 PM
habib
Racer

Thank you
Old 04-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by J.D.78
I have had good success with meguiras ultimate compound. everyone has there own favorite.
I've also had fairly good results with Meguires 105/205 combinations. Currently a Adams convert but as he says, everyone has their favorites.
M

PS start with a hand compound, you may be surprised what comes out without getting out the polishers.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:48 PM
habib
Racer

Originally Posted by Mooser
I've also had fairly good results with Meguires 105/205 combinations. Currently a Adams convert but as he says, everyone has their favorites.
M

PS start with a hand compound, you may be surprised what comes out without getting out the polishers.
Just tried the Meguairs Ultimate Compound and works great. It requires some elbow grease but as long as it works. Then I will put a polish over it once its all done. Thank you
Old 04-16-2015, 09:52 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

You want to start with the least abrasive product you can. Do a test spot after claying with just meguiars ult. polish first. Use a da if you have one. But, meguiars ult. compound (if needed), Polish and wax will light that black paint up. And only use mf towels.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:57 PM
habib
Racer

Originally Posted by mortgageguy
You want to start with the least abrasive product you can. Do a test spot after claying with just meguiars ult. polish first. Use a da if you have one. But, meguiars ult. compound (if needed), Polish and wax will light that black paint up. And only use mf towels.
Thank you. I use only MF towels from auto geek. The best ones for my Vette. Any suggestions for the leather Silver interior? Not dirty just want to brighten it up some. Thanks
Old 04-16-2015, 10:05 PM
Lacajun
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with my 78 Pace Car, especially on the black flat surfaces. I was successful in getting a mirror finish by using a clay bar first and then used meguiars with a 7 inch random orbital polisher.

Originally Posted by habib
I HAVE A 78 PACE CAr that I just purchased. The paint is very good but the prior owner used the wrong towels to clean it. What can I use to remove these fine scratches and some swirling marks?
Mostly fine scratches on the pain. Its Black and silver exterior.
I was going to first clay it but I know that clay will not remove them. Any suggestions?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:11 PM
habib
Racer

Originally Posted by Lacajun
I had the same problem with my 78 Pace Car, especially on the black flat surfaces. I was successful in getting a mirror finish by using a clay bar first and then used meguiars with a 7 inch random orbital polisher.
I did the Ultimate compound first. Should I still do the Clay???
Thanks any pictures of your 78
Old 04-16-2015, 11:04 PM
Lacajun
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The clay bar process will not remove scratches, only surface contamination. You could try a small section (about 2ft x 2ft) and slide your CLEAN, DRY fingers across the original surface and the clay bared surface and see if you can tell any difference. If there is not any noted difference, I would spend the rest of my time working on the scratches and spider web. You can find a good random orbital palm polisher at Advance Auto for about $20. Just let the weight of the polisher do the work keeping it in motion. Don't get in a hurry, let the polisher do the work. Black will show the slightest scratches so get a "California type duster" to remove the dust when showing the car. I spent 3 days polishing my hood and rear deck and spoiler. They really came out nice.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:54 AM
habib
Racer

Originally Posted by Lacajun
The clay bar process will not remove scratches, only surface contamination. You could try a small section (about 2ft x 2ft) and slide your CLEAN, DRY fingers across the original surface and the clay bared surface and see if you can tell any difference. If there is not any noted difference, I would spend the rest of my time working on the scratches and spider web. You can find a good random orbital palm polisher at Advance Auto for about $20. Just let the weight of the polisher do the work keeping it in motion. Don't get in a hurry, let the polisher do the work. Black will show the slightest scratches so get a "California type duster" to remove the dust when showing the car. I spent 3 days polishing my hood and rear deck and spoiler. They really came out nice.
Thank you. I will*try that. Do you have any pictures of your car to show me? Thank you
Old 04-17-2015, 04:51 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooser
M
I have used Zaino for years but just purchased some Adams products (e.g. Buttery Wax). So you like their products?
Old 04-17-2015, 07:31 PM
ZZZZZZ
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

NICE CAR, Just got one of those myself last fall
Old 04-17-2015, 07:41 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That is a BEAUTIFUL Pace Car
Old 04-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Just last week, I used Meguires cleaner, followed by Meguires polish, followed by Meguires carnuba wax. Great results. Wish there was a sealer to finish it off.

Get notified of new replies

To What to use to remove fine scratches

Old 04-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Originally Posted by paul 74
I have used Zaino for years but just purchased some Adams products (e.g. Buttery Wax). So you like their products?
I've been VERY happy with pretty much any of the Adams product I've bought (and I have lots, premium detailing products is not a great place to focus my OCD on).
For general upkeep and minor swirl marks etc I prefer them over the other stuff I've used (you name it, I've probably tried it at some point)

BUT
For heavier marks I'll go right back to Meguires or 3M (fresh paint safe)

You'll like the buttery way but if your comparing to zaino you'll need to dig deep and step up to one of their paste waxes (americana or patriot) to get the longevity.

I highly recommend their VRT for tires, switched the other year from 303 with no regrets and I really liked 303
M
Old 04-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Drink the kool-aid and get onto one of the detailing forums (fasten your seatbelt, whole different world there)

Basic process should go something along these lines but people have their own methods and what works for you - works for you.

heavy rinse

clean the wheels (do not dress them, just clean)

Door jambs

2 bucket wash

check and clay if required (thin plastic bag on your hand and gently go across the car, if you feel / hear anything you should clay) Make sure you use a proper lube when claying the car

paint correct (if required, if you clayed the car it should at least need a quick polish, maybe even just by hand) you may or may not wash clay residue off, honestly doesn't matter if your buffing anything)

Dress wheels (if using and applicator or sprays)

exterior glass (if required, I usually do it with the wash)
Wax/seal whatever your preference
Dress wheels (if using applicator)

If it's just a touch up for the weekend
clean wheels
not real dust (ie under a cover for the week) detail spray or waterless/rinseless wash if it needs a little cleaning
dress the wheels

All the best
M
Please consider not using a California duster, especially on black.

Or something like that, insert beer as required
Old 04-17-2015, 08:56 PM
Mooser
Race Director

And that is a beautiful SA/PC
M

Quick Reply: What to use to remove fine scratches