Sponsored by:

Lets Vent A Little!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Lets Vent A Little!!!

This isn't anywhere NEAR the only thing I've done wrong, or had to do two or three OR FOUR times in my build... it's just today's escapade and I needed a break from the car so I'm posting this rant!

Yesterday was a decent day. Got the power steering pump and lines in, alternator mounted, front a/c bracket, fuel pump to carb lines in as shown in the picture above.

Today I prepped the fan with the new fan clutch, put the water pump pulley on and hung the fan with one bolt. WHOOPS... better put the fan shroud on. Only got one bolt on, not too bad. Try to get the shroud in, won't fit, hitting water pump pulley. Remove pulley, nope, now it's hitting the front a/c bracket, so that comes off. Nope, fuel lines in the way, so those come off. Test fitting it again, nope, and chipped my nicely painted oil cap that time. Hung a rag on the oil fill! One more time, nope, crank pulley has to come off. Dropped a bolt from the crank pulley. Leaned under the car to get it and saw all of the power steering fluid I put in yesterday on the ground. Good grief, time for a breather!

On a bright note, found that I forgot to tighten the pressure line on the back of the pump (because I was going to do that from the top at a better angle... surprise... I forgot!).

So, what have you done, or undone, or redone lately???
Old 08-31-2015, 07:19 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Fried the ignition module in the upgraded HEI distributor on the '68 basketcase-(love this car)-project within one year of the spare-used HEI installation......chalked it up to a 30 year-old ign. module......

WRONG........try again!

Removed the Ignition RESISTOR power wire (well....all but 5" at the firewall) and crimped a 12 ga copper-strand power wire from the resistor pigtail to the dist. terminal...this HAS to solve the problem!

Fried the SECOND module in two years.......................

Wrong.......try again!

Replaced the ENTIRE Ign. power wire from the firewall terminal block to the dist. terminal per Forum members................................

Installed the 3rd module.........done correctly in three tries..............

Finally!
Old 08-31-2015, 07:21 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, I quit!!! ZERO clearance between crank pulley and water pump pulley. Off to the "parts for sale" section. Anyone know what crank pulley I need? The water pump pulley numbers match those in the AIM. Crank pulley was too old to find a #, but it was on the engine when I got it so I "assumed..."

Old 08-31-2015, 07:51 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

If you loosened the waterpump mounting bolts could you nudge the pump up enough to get "daylight" between the pump pulley and the crank pulley......then retighten the pump mounting bolts?????
Old 08-31-2015, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll try it. It was just BARELY clearing when the water pump pulley was loose with an intermittent "touch" and I thought maybe once I tightened it it would be fine... didn't go that way. Bound up pretty good. I can still turn the pump by hand but it's marking both pulleys. They are both powder coated and I know that adds some mass, but I can't imagine the pulleys being that close from the factory???
Old 08-31-2015, 08:07 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

The pulleys are real close.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:16 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by 13611
I'll try it. It was just BARELY clearing when the water pump pulley was loose with an intermittent "touch" and I thought maybe once I tightened it it would be fine... didn't go that way. Bound up pretty good. I can still turn the pump by hand but it's marking both pulleys. They are both powder coated and I know that adds some mass, but I can't imagine the pulleys being that close from the factory???
Let's see it's a little after 5pm where you are . Time to take a break and re group. This kind of crap is all par for what we are trying to do. Take a moment Jason, although doing a lets vent post is a good idea. I have to remember this when it hits the fan for me. measure the pullies across the back and I will see if they match the donor. You might have 350 pullies.
ZIO
Old 08-31-2015, 08:19 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default vent

Here is mine:

Old 08-31-2015, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's pictures with measurements:

Back of crank pulley.

Front of crank pulley

Side view of crank pulley

Back of water pump pulley

Side of water pump
Old 08-31-2015, 09:56 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If I may add to your rant thread. I am sick of leaking brake calipers. I am almost ready to buy a set of wilwood.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:15 AM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Any leak sucks!!! Got the pulley problem handled with help from forum members on a WTB thread I started. I've been educated on the correct pulley. Woohoo!!! No wonder it takes years to get these cars built!!!
Old 09-01-2015, 05:38 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default vent

Great! I bet your glad that challenge is over. On to the next one, or maybe you will catch a well deserved break and things will go smooth.
Learning a lot from you since you are a few steps ahead. You are really getting there.
Carry On!
ZIO
Old 09-01-2015, 06:10 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by rvzio
Great! I bet your glad that challenge is over. On to the next one, or maybe you will catch a well deserved break and things will go smooth.
Learning a lot from you since you are a few steps ahead. You are really getting there.
Carry On!
ZIO

And that 327 is looking very nice!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:48 AM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by The Punisher
If I may add to your rant thread. I am sick of leaking brake calipers. I am almost ready to buy a set of wilwood.
Bingo!!! Was just going to post the same thing. I rebuilt the calipers and put new rotors on about 3 years ago. The Vette build is almost complete and now am having reservations on the calipers (will they leak or not). I've seen a lot of folks talking about leaks after rebuilding them so has got me spooked. Other problem I have is that I also powder coated them a color that I am not satisfied with now and do not want to mess with redoing them again. Thinking about ordering a complete Wilwood setup myself. Wish I would have done that right off the bat three years ago.

Terry
Old 09-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

So, what have you done, or undone, or redone lately???
I completely rebuilt my ac system and was going to get it evacuated and charged BUT...

The first time I had a bad schrader valve. Fixed it.

The second time I had a leaking hose fitting. Fixed it.

The third time a fitting on the accumulator had worked itself loose and was leaking. Fixed it.

The fourth time it finally held a vacuum and charged without a leak.

Sometimes you just have to walk away from these cars for a few days!

Old 09-01-2015, 10:21 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Got the pulley problem handled

Get notified of new replies

To Lets Vent A Little!!!

Quick Reply: Lets Vent A Little!!!