Sponsored by:

front bumper cover ID?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 09:34 AM
Lyndwood
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts
Default front bumper cover ID?

I want to start planning my winter projects on my '74 and one thing i want to do is get the front bumper cover lined up ,sanded and primed for paint etc.
the previous owner of my car put a new cover on and it fits tight to the body and is flush on the sides but it sits up on the top edge above the body a good 1/16th" (enough to stop your finger if you were to drag it across it). i dont know what make cover it is as I didn't put it on do i was wondering if there is a way to tell (true flex or urethane etc).

I want to know if I should just sand down the top of the cover to blend it into the body or remove the whole thing and work it down by loosening mounting nuts and pushing it down? since I dont know the material I dont know it's limits or if I can even sand it down.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2016, 10:44 AM
Lyndwood
Pro

ok got some better info & pictures to show the lip or edge I am speaking of on the bumper cover. it almost looks like it's either an edge for the fiberglass body to sit on top of (bumper cover under the body edge) or its casting flash from the mold process. you can see in the pictures how there is a molded flat or indent on the cover where it is up against the body now at the seam, is that just a molding indent or is is supposed to go under the body fiberglass?
Attached Images   
Old 10-23-2016, 12:40 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Here's a bump to the top for you, I have a 77 which has the same issue, same story, cover replaced by p/o only mine is already painted so I am very interested in the suggestions. Hopefully Dub or others see this and offer insight.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:39 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

no body men or fiberglass Guru's on the forum this weekend?????
Old 10-23-2016, 07:25 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

well I pulled both my front and back covers off my 77 and replaced them but I'm sure that doesn't make me a body man .

BUT ,both ends of the car has just a flat face with a 90ish degree turn to the top (painted surface) there is no tuck under or anything other than a flat to flat face fit .

I hope that makes sense .

Last edited by bazza77; 10-23-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:05 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I just installed a flex fit cover on the rear of my 1980 today. On the top of the car the cover actually set to low compared to the body. Had somebody standing over and looking at the car while I pushed up from underneath and tightened the bolts. You may need to loosen them somebody push down on the cover and tighten them one at a time. This is how mine turned out.

I would like to see more pictures of your car. Love the color.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:09 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

the color is a 91 vette color, it looks great in pictures but it's spider webbed with cracks so it'll be re-painted someday. these pictures are from just after I dropped it off the jacks after being up for 3 months so the rear is not settled down and still sitting high.
Attached Images     
Old 10-23-2016, 09:53 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I hope you paint it the same color because that really looks nice.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

I was going to change the color but everyone that see's it says to keep it this color and it's beginning to grow on me as well.
I found a web page about mounting a F/G bumper cover on a 74 and although it doesn't say anything about the noted step or casting edge I am inquiring about in my post , it does look like the owner/installer in the pictures, sanded that same area down?

http://corvettec3.ca/tips.htm

Get notified of new replies

To front bumper cover ID?

Quick Reply: front bumper cover ID?