Sponsored by:

Crossfire Engine Problem '82

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 08:29 PM
jgonzo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crossfire Engine Problem '82

Hi, have an '82 Crossfire. Engine has been running great. idles about 650 and has been running strong. About 4 miles into my ride today I noticed the engine hesitating a little, like it was missing or not firing right. I pulled over, popped the hood, removed the aircleaner and filters, started up and observed the injectors. Both firing in sync and getting adequate fuel. Driving back home was rough. As I was parking it, the idle dropped below 500 and then engine would stall. Last week it ran fine no issues.

So >>>> I guess I will need to start with checking >>>?? Any idea why all of a sudden this happened? should I change the spark plugs, wires, ??

Very bummed out - thanks
Old 09-13-2015, 08:31 PM
jgonzo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and I recently changed the speedo housing to an aluminum one and a new driven gear. Added 2 qts of Tranny fluid
Old 09-13-2015, 11:17 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

The best advice I can give you is to check out the "sticky" in the "tech" section. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...solutions.html
A lot of good reading and troubleshooting info for problems that our CFI's may encounter....
Could be different things, such as the ignition module, plugs, timing, short, etc., etc. Look at the section that is appropriate for your problem. Follow the steps one at a time to help eliminate replacing parts that you don't have to, take your time and ask questions as needed when using the "sticky", and don't be bummed out, as it maybe something simple that will get your engine running good again............Good luck.....Tom

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 09-13-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:35 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jgonzo
Hi, have an '82 Crossfire. Engine has been running great. idles about 650 and has been running strong. About 4 miles into my ride today I noticed the engine hesitating a little, like it was missing or not firing right. I pulled over, popped the hood, removed the aircleaner and filters, started up and observed the injectors. Both firing in sync and getting adequate fuel. Driving back home was rough. As I was parking it, the idle dropped below 500 and then engine would stall. Last week it ran fine no issues.

So >>>> I guess I will need to start with checking >>>?? Any idea why all of a sudden this happened? should I change the spark plugs, wires, ??

Very bummed out - thanks

The '82's have a 25 micron fuel filter mounted on the frame right under the passenger's feet. That filter needs to be changed every 25,000 miles because it will plug easily. Then for kicks stick a 1/4" X 3" bolt into a spark plug wire and clamp the wire so the end of the bolt is about 1" from a good ground. If it doesn't produce a 1" long spark your ignition module may be failing.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:40 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I would check fuel pressure.have you changed fuel pump?this is the first place I check on 82s.my car can also stumble when low on fuel going around a corner.

Get notified of new replies

To Crossfire Engine Problem '82

Quick Reply: Crossfire Engine Problem '82