C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does California require to register a 1972?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:58 AM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Default What does California require to register a 1972?

Thinking about moving in the next year or so. I am restoring a 1972. What will the state require to be legal? I see they do not TEST emissions in anything older than 1975....but what is needed for visual inspection? Does that mean I have to have a air pump with a belt on it and all its plumbing? My car did not come with a catalectic convertor so I assume that is not required...but do they know that?

Thanks, Dean
Old 08-18-2016, 10:36 AM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean_Fuller
Thinking about moving in the next year or so. I am restoring a 1972. What will the state require to be legal? I see they do not TEST emissions in anything older than 1975....but what is needed for visual inspection? Does that mean I have to have a air pump with a belt on it and all its plumbing? My car did not come with a catalectic convertor so I assume that is not required...but do they know that?

Thanks, Dean
Dean
When I left a little over a year ago only thing you will need is vin verification and money no other inspections
Wes
Old 08-18-2016, 10:40 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

I think Wes is right. If you have the car currently registered, just take tha registration, ownership and you checkbook to the DMV. If everything is in order, they might not even ask to see the car.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:57 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

You will need to do VIN check. That's mandatory.

Instead of taking my car to the DMV to wait in line I used a Mobile service that came to the house. Yes you pay for it but less waiting around at the DMV.
http://www.asapvehicleverifiers.com/

They don't check SMOG stuff at all so no worries and as exempt you won't have to see a SMOG tech either.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:36 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Even better if you belong to the Auto Club. They'll do everything for you, including VIN verification.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:21 AM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

When I bought my car in San Diego with Texas plates ( the po had not registered it in CA.) I had to show them the car to ensure that I wasn't bringing a stolen car into Ca. Not much to it really, just make an appointment.
You are completely exempt from smog check , no smog belts or pumps need to be on the car.
From one Southern boy (Ga.) to another . Are you sure you want to move here? You might think you have moved to Mars.

Last edited by tpfarm; 08-19-2016 at 12:28 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-19-2016, 12:23 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

I found that CSAA would not. They told me now out of state registrations.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:14 AM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks guys for all the help.

I originally moved back to Mississippi to help my sick parents. Since my move a few years ago my father passed away in June and my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She is WAY too much for just me to handle so my younger brother who lives in California says he will help but that we would have to move there. Not sure what else to do. He lives in the high desert east of LA. I suppose I will move and then see what happens. Any talk of moving here to a home is met with a high level of resistance.

Working on my cars and bikes are what keeps me sane. It is true therapy for me.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:31 AM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ddawson
You will need to do VIN check. That's mandatory.

Instead of taking my car to the DMV to wait in line I used a Mobile service that came to the house. Yes you pay for it but less waiting around at the DMV.
http://www.asapvehicleverifiers.com/

They don't check SMOG stuff at all so no worries and as exempt you won't have to see a SMOG tech either.
I registered my C3 in CA last February using AAA. They required a VIN check and they needed to see the VIN in two locations. The second VIN number is on the frame but impossible to see during a parking lot inspection. The inspector suggested I take the car to the DMV, but fortunately she was patient with me and allowed me to call my mechanic. After some research, if you have the original engine installed, the last 4 or 6 digits (I forgot which) numbers stamped on front of the engine (adjacent to the water pump) is part of the VIN number. The AAA inspector accepted that and issued the registration.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:50 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Yea my inspector asked for the same thing. No door sticker.

I said you can check the frame and he said no thanks and passed it anyway. Apparently they WANT to see two VIN's but!!

Maybe he marked yes on the paper work. He understood these are old cars and doesn't always conform to what CA wants.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:47 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,936 Posts

I bought my '73 about four months ago. It's a CA car and the owner had the Pink Slip. I walked into DMV with an appointment and was out within ten minutes. I handed them the pink slip and that's all they asked for. No inspection, no VIN verification. CA DMV has a great website you can visit with all the instructions you will need to get your vehicle transferred. I believe you only have ten days to do the transfer from the date you "enter the state" or you "WILL" pay fines for late transfer. And that is expensive.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:40 PM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I bought my '73 about four months ago. It's a CA car and the owner had the Pink Slip. I walked into DMV with an appointment and was out within ten minutes. I handed them the pink slip and that's all they asked for. No inspection, no VIN verification. CA DMV has a great website you can visit with all the instructions you will need to get your vehicle transferred. I believe you only have ten days to do the transfer from the date you "enter the state" or you "WILL" pay fines for late transfer. And that is expensive.
I think it was because it was already a CA car.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:47 PM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Brass Pass

He must have a real good reason for moving.
Spent a week on 30A last year (Seaside) loved it.

Get notified of new replies

To What does California require to register a 1972?

Quick Reply: What does California require to register a 1972?