Sponsored by:

Vintage Air Install Question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 04:39 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Vintage Air Install Question.

I did a self install on a 75 non air with Vintage air, no Freon charge yet.

When the switch for the blower motor was in the off position before the install (stock form) the fan would be on low speed, now it doesn't come on until the last two settings. In other words, on the far left and second setting there is no fan until the last two settings. It's now a two speed fan. Is this normal?

When I'm ready for the Freon charge, will any a/c place be good enough or should they be familiar with Vintage Air settings?
Old 09-06-2016, 04:51 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
I did a self install on a 75 non air with Vintage air, no Freon charge yet.

When the switch for the blower motor was in the off position before the install (stock form) the fan would be on low speed, now it doesn't come on until the last two settings. In other words, on the far left and second setting there is no fan until the last two settings. It's now a two speed fan. Is this normal?

When I'm ready for the Freon charge, will any a/c place be good enough or should they be familiar with Vintage Air settings?
I don't know about the fan, but VA tells you exactly how much freon to put in the system you're installing. Don't make the mistake some do by thinking 1.8 lbs is 1 lb 8 oz. 1.8 lbs is 1 lb 12.8 oz.
The following users liked this post:
Maymyvetteliveforevr (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 06:22 PM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 385 Posts

One of two things that I can think of, did you test the factory switch mine was just full of goo and such it came apart easy and cleaned up well, take pics when you pull it apart for reassembly.

Did you program the unit, it is a gen IV right? It may not have taken and may require a reprogram.

That's all I've got.

Dave
Old 09-06-2016, 06:31 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Mine does the same thing. I haven't really taken the time to look into it yet, so I'll just follow along in this thread.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
VA tells you exactly how much freon to put in the system you're installing. Don't make the mistake some do by thinking 1.8 lbs is 1 lb 8 oz. 1.8 lbs is 1 lb 12.8 oz.
Thanks for the reply and info.
Originally Posted by The Phantom
One of two things that I can think of, did you test the factory switch mine was just full of goo and such it came apart easy and cleaned up well, take pics when you pull it apart for reassembly.

Did you program the unit, it is a gen IV right? It may not have taken and may require a reprogram.

That's all I've got.

Dave
I purchased the 68-76 Corvette NON-Factory Air Gen IV Complete Air Conditioning Kit Vintage Air.

I didn't realize it had to be programed, I never came across that in the instructions. Can you add more info on this?

Before I take the switch apart, I just want to be sure how it's supposed to operate. When in the off position, I always heard the fan run before, is this still the case?

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 09-06-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:56 PM
seans85vette
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the reply and info.
I purchased the 68-76 Corvette NON-Factory Air Gen IV Complete Air Conditioning Kit Vintage Air.

I didn't realize it had to be programed, I never came across that in the instructions. Can you add more info on this?

Before I take the switch apart, I just want to be sure how it's supposed to operate. When in the off position, I always heard the fan run before, is this still the case?
I just did a VA swap last winter and literally just stumbled across the directions that I had kept "just in case"...only problem is that was two days ago and I tossed them.

However you could just reach out to VA and have them send or just walk you through it. The programming was really simple. Don't throw out any of your parts you will need one of the wires to program it.
Maymyvetteliveforevr (09-07-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Mike414
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seans85vette
I just did a VA swap last winter and literally just stumbled across the directions that I had kept "just in case"...only problem is that was two days ago and I tossed them.

However you could just reach out to VA and have them send or just walk you through it. The programming was really simple. Don't throw out any of your parts you will need one of the wires to program it.
The instructions are available for download on the VA site. The procedure calls for you to set the wheels and switches in max and min positions with a temporary wire attachment to the battery. It basically tells the controls where the limits of the temp, diverter and fan speeds are so the circuit board knows what you are asking it to do.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:14 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I had to program mine by grounding the gray wire and running through the procedures with the controls.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:43 PM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 385 Posts

Go online to the va site and you will find the instructions there, the grey wire is grounded during the process as the previous poster described, takes about five mins to do.

Dave
Old 09-07-2016, 06:37 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

I thanked everyone for your reply.

I just realized that the switch is part of the new control assembly therefore there should be no need to disassemble and clean the switch.

I still have the manual and will go through it to find the section on programing. As mentioned, I haven't charged up the system with Freon yet, therefore will that make a difference re programing or should I wait till it's been filled?
Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Vintage Air

I have self installed and self charged a couple of Vintage Air setups on 2 different 68's so happy to share what I found out.

1. Do good to read the whole instructions and a couple of times too. Call VA tech which is great too.

2. My fan switch worked in reverse, but I was ok since I still had an off, low and high anyway. Not sure what the problem was.

3. To charge and get the 28 or 29 oz of R134 in, you have to follow VA's instructions. Namely you have to set up fans ( I used 3) in front of the radiator / condenser to move air. Otherwise my experience is you will have a tough time getting the full charge in and therefore max cooling. Some a/c shops will not want to go to that trouble and so you get an undercharge. Consider charging yourself, you can buy a Harbor freight vac pump $100 and gauges $60 which is what I did.

4. Agree with above, the gray wire is used in the setup calibration and is in the instructions. VA instructions are online and you can download. I think you want to calibrate after you charge, but check the instructions.

Vintage Air works great and a great product for me.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 20mercury; 09-07-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Maymyvetteliveforevr (09-08-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 11:31 AM
D_Williams
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's a link to the instructions that include calibration (page 11-12)

http://www.vintageair.com/Instructions2013/903177.pdf

Maymyvetteliveforevr (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 06:43 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks for the replies,

I haven't had a chance to review the manual and thanks for the link D_Williams.

Three things I need to do.

1. Read manual (see link).
2. Repair fan switch, (doesn't work on low)
3. Charge system (Freon).

I also noticed yesterday that my compressor (passenger side mount) is set back approximately 1/2" from the pulley. Looks like I may have to modify with bushings.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:13 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Good point and same here.

Thanks for the replies,

I also noticed yesterday that my compressor (passenger side mount) is set back approximately 1/2" from the pulley. Looks like I may have to modify with bushings.
Good point and I had to play with mine too to get the belt to line up straight. The Sanden compressor from VA had 2 grooves. I used the outer groove and shimmed with the VA supplied bushings and washers to get it to line up. The last VA install was for a 454 NOM in my 68. I also ended up installing the OEM design/size crank and water pump pulleys for a 72 454 a/c setup. The 3 groove water pump OEM design pulley was expensive, dang!
Maymyvetteliveforevr (09-09-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 05:20 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Thanks for the replies,

Sounds like you are making progress on that car of yours Frank
Maymyvetteliveforevr (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 06:41 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks everyone for your replies.

20mercury
I also used the outer grove on the pulley and based on my calculations I'm inset by 1/2" which isn't enough to have the pulley fly off as I don't push the car to it's limits much.

VETFEVER
It's all the little things that need to be taken care of. I had to go back and redo several things as I have the time now.

Brass Pass
Thanks for taking the time to post all the photos. Shimming out the water pump pulley will throw everything else out so I'll stick with just the a/c compressor. The ones supplied by V/A will have to be modified to make it work.

I'll try to address some of my issues this weekend.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 09-09-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:30 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Brass Pass

Thanks for the detailed write up, I installed mine last year and can't really remember which one it came with. Looks like you did an amazing modification to the stock set up.

I do remember that it was very tight, but I was in a hurry at the time as I needed to meet a deadline and everything went so fast. This year I'm trying to tie up some loose ends but it looks as though all wont get done this year.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:10 PM
shaark92
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 73 Posts

Installing VA in my 71 w fact air.

Im having the reverse fan switch operation problem too. Good calibration for the air direction ... and have all 3 speeds plus off. Just the OEM switch seems to be backward.

Ive heard of the early 70s trucks with this issue .... consi@Willcox Corvette for a new fan switch.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:11 PM
shaark92
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 73 Posts

PROGRAMMING

Missed it on the calibrate instructions

the mode, temp AND fan switch must be calibrated.

Works fine now.

Mercy.

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air Install Question.

Quick Reply: Vintage Air Install Question.