C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does replacment tilt steering column install without any lenght issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 10:21 PM
DRL502
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Does replacment tilt steering column install without any lenght issues?

I have a 1972 that i'm looking put a tilt steering column from flaming river . But their specs for a 1972 to column indicates 33 inches long and 3 inches from the firewall to the end of the spline shaft. when i took out my nontilt column it's 38 inches long and 7 inches from the firewall to the end of the spline shaft. Has anyone out there installed a tilt steering column from flaming river? Did the recommended tilit column fit without problems? I sent them these questions that i'd like answered before i put down $1100 - but havenot heard back yet
Old 04-18-2015, 09:13 PM
carretera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping an eye

Originally Posted by DRL502
I have a 1972 that i'm looking put a tilt steering column from flaming river . But their specs for a 1972 to column indicates 33 inches long and 3 inches from the firewall to the end of the spline shaft. when i took out my nontilt column it's 38 inches long and 7 inches from the firewall to the end of the spline shaft. Has anyone out there installed a tilt steering column from flaming river? Did the recommended tilit column fit without problems? I sent them these questions that i'd like answered before i put down $1100 - but havenot heard back yet
I'm curious, I bought a 69 yesterday and I fit ok 5'8'' 175 lbs but my nephew had a hard time getting out of car, we thought a tilt column would be the solution, there are used ones available have you looked at them, take care, Tony.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:02 PM
DRL502
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carretera
I'm curious, I bought a 69 yesterday and I fit ok 5'8'' 175 lbs but my nephew had a hard time getting out of car, we thought a tilt column would be the solution, there are used ones available have you looked at them, take care, Tony.
Thanks, i found out about "corvette columns" out of Texas, i plan on calling them Monday, they have what they call a hot rod stock column that looks like the ticket as i have put in a 5 spd tremec trans
Old 04-19-2015, 09:00 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

I am curious why you want aftermarket column, I have a 69 nice tilt tele column but the hazard feature is busted I have a nice 82 column I paid cheap for I plan to swap in, the later columns are also a couple inches shorter...nice for my 6 foot 2 sasquatch armed self...I will sell the 69 column and actually profit several 100 toad pelts.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:24 AM
carretera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will any coumn fit?

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I am curious why you want aftermarket column, I have a 69 nice tilt tele column but the hazard feature is busted I have a nice 82 column I paid cheap for I plan to swap in, the later columns are also a couple inches shorter...nice for my 6 foot 2 sasquatch armed self...I will sell the 69 column and actually profit several 100 toad pelts.
I like the idea of the column being a couple of inches shorter, do you know what years were shorter and would any C3 column fit? Can I use the original steering wheel? Thanks, Tony.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:17 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Bats am I reading correctly ,youre going to put the 8x column in your 69?
Too many differences there, wiring etc.
69 column repair is easy it'll just be a turns signal switch R&R if the only thing wrong is the flasher button/function broken.
Or I'll give you 100 clean toad pelts for the 69 column, hell I'll throw in a skunk spleen to cover shipping
Old 04-22-2015, 07:11 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You may find this paper to be helpful. It outlines installing a 1977-1982 Corvette T&T column into a 1969-1975 Vette.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=894

Also this is further information with my humble opinion.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=891

Jim
Old 04-22-2015, 12:46 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
Bats am I reading correctly ,youre going to put the 8x column in your 69?
Too many differences there, wiring etc.
69 column repair is easy it'll just be a turns signal switch R&R if the only thing wrong is the flasher button/function broken.
Or I'll give you 100 clean toad pelts for the 69 column, hell I'll throw in a skunk spleen to cover shipping
All that's wrong is the hazard switch
100?

Yeah, I have a really nice 82 ce column, "too many differences?"
I guess for some people, remember I mod my cars, wiring? not a problem at all, "etc" not sure when you mean there...but Mr Shea has been kind enough to post a link to all the very good reasons for me to use the 82 column....I would even take advantage of the cornering lamps feature and at 6'2" I would like loosing 2".
I am on the fence, lots of needed repairs coming first.

I didn't think any of the after market columns have both tilt and tele, so I really do not see their attaction...

Get notified of new replies

To Does replacment tilt steering column install without any lenght issues?

Quick Reply: Does replacment tilt steering column install without any lenght issues?