Lights Warning Buzzer on '81

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 12:27 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Default Lights Warning Buzzer on '81

The audible noise for my headlights no longer works. When I turned the car off and the lights were on it would emit a sound. Not anymore. What do I need to replace and where is it?
Old 11-01-2016, 05:21 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

The warning buzzer is a black box attached to the right side of the fuse box below the steering wheel.

There is only one buzzer. Are ALL of the warnings out? Key-in with door open? Fasten seatbelt reminder? If not verify that all of the connections to the buzzer module are secure and clean.

Replacement buzzers do not appear to be available.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Yep no sounds at all. I will check the connections next time I have the seat out. Not too much room down there for this big boy.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:52 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat
Not too much room down there for this big boy.
At 6'3", 250# I feel for ya. There's not much room down there for any but little people though

The module gets its power to buzz from the STOP/HAZARD fuse so do be certain you have brake and hazard lights.

The module plugs plugs into and locks into a connector at the rear. There's also another connector at the side plus another wire or two that plug into the front of the fuse box.

The orange wire in the side connector should have constant +12V from the STOP/HAZ fuse

The light green wire in the side connector is grounded with BOTH the driver door open AND key in the ignition switch. Otherwise it is open.

The yellow wire in the rear connector is the power feed to the seatbelt warning light.

The pink wire in the rear connector leads to the GAUGES fuse and should only have power with the ignition switch at "RUN"

One of the black wires in the rear connector should always show continuity to ground.

The other black wire in the rear connector should will be grounded with the driver seat belt fastened and open with it unfastened.

The odd wire coming out of the module that plugs into the fuse box (at least it's like that in my '79) goes hot with the headlight switch on.

Last edited by SwampeastMike; 11-01-2016 at 05:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Street Rat (11-02-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Lights Warning Buzzer on '81

Quick Reply: Lights Warning Buzzer on '81