Sponsored by:

Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:45 PM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tail lights

I have a 1978 Pace Car. I would like to replace the rear inner tail light back up lenses with two outer tail light lenses to match the present outer tail light lenses on the car, giving me four tail lights. How difficult is this to do? I realize I will have to replace the light bulbs with 1157's and change the bulb sockets out. Is it then just a matter of splicing in the three wires to the three wires going to the outer tail lights? I'm not an electrical engineer so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:31 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by golfboy
...I realize I will have to replace the light bulbs with 1157's and change the bulb sockets out. Is it then just a matter of splicing in the three wires to the three wires going to the outer tail lights?...
Pretty much. The bubble tail light conversion kits do the same thing. My advice would be not to cut your existing back up light pig tails. Tape them to the existing harness out of the way. This gives you the option of returning to stock in the future.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 10-07-2016 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
golfboy (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 02:43 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Received 604 Likes on 295 Posts

I had to cut a bigger hole in the fiberglass tail light reinforcement so the back of the lenses could go through it, then I spliced in the new sockets and zip tied the reverse lights to something so they didn't hang down.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:31 PM
golfboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by rgwoehr
I had to cut a bigger hole in the fiberglass tail light reinforcement so the back of the lenses could go through it, then I spliced in the new sockets and zip tied the reverse lights to something so they didn't hang down.
Do both right tail light lenses now flash when the right turn signal is activated and same for the left?
Old 10-07-2016, 04:11 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Received 604 Likes on 295 Posts

Do both right tail light lenses now flash when the right turn signal is activated and same for the left?
Yeah they do
The following users liked this post:
golfboy (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 09:40 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by rgwoehr
That's exactly how we did it before.. we taped the old b/u lamp connectors to the loom, then jumper spliced from the right lamp to the new lamp and then the left lamp to the new left lamp.. Both will flash and show stop when completed.. It's pretty easy to do as long as you get the correct tail lamp connectors. If you don't have them, I probably have some good used ones in the shop and if I don't I'm sure I can get you new.

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 10-07-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:54 AM
Red1990VT
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a 1978 Pace Car. I would like to replace the rear inner tail light back up lenses with two outer tail light lenses to match the present outer tail light lenses on the car, giving me four tail lights. How difficult is this to do? I realize I will have to replace the light bulbs with 1157's and change the bulb sockets out. Is it then just a matter of splicing in the three wires to the three wires going to the outer tail lights? I'm not an electrical engineer so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
No offense, but you have a Pace Car and you want to make changes to the exterior look of it? And start cutting wiring on it? No worries about reducing the value and originality of such a unique and special Corvette?
Old 10-08-2016, 10:48 AM
golfboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
That's exactly how we did it before.. we taped the old b/u lamp connectors to the loom, then jumper spliced from the right lamp to the new lamp and then the left lamp to the new left lamp.. Both will flash and show stop when completed.. It's pretty easy to do as long as you get the correct tail lamp connectors. If you don't have them, I probably have some good used ones in the shop and if I don't I'm sure I can get you new.

Willcox
Thanks for the offer, Willcox but I have new pig tails ordered and on the way already.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:57 AM
golfboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Red1990VT
No offense, but you have a Pace Car and you want to make changes to the exterior look of it? And start cutting wiring on it? No worries about reducing the value and originality of such a unique and special Corvette?
No offense taken, but I would rather have four tail and brake lights for safety reasons instead of back up lights. I am keeping the removed lenses in case I want to go back to the stock look. BTW, my stock L48 engine has been rebuilt and modified with a cam, heads, intake manifold with matching 750 carb and a true dual exhaust system with no catalytic converter. It now puts out 350 horsepower instead of the 185 from the factory when new. So much for originality.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:44 PM
GTIGLI
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dig it! The lights on our Featherlite trailer are higher tech and more aesthetically pleasing than the stock lights on my car.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:06 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

and you can get a license plate frame with reverse lights in it.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:59 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Originally Posted by GTIGLI
I dig it! The lights on our Featherlite trailer are higher tech and more aesthetically pleasing than the stock lights on my car.
You are responding to a post from 5 years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Tail lights

Quick Reply: Tail lights