C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 L-82 Stock Engine Bay Pics NEEDED!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 06:55 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Andredechimpansee
Hi,
title says 78, question states 79...guess you want them for a 79?
I have a 79 myself and on the pictures stated to be all original, the waterpump looks different from mine.
( not saying my pump would be the right one, because my airfilter, smog and cat are sertainly not original...)
Congrats on your purchase and admirable intentions!

grtz
Typo. All fixed now.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:01 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy

Sorry to hijack the thread but this picture (now with a very light red circle around the part I'm referring to) shows a part that I've been wondering about; what is the part circled in Red coming out of the intake? -That's the EGR valve right?

-I had my stock manifolds replaced with headers and the AIR pump removed, and that part had no vacuum hose connected to it right now -it's just open to the world. Is this going to cause a vacuum leak or does it have some sort of one-way valve inside?

-If I want to remove the EGR valve what do I do and what do I put in it's place?

Adam
Yes, that's the EGR valve. The EGR is normally closed so you won't have EGR with is disconnected. As long as its vacuum source (the carburetor via a thermal vacuum switch near the thermostat housing) has been properly shut off you won't have any vacuum leak.

Both the EGR pintle (the piece that closes the valve and looks like an upside-down top hat) and its seat are well known (to include modern vehicles) for building up "deposits" that prevent complete closure and result in a "lumpy" idle.

If you want to completely eliminate the EGR, get and Edelbrock Performer intake manifold without the EGR option. Otherwise leave the valve installed but consider removal for cleaning of both its pintle and the seat.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:52 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I realize this is an older thread, but KapSA, it's interesting that yours doesn't have a crossed flag decal on the passenger valve cover, and i know your car is original. Did it ever have one to your knowledge?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:41 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
I realize this is an older thread, but KapSA, it's interesting that yours doesn't have a crossed flag decal on the passenger valve cover, and i know your car is original. Did it ever have one to your knowledge?
Took that pic after detailing and before replacing the emblem.

Quick Reply: 1978 L-82 Stock Engine Bay Pics NEEDED!!