C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have experience with Gateway Classic Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:26 PM
Jcpstrat
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Anyone have experience with Gateway Classic Cars?

My white ’74 is for sale on this forum but I got a call yesterday from “Gateway Classics Cars” and they said they wanted my car for their showroom in Louisville, Ky. I’m only about an hour away from Louisville but personally have never heard of them. I’ve already had to deal with multiple car scams out of Las Vegas but GCC seems different, even though they’re basically a consignment business.

Some internet research came up with quite a few dissatisfied buyers, mainly due to having problems with the car after buying it and getting little or no help from GCC, but I can see that happening and think checking it out really good before buying is the buyers responsibility. Didn’t find much info. from sellers other than GCC wanting them to lower the price after awhile.

Thought I’d check in here to see if anyone has dealt with them and what you’re overall impression/experience was! Thanks
Old 04-26-2016, 09:08 PM
henryr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the must have space.....and need cars

i have gotten the same call from auction cos looking to diversify their line up.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:12 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcpstrat
My white ’74 is for sale on this forum but I got a call yesterday from “Gateway Classics Cars” and they said they wanted my car for their showroom in Louisville, Ky. I’m only about an hour away from Louisville but personally have never heard of them. I’ve already had to deal with multiple car scams out of Las Vegas but GCC seems different, even though they’re basically a consignment business.

Some internet research came up with quite a few dissatisfied buyers, mainly due to having problems with the car after buying it and getting little or no help from GCC, but I can see that happening and think checking it out really good before buying is the buyers responsibility. Didn’t find much info. from sellers other than GCC wanting them to lower the price after awhile.

Thought I’d check in here to see if anyone has dealt with them and what you’re overall impression/experience was! Thanks
Look at their contract it says when your car sells you give them your title and they give you one of their checks ??I will go check them out I live Just above you in Sadieville
Wes
Old 04-26-2016, 09:53 PM
thatcorvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I've been there. I haven't sold anything with them but, I can tell you they misrepresent their cars. What they consider a frame off is what I consider needs total restoration.

Last edited by thatcorvetteguy; 04-26-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:54 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

They are a typical consignment place, the agreed price has to include enough room for the seller and Gateway to make money, of course. They have a place near St Louis too. They commonly call people with classic cars advertised for sale to get consignments in. Nothing insidious, nothing special, they are a consignment business. Naturally, they do not want to hear about complaints after the sale; their position is that they provide the seller with an avenue to sell and the rest of it is up to the buyer and seller.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:05 PM
Jcpstrat
Racer

Thanks everyone... appreciate your input. Wes ... keep in touch as I'd like to here what you think. I'd like to see their contract too and wouldn't mind running over there just to check out their setup! John
Old 05-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Jcpstrat
Racer

Here's a follow-up with the answers I got from Gateway Classic Cars. Most of this sounded good to me except for their answer to my question #5, which is exactly why I'm really looking for feedback from anyone who has dealt with them. If I sign a contract and somehow the car gets damaged while with them, legally it appears they don't have to do anything but they say they will. Will they really do something if they aren't legally bound to do anything?

Their minimum sales commission is $2,500 or 12% of the sales price, whichever is higher. After the sale you do get your agreed to $’s after you provide a good and clear title, which must be done within 72 hrs of being notified of the sale. Fail to meet any of their requirements and you could be looking at some hefty penalties. The bottom line for me is I think I’d rather put my car up for auction on eBay than go with them … just sounds scary to me but I could be wrong.

Q1: Can you send a copy of the contract? They did attach a copy of contract. Send me a private message if you want a copy of contract.

Q2: When is the $195 due?

A2: The $195 would be due as the final step before leaving the car with us, as in, after we evaluate the car, and finalize your in pocket price and you have agreed on everything and ready to leave car with us to sell.

Q3: What happens after 90 days?

A3: After 90 days you have a few options. You could renew for another 90 days or you can come pick the car up after day 90 with no other obligations, fees or questions asked. With this option, you have a 7 day grace period to arrange pickup method.

Q4: Am I responsible for getting the car to your showroom?

A4: Yes, you are responsible for travel to our showroom with the car. If you need shipping assistance, we work with local and national shippers that offer discounted rates for customers coming to us, I could always get you a quote.

Q5: If car is damaged while in your possession, how is repair handled?

A5: If the car is damaged in our possession, again a few things could happen. For one, if it is our fault, we will take care of it, in our 17 years we have never had a claim of damage to our cars. But, what you will see in our contract is that we aren’t liable for damages, but that’s only because we cant insure these vehicles because we do not own them. But as stated, we will take care of anything that may happen.

Q6: Will you provide a list of the places you advertise the car? They did attach a list of places they will advertise the car. Private email me if you want this list.

A6: Ive attached a file of our current marketing website list.

Q7: What options/requirements are available to the buyer for checking the car out?

A7: If a buyer wants to check out a car, a salesman is required, we lock doors and put do not touch signs on all of our cars, so if assistance is needed, the salesmen will be there to open doors pop hoods etc and be there with buyer while car is being looked at. Also, only way we offer test drives is after a $1000 down payment and purchase contract is already written out by the buyer. Then, the salesmen is the one who drives the car at low speed around our parking lot to make sure major components of car are in working order.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:59 PM
David L. Gray
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Avoid Gateway Classic Cars

Before you consign or buy at Gateway Classic Cars, learn about the dark side of their processes here: http://www.gatewayclassiccars.info/

Not good at all.
The following users liked this post:
crb1961 (12-15-2020)
Old 03-08-2019, 04:10 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by David L. Gray
Before you consign or buy at Gateway Classic Cars, learn about the dark side of their processes here: http://www.gatewayclassiccars.info/

Not good at all.
To me, that's a solid indication of how Gateway's legal team stays quite busy.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:30 PM
DKM-106
Melting Slicks

Received 699 Likes on 425 Posts

So, I know the owners of Gateway Classic cars and Streetside Classics. They are two of the largest consignment shops. In general, it can be a good avenue to sell your car depending on what it is. I have no financial affiliation with either dealer. If you want, you can pm me and I would be more than happy to chat about it. Thanks and good luck with your car....
Old 03-08-2019, 04:43 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

Hopefully he got it sold. That was almost 3 yrs ago
Old 03-08-2019, 04:49 PM
DKM-106
Melting Slicks

Received 699 Likes on 425 Posts

Good catch!
Old 03-08-2019, 05:31 PM
av81
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have no experence with Gateway but I have sold cars on consignment before at similar type dealers , both times they never called me to tell me the car was sold I was told by friends that stopped by to look around .... one friend asked a salesman about my car and he said it sold a few months ago.Both times I got jerked around trying to get a check it was not easy , and finally both cars sold for more money than they told me I found out well after. One car got traded back to the same dealer and the salesman said how much the car sold for.
I would not recommend doing it sell it yourself.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:12 AM
Jcpstrat
Racer

I was contacted by them about 2 years ago when I was selling my '74 (mentioned above in post). I already had 2 "Run Until it Sells" ads going with Cars.com and AutoTrader Classics but according to "Classic Cars" I couldn't continue to try to find a buyer thru my existing ads so I decided to pass on "Classic Cars". My car did sell thru one of my ads although it just sold last summer so it may have taken longer to find the right buyer by doing it myself. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
crb1961 (12-15-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have experience with Gateway Classic Cars?

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with Gateway Classic Cars?