Introduction and a request for advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 01:50 PM
Brian Mathews
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Introduction and a request for advice

Hello!

My name is Brian and this is my first post to the forum after reading for a long time. I wanted a chrome bumpered C3 since I was 17 and just after turning 40 my wife finally let me put a little cash down on a serious project car!

I wish I could have bought a car in better condition but I had to start somewhere. In my garage sits a 1968 Convertible. I have a great frame with a birdcage with zero rust and a very good body with a clean title. I do have the suspension and differential...basically a rolling chassis. I have assorted other pieces but that is about it To start my project I replaced the gas tank, and sanded and painted the frame and engine bay.

My questions start here: I found a 1984 coupe for basically nothing and picked it up for parts. It has the stock engine (which has been stroked to a 383) and the infamous 4+3 transmission (It just has to be a manual for me). I know I will use the engine and trans but I am thinking of what else I can take from this donor car. I am missing one c3 brake caliper so I am thinking about taking the C4 brake calipers and rotors and maybe the seats. Would any other parts be useful to grab off the 1984?

I also would appreciate any advise for getting this car on the road. My goal at this point is to get it driving before too many years pass so I would love to learn from experience and consider any suggestions to make this an easier path!

I know I have tacked a major project here. I am decently comfortable with my hands and I have my wife's inlaws next door (he has been rebuilding cars longer than I have been alive and he as a lift...which is nice) so I am cautiously optimistic. Even if this turns into a nightmare I will see it though.

This is my dream car.

Thank you for your time

Last edited by Brian Mathews; 05-12-2016 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Clarification on what parts I have
Old 05-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: C4 brakes and suspension will not swap to a 68 without spending more money than you want to. Seats might swap if you have a set of 68 seat tracks.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:42 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

sell the C4 and get the correct parts
Old 05-12-2016, 05:00 PM
Rodney Slavin
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You should always start a post like this with pictures.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:55 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

zero rust....oh...you restored them....

yeah, the c4 stuff track down "hammerhead" vette he was on here he has a c4 rear suspension under his early c3, made the rear wheel track wider....The 383 will bolt in....
Old 05-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Brian Mathews
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
FWIW: C4 brakes and suspension will not swap to a 68 without spending more money than you want to. Seats might swap if you have a set of 68 seat tracks.
Thanks for the reply. I see I left out some important information in the main post. I do have the complete C3 suspension, differential, and drive shaft, so no plans to swap in the C4 components

Was only thinking about the calipers and rotors as I was going to go with 16 or 17 inch wheels anyway.

Will try to edit the original post.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:09 AM
Brian Mathews
Heel & Toe

Pics as requested:

Old 05-14-2016, 07:37 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,295 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

What state are you in?

Do you have the door handles and chrome bumpers. The door opening mechanism is unque to 68s and some parts are hard to come by. Do you have the convertible framework? Any interior? You might want to find a rotten 68 or 69 and strip it for the interior, wiper door assembly, etc...... make a list of everything thats missing and start a price list. A donor care might be cheaper. $2000-$3000 for a donor. Minimum of that for the interior alone if you try to find newer parts or original 68

Theres some used parts venders here that can help with the missing parts and trim as well. I would start with them.

Contact George
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...un-merged.html

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 05-14-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:57 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Mathews
Pics as requested:

Welcome......and thanks for being willing to save a '68 from the parts bin!

Edit: Advice? Rebuild ONE area at a time so you don't get overwhelmed!

Last edited by doorgunner; 05-15-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Brian Mathews
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
What state are you in?

Do you have the door handles and chrome bumpers. The door opening mechanism is unque to 68s and some parts are hard to come by. Do you have the convertible framework? Any interior? You might want to find a rotten 68 or 69 and strip it for the interior, wiper door assembly, etc...... make a list of everything thats missing and start a price list. A donor care might be cheaper. $2000-$3000 for a donor. Minimum of that for the interior alone if you try to find newer parts or original 68

Theres some used parts venders here that can help with the missing parts and trim as well. I would start with them.

Contact George
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...un-merged.html
Sorry for the delay in answering as I was out of town all weekend. I am location in Georiga. I do have the outer door push button with key , and the door grab, but I missing all the door interior trim pieces including door opener.

Here is a list of the main parts I DO have outside of the rolling chassis:
Convertible frame
Lower left and right dash
Speedo and center gauge clusters with all gauges
Radiator and shroud
Headlight assemblies
Front and Rear chrome
Wiring harness
A pair of rotten seat frames
heater controls and trim
Door panels (no trim)
Windshield trim (outer and inner)

Everything else is miscellaneous pieces and lots of small parts I haven't identified yet!
Old 05-16-2016, 01:51 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,295 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Thats good. Atleast you have a majority of the big expensive stuff. Call george, he probably has the door panels and inner handles. The inside mechanism can be bought new. I had to as mine was broken. Regular.parts vendor and it works fine. I took apart my door lock assemblies and had them rekeyed to match my ignition. That made me happy
Old 05-17-2016, 12:16 AM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Hey Brian! Glad to have you along as part of the Forum! Good looking project! Lots to read on the forum here and lots of great information and help. Keep tabs on the parts for sale too. Settle in to plan of attack on your car and go at it little by little. One of the members told me building a Vette is like eating an elephant - you can do it but only one bite at a time. So pick a place to start and go from there. It can be a long term project, so try to something on it or for it every day. It may just be researching how you want to do something, but do something every day or try to. Post your pics regularly and in great quantities to keep us photo sharks happy and folks will help keep you going the right way. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Get notified of new replies

To Introduction and a request for advice

Quick Reply: Introduction and a request for advice