C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP! How do I register a 1968 NY Vette in Ca no title only Transfer Form

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 08:51 PM
galiwampus
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP! How do I register a 1968 NY Vette in Ca no title only Transfer Form

Hi guys! I didnt know where else to turn, so, I need your help!

I live in California, I just bought a 1968 Corvette from a local guy who bought the car in New York and registered it in his name. It looks like prior to 1973 New York did not have titles on cars.

So, it came with a New York Registration that had "transferable" on the front with the sellers name on the front, he signed it over to me and provided a bill of sale.

I went to DMV California and they wouldnt offer a title to me in California without the Title from New York, but as far as I have researched Ny didnt have titles back then.

I will eventually resell this car, how can I get a California title???

A company suggested that I do a lien sale and put the car in my name and California would send me a title.

The seller is been trying to help but we need some suggestions!

THANK YOU!!!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:23 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Dont have a good answer for you but you are correct NY does not have titles for anything older than 73. I have had DMV issues with cars Ive purchased from out of state and have tried different DMV offices and had better luck, dont know if that is an option for you. I dont quite follow how CA wouldnt know that NY is a non title state prior to 73.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:35 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

Many AAA's have a DMV section and I've found the people behind the counter to be, shall we say, less doctrinaire.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:39 PM
galiwampus
8th Gear

Thanks I have seen other posts about AAA. A registration company suggested that they file for a lien sale and the CA state would issue me a title in my name. Just not sure what exactly I should do .
Old 04-19-2016, 09:40 PM
galiwampus
8th Gear

They said it takes about 30 days to process

THE GUY AT THE DMV told me he had NEVER seen it before and had to ask someone.

THEN he winked, told me to take the NY plates off, take it to another DMV with just the Bill of sale and that would work?!?!! WHAT>!>!>!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:52 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

It's not too difficult. Once bought an old car with nothing but a bill of sale. Took it to AAA, they inspected it, and took care of everything, left with a registration and license plates. Once bought an old motorcycle with nothing but a bill of sale, and the AAA couldn't help me. Ended up going to the DMV, scheduled an appt, with the CHP for a vin verification, took that back to the DMV, filled out a statement of facts, explaining to the best of my knowledge, the vehicle had never been operated on public roads in CA, and I left with registration and a license plate. They really want to help you, cause they really want your money.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:24 PM
68blvert
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

NY did not issue titles to cars prior to 1973. What you got was a Transferable Registration. On the back side of the registration card was a spot for the current owner to whom the car was registered to assign new ownership to a purchaser by signing off on it. Other than this the only other way to prove ownership was with the original bill of sale from the dealer. Most states will not accept the transferable registration as proof of a legal purchase. This is the currant nightmare i'm dealing with now here in Indiana. 68 purchased new by dad in ny. was on the road until 1984. he passed away 8 years ago. i inherited the car. I have all the paperwork going back to when new, the transferable registration from 1984, the protect-o-plate and a copy of the will. Indiana will not issue me a title even though they told me that all i need is a copy of the will and the transferable warranty. I have tried every way they want for the past year to get a title issued, filing all paperwork and following all the procedures they ask and they still say it's not enough. Even went before a judge to get a court order for the state to issue me a title. You know what he said. Yes i am right. Yes I have all the documentation needed. Yes they should grant me the title BUT he said, I am not going to grant the order because the Indiana DMV should know better and he is tired of seeing my kinds of cases. WTF!!! So because this petty, prejudiced judge is mad at the state he's not going to grant me what is right. Sorry if I hijacked your post and went off on a rant. My problem is not yours. I wish you all the luck and if you figure out a way to get it please let me know.

Get notified of new replies

To PLEASE HELP! How do I register a 1968 NY Vette in Ca no title only Transfer Form

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! How do I register a 1968 NY Vette in Ca no title only Transfer Form