If I block off EGR, what to do about solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:35 AM
Sjfraz1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I block off EGR, what to do about solenoid

Hey gang!
First, I would like to thank everyone who has helped me so far. I am using my phone and don't see a "thanks" option, though it is much deserved.
So, I have a rough idle and discovered that my egr had one bolt that was not screwed in at all. Tightened it (no diff) discovered that the egr is bad. Instead of spending $70, I want to block it off.
If I do this, what do I do with the solenoid? Should I plug the egr lead off and call it good? How will my ECM deal with that? Will it just keep on clicking away thing it is doing its job?
Well, thanks again for the help, and hopefully this will fix the idle!
Old 04-27-2016, 08:15 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

What year?
Old 04-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Sjfraz1
Cruising

Sorry, it's an 81 with a a ST10.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:49 AM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I assume you are working on and '81 so I believe you would probably have to disable the CCC system so you would have to swap out the Distributor and the Carb as those two items are controlled by the ECM.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:05 PM
Sjfraz1
Cruising

Sorry for the delayed responses, I am in Hawaii, so the time difference is killer.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Sjfraz1
Cruising

Originally Posted by larryg3
I assume you are working on and '81 so I believe you would probably have to disable the CCC system so you would have to swap out the Distributor and the Carb as those two items are controlled by the ECM.
Larry,
With the egr all jacked, it would have a rough time starting after warming up if I didn't set the choke. Once it got going the computer managed to keep the idle at 900-ish from then on.
If it wasn't opening at all, and had a massive vacuum leak, what harm could blocking it do? I ran out of daylight before I could chase this thought down. Maybe tonight... thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 AM
Sjfraz1
Cruising

Update: So I made a blocking plate and bought a stock Gasket and sealed the EGR ports. I plugged the vacuum lead from the solenoid with a golf tee.
Started engine and had high (1.5k), but smooth idle for a few minutes. I kicked off the choke and the engine started getting rough. I could hear the solenoid clicking and when it did the engine would shake.
After a minute or two, it stopped clicking and the engine smoothed out to 750-800rpm and ran like a champ. Started right up after a stop, unlike before, and has very responsive throttle.

I will monitor the fuel economy on the remainder of the tank and also note how it operates when hot.

I hope this experiment works. I have done this on my ford's and Asian vehicles but not on a Chevy, especially a cali-81.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To If I block off EGR, what to do about solenoid

Quick Reply: If I block off EGR, what to do about solenoid