Sponsored by:

"Numbers Matching" or "Period Correct"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 07:53 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by tokim
I appreciate period correct cars, because that is what was done back in the day.

Not trying to start any bashing, just curious if others are into period correct cars.
Sounds like you`re talking about our 66 goat... pretty much stock except for chrome-reverse with baby moons, cherry bombs, and hi-jackers!

Old 05-29-2015, 08:41 PM
john 72-04
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a huge emphasis these days on numbers matching Corvettes, and all muscle/collector cars for that matter. Factory original bone stock=premium price. Admittedly there are exceptions, high dollar restomods, customs, famous previous owner, etc.

But in the year your car was new, would you have walked into the showroom, bought your new C3, and left it completely stock/original?

If when I was 16, I could have afforded a new '71 like mine, the first thing I would have done was change out the wheels, to Cragars or Americans, then followed up with an aftermarket stereo, and then engine mods (headers, carb, intake, cam).

I'm not knocking numbers matching nut and bolt correct restorations..but curious why more people don't concentrate on what mods would have been done back in the day, another words "period correct".
I appreciate period correct cars, because that is what was done back in the day.

I gravitate to the unrestored period correct cars when at a show, bypassing the showroom perfect examples (I know what they looked like brand new, I was there).
In short what I am getting to is personalization of your dream car, when it was new, with period correct pieces from the day.

Not trying to start any bashing, just curious if others are into period correct cars.
I prefer original but your comments are very well stated and I completely understand your view. Never thought about it that way. New point of view for me. I like it thanks.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:43 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

I've owned my dream car and it was least fun car I've ever owned. I bought a 1970 Plymouth Superbird 440 six pack 4-speed because I've always thought they were the coolest cars when I was growing up.

The problem with it was when restoring it I always had to be concerned about originality and authenticity. I couldn't modify or hotrod it like I always had with my cars.

I ending up selling it because it wasn't fun. Since then I've always had cars I could personalize to my liking and drive the hell out of without worrying about it.

I can appreciate an original car but for me the hobby is about having fun driving the car and making it my own.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:09 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

All my vettes are period correct. The major parts are numbers matching, engine block, heads, transmission, differential. But some of the other parts are period correct, or stock looking. Alternators are replacement, but not numbers matching. Some of the carbs may not be numbers matching. At least one has a replacement GM distributor, etc.

I like to keep them stock appearing. But trying to track down a numbers matching build date is beyond what I want to do for my enjoyment.

kdf
Old 05-29-2015, 09:47 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

There is a huge emphasis these days on numbers matching Corvettes, and all muscle/collector cars for that matter. Factory original bone stock=premium price. Admittedly there are exceptions, high dollar restomods, customs, famous previous owner, etc.

But in the year your car was new, would you have walked into the showroom, bought your new C3, and left it completely stock/original?

If when I was 16, I could have afforded a new '71 like mine, the first thing I would have done was change out the wheels, to Cragars or Americans, then followed up with an aftermarket stereo, and then engine mods (headers, carb, intake, cam).

I'm not knocking numbers matching nut and bolt correct restorations..but curious why more people don't concentrate on what mods would have been done back in the day, another words "period correct".

I gravitate to the unrestored period correct cars when at a show, bypassing the showroom perfect examples (I know what they looked like brand new, I was there).
In short what I am getting to is personalization of your dream car, when it was new, with period correct pieces from the day.

Yeah .....I am into the nostalgic era look... Brings back high school memories......I like the hot rod old school mods .that are period correct . I had a Z28 as a 16 year old . I changed the wheels to big bad Cragar SS , Gabriel Hi Jackers , CA custom Air cleaner, ...Moroso valve covers , traction bars etc....8 track tape ..LOL ....I love seeing survivor period cars. And a bad azz thrush muffler set up...lol
My first vette a nice 74 ....I was a teen .... I left the body alone , but had the L 48 built into a screamer .

That stuff was fun back then . The non perfect restored , old school cars are cool.....like the cherry bombs I had on my 74 back then ....LOUD my girlfriends dad hated my corvette . He drove a VW Rabbit ....go figure

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 05-29-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:35 AM
rastafford3164
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Not into LS swaps, fuel injection or any of that stuff. What guys do with that is great, just not my bag. There are a few mods I want to do to make the car safer, but I usually ask myself "Is this something I would have done if I owned the car 30 years ago?" and usually try to stay with stuff that IS "period correct" as long as it works well. It really is our "time machine" back to high school. I thought I was the only one interested in this stuff. You go to shows and have to listen to the purists blah blah you with "You KNOW that is not correct?" Whatever though, because it only has to please US. Cheers, Allan
Old 05-30-2015, 10:44 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...curious why more people don't concentrate on what mods would have been done back in the day, another words "period correct"...I appreciate period correct cars, because that is what was done back in the day...
Who is going to define what was correct in that period? You say you would have added wheels and a stereo. I may not have done either. Which of our cars would have been period correct?

At that time, all I wanted was to keep gas in the car, my 12-string tuned, and the constant company of a little blue eyed blonde. I still have the 12-string. The blond was in Houston last I heard.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 05-30-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:11 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I generally like factory correct except when you can "update" the car and retain the original design intent

No way I'm putting back on the 15" Rally's when I can have this more modern look and pay homage to the original design.

Other that the wheel upgrade the original design stands the test of time, Classic!
Attached Images     

Last edited by donbayers; 05-30-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:55 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Who is going to define what was correct in that period? You say you would have added wheels and a stereo. I may not have done either. Which of our cars would have been period correct?

At that time, all I wanted was to keep gas in the car, my 12-string tuned, and the constant company of a little blue eyed blonde. I still have the 12-string. The blond was in Houston last I heard.

My point, and I believe all who replied understood, was that the (I'll go out on a limb here) majority of new muscle/sports car owners back then modified their cars in some way..chrome air cleaner/valve covers/stereo/side pipes/custom paint/carb/intake/cam, etc. to name a few.
I believe you would have been the exception, rather than the rule.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '18

My point, and I believe all who replied understood, was that the (I'll go out on a limb here) majority of new muscle/sports car owners back then modified their cars in some way..chrome air cleaner/valve covers/stereo/side pipes/custom paint/carb/intake/cam, etc. to name a few.
I believe you would have been the exception, rather than the rule.

I think op was splitting hairs when asking what was period correct, if you were around in 60's & 70's and into cars you know exactly what was meant, maybe it wasn't correct per se but isn't that what hot ridding is all about, it's easy to spot many cars and their style, upgrades whatever will reflect the era.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:29 PM
bellaireroad
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by donbayers
I generally like factory correct except when you can "update" the car and retain the original design intent

No way I'm putting back on the 15" Rally's when I can have this more modern look and pay homage to the original design.

Other that the wheel upgrade the original design stands the test of time, Classic!
Those are nice, who makes them?
Old 05-30-2015, 01:40 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bellaireroad
Those are nice, who makes them?
Here you go Awesome product for the money and company

https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/whee...yearone-wheels

I blame Zoomin. He got them first and once I saw them I knew my wallet was going to get thinner. We put some threads up on them if you search
Old 05-31-2015, 10:41 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I believe you would have been the exception, rather than the rule...
I don't disagree; all I'm saying is how will you define "period correct"? Your car had wheels and a stereo; my car was stock. Both are in the same period. Wouldn't each be "period correct"?
Old 05-31-2015, 11:26 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
I don't disagree; all I'm saying is how will you define "period correct"? Your car had wheels and a stereo; my car was stock. Both are in the same period. Wouldn't each be "period correct"?

Okay, for clarity..for those who chose to modify their cars.
Cars with period correct modifications.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:05 PM
boatmark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in the period correct modification group. I do appreciate a perfectly correct restored car, but that has just never been my thing.

I think some of it has to do with how you view your car, and what you intend to do with it. Restored cars tend to be skewed towards show queen, where conversely the guys modifying their cars tend to be the drive it and have fun crowd. Yes, that is a gross generalization, but I don't think it is far off. (and was not meant to offend anyone)

I have owned my car for thirty years, so when we did the modifications (molded fiberglas bumpers, wheels, engine mods, music, etc.) I wasn't messing with a "classic", I was taking a cool six year old used car and personalizing it to my taste.

I've always personalized my vehicles. I don't think any new truck I've ever owed made it through the first tank of gas with its original wheels or stance.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:23 PM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Ok, so I was very young when the C3's were the "hot items". I was born in 83'. So by the time I was into cars and picking them out, the C4 was the Corvette to have. And while I do like the C4, I have always been drawn to the C3's. With that, I am not all about numbers matching, but I like thing to work and act like they did when they were new. For me, it is the challenge to learn about the old tech and keep it going. Every car I have owned as daily drivers have all been fuel injected, power steering, brakes, windows, etc...

So when I open the hood under the Stingray, I love to see the points distributor, the rubber seal around the air intake, remove that and see the quadrajet, the AC compressor, the big fan blade attached to the engine, etc... When I start the car I like that I have to set the choke and then to have it run at its high idle until I blip the throttle and it idles down to its normal rpm. You just don't get that feeling from the newer cars where you flip the key or push a button and the car starts itself.

But I don't mind seeing mods done to others. If the cars have been modified in the past and would be crazy to try and return to a previous state, by all means, go ahead and mod it. Have fun with it. That is what is great about this hobby, there are so many choices.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Kelleyo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far mine has been left totally stock and original numbers matching. Low mileage and a fair amount of "patina". I plan to keep it as is in mechanically sound running order. No restoration or mods. If I ever did mods, I would keep the original parts in case someone wanted it back to original...

This however is just my preference as the current custodian of this car. If I had one that did not have the original engine, etc I would probably do a lot of mods (crate motor, brake upgrades, new stereo, etc)...

Quick Reply: "Numbers Matching" or "Period Correct"?