C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove this paint? Downspout Tail Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 05:41 PM
cdavis03
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default How do I remove this paint? Downspout Tail Pipes?

Hey guys once again I have a few questions haha, so my car cane with the black paint on the chrome panel under the doors and the frame around the windshield are painted black and i'm wondering whats the best way to get this paint off? Also does anyone know where I can get some downspout tail pipes that fit/look like stock? I don't care if they're chrome/stainless steel but even Ecklers doesn't have what i'm looking for I think. Thanks! (Theres old pictures of the tailpipes and the thing under the doors and stuff)Name:  photo650.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  1.15 MBName:  photo35.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  1.09 MB
Old 07-11-2016, 05:56 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by cdavis03
Hey guys once again I have a few questions haha, so my car cane with the black paint on the chrome panel under the doors and the frame around the windshield are painted black and i'm wondering whats the best way to get this paint off? Also does anyone know where I can get some downspout tail pipes that fit/look like stock? I don't care if they're chrome/stainless steel but even Ecklers doesn't have what i'm looking for I think. Thanks! (Theres old pictures of the tailpipes and the thing under the doors and stuff)Attachment 47999544Attachment 47999543
HMM..The windshield trim surround on my '78 was originally black but battered up from the years..I took my time and carefully with 0000 steel wool rags and acetone stripped it down to the bare STAINLESS STEEL..including the cross trim above the windshield..
NOT pure stock but the stainless cleaned and polished up nicely and I like the appearance better..,Did the same for the rear window trim surround..which is aluminum..
THE rocker panels I cleaned up and repainted myself tho I removed tha black paint down thru the channel inlet and used oval head 10/24 stainless screws to reattach it after paint was complete..For a SILVER ANNIVERSARY VETTE, the car never had much chrome to begin with..What I did to mine is my own preference and while not original in the strict sense for the judging bolt counters..PLEASES US..which is what truly matters..Jim
Attached Images   
Old 07-11-2016, 06:00 PM
cdavis03
Racer

Originally Posted by jim in oregon
HMM..The windshield trim surround on my '78 was originally black but battered up from the years..I took my time and carefully with 0000 steel wool rags and acetone stripped it down to the bare STAINLESS STEEL..including the cross trim above the windshield..
NOT pure stock but the stainless cleaned and polished up nicely and I like the appearance better..,Did the same for the rear window trim surround..which is aluminum..
THE rocker panels I cleaned up and repainted myself tho I removed tha black paint down thru the channel inlet and used oval head 10/24 stainless screws to reattach it after paint was complete..For a SILVER ANNIVERSARY VETTE, the car never had much chrome to begin with..What I did to mine is my own preference and while not original in the strict sense for the judging bolt counters..PLEASES US..which is what truly matters..Jim
How did you get the paint off the rocker panels? Since I am not painting the car the original Silver Anniversary Edition paint I would like to have them chrome, would look better with Targa Blue in my opinion haha.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:02 PM
cdavis03
Racer

By the way beautiful car! Would have loved to keep mine original but $400+ for the pinstripes is just too much in my opinion haha, didn't know you had a SAE too!
Old 07-11-2016, 06:07 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

how did you get the paint off the rocker panels? Since i am not painting the car the original silver anniversary edition paint i would like to have them chrome, would look better with targa blue in my opinion haha.
acetone and rags and 0000 steel wool..There's decent aluminum under the black paint and dirt..Take your time..IF the original rockers aren't torn up or dinged they should look great all chromed( buffed aluminum..Don't neglect the 10/32 oval head and use stainless steel..not the original black ones.six each side as I recall..
Some screw into the body, several have little back fastners to cinch them up..Jim

Last edited by jim in oregon; 07-11-2016 at 06:11 PM. Reason: screwsa
Old 07-11-2016, 06:08 PM
cdavis03
Racer

acetone and rags and 0000 steel wool..
Ok thanks!
Old 07-11-2016, 07:19 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Ok thanks!
AS far as the tail pipe chromies..I removed the cat converter and stock mufflers and cross pipe and now run straight SS dual exhausts with mufflers and chrome down tailpipes. All attached to great performance headers.and uptuned rebuilt,Rochester quadrajet..

My car doesn't need to pass emissions..and removing the stock stuff Did improve performance quite a bit..Even on my original stock 350 L48 small block..with thm350 auto trans..We like the way it runs, sounds, looks..and BTW I completely removed the spare tire carrier and tire including hdw..I never will change a tire on the roadside in this car..AAA..Jim
Attached Images  

Last edited by jim in oregon; 07-11-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:24 PM
cdavis03
Racer

AS far as the tail pipe chromies..I removed the cat converter and stock mufflers and cross pipe and now run straight SS dual exhausts with mufflers and chrome down tailpipes. All attached to great performance headers.and uptuned rebuilt,Rochester quadrajet..

My car doesn't need to pass emissions..and removing the stock stuff Did improve performance quite a bit..Even on my original stock 350 L48 small block..with thm350 auto trans..Jim
Wow wish I could hear it, but I don't have the money to do all that right now so i'm just gonna try and get the pipe and replace the old rusty one haha
Old 07-11-2016, 07:54 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Wow wish I could hear it, but I don't have the money to do all that right now so i'm just gonna try and get the pipe and replace the old rusty one haha
Well..as far as the original tail pipe stuff..a bit of elbow grease and some 0000 steel wool..OR even a more aggressive attack with 3m WET OR DRY auto paper in 120 grit or finer wetted with water may help in the interim..
Old 07-12-2016, 08:47 AM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Hey guys once again I have a few questions haha, so my car cane with the black paint on the chrome panel under the doors and the frame around the windshield are painted black and i'm wondering whats the best way to get this paint off? Also does anyone know where I can get some downspout tail pipes that fit/look like stock? I don't care if they're chrome/stainless steel but even Ecklers doesn't have what i'm looking for I think. Thanks! (Theres old pictures of the tailpipes and the thing under the doors and stuff)Attachment 47999544Attachment 47999543
This baking soda blaster works great for this won't hurt glass or chrome
Wes

Got mine at Tractor Supply

Get notified of new replies

To How do I remove this paint? Downspout Tail Pipes?

Quick Reply: How do I remove this paint? Downspout Tail Pipes?