Sponsored by:

On the road again...sorta

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 08:44 AM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Default On the road again...sorta

Ok, I'm not a "regular" poster, so most probably wont recognize me. But Ive been on here for several years and working to get my 78 road worthy for about 6 years now. After rebuilding the front end, brake system, fuel system, putting together a 383 stroker and rebuilding the TH350, new cooling system (Volvo fan/relay), elec headlight motors, etc, etc (the list goes on), I was finally CLOSE to getting on the road. Engine ran, but not well, needed alignment and side yokes.

BUT, a new house and a new baby just would not afford me the time to do much. So I sent it to a shop to finish up. Luckily, everything was pretty easy and the car is now running and driving pretty well (so im told, i pick it up later this week). BUT, he is telling me there is a fair amount of play in the steering wheel and that the control valve needs replaced. Im a bit puzzled as the control valve is new and the steering box is rebuilt. This is a corvette shop and they do seem to know what they are doing and have listened to my goals for the car (really great guys actually), but im confused by this. I asked him not to do it for now so I can look at it myself. Besides the gear box, is there any other adjustments that can be made to take this up? He says the car tracks true, but there is just about an 8th of a turn of play in the wheel.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:10 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Rag joint?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:15 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Rag joint?
With the engine OFF (engine OFF will give a better "feel" of the looseness).......while you are watching the rag joint and the shafts that are connected to the rag joint.......have someone turn the steering wheel slowly to the left (1/4 turn) until it removes the slack....then slowly to the right from center 1/4 turn.

Notice if all the shafts/rag joint are rotating the same amount....or does the steering column shaft seem to rotate more than the rag joint or more than the steering shaft that goes into the top of the steering box.

Also notice if the tie rods that are connected to the pitman arm start moving AFTER the input shaft on the steering box moves.

REMEMBER.....only turn the steering wheel no more than 1/4 turn each way so you don't stress the internal parts of the steering system. You are ONLY trying to locate the SLACK.

Last edited by doorgunner; 03-09-2016 at 10:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Andy Tuttle (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Doorgunner, thanks for the tip! I will try that out when I get it back here. The ragjoint is also new, so hopefully that is not the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To On the road again...sorta

Quick Reply: On the road again...sorta