Sponsored by:

Disappointed and need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 09:03 PM
nohurry
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disappointed and need advice!

Hello everyone, I just joined here, though I've been reading many of your posts for the last year and a half! I joined because, even though I feel embarrassed and not sure I should reveal this much, I really need your advice........EITHER GOOD OR BAD....PLEASE!

Let me start with me....I'm 60, make just a little over minimum wage, and really have no real savings to speak of. I'm single and survive on my own. My only real interest anymore are cars!
I own a '76 C3. It was originally dark green with a saddle interior. It is only an L-48, 350, 4-spd, telescoping steering wheel, A/C, etc. As far as non-chrome bumper Vettes go, it's a fairly rare car....but we all know that means nothing for those cars, and I've since found out it's not the original engine anyway.
I purchased the car back in Sept. '15. I was told that it had a 383 Stroker with less than 5k on the engine, and it put out around 500hp! It has chrome headers coming out to flat black side-pipes. It looks and sounds great!
BUT.....
even though I thought I had read and prepared for the purchase of a Corvette, I was obviously taken in by someone who told me that the engine and exhaust was 13k all by itself, and that I couldn't go wrong! The car sounded great and drove well, (except for some wobble in the steering which he told me about), and he said he had all the paperwork to back up his claims. So, I went ahead and paid 10k for the car! Of course, over 1.5 yrs later, and I still haven't seen any paperwork!
I took the car to my mechanic, whom I trust very well, and he fixed the steering, telling me it could be done for around 1200. He apparently found numerous other things under there needing repair, so he fixed them, (without telling me!), and I was confronted by a $4500 bill! I wasn't prepared for that, especially since I took out a partial loan to get the car in the first place!
About 9 months later, I found a shop that are supposed to be experts on C2 & C3 Vettes, so I took it to them to have the carburetor changed from the Holley Street Avenger 770 down to a lower 650cfm range since I'm not as interested in speed/racing as I am in cruising! I was told it would probably be around $600-&$800 to put on the new carb and tune and set up the engine. They told me the engine is out of another Vette, a '78, and it's a 350, though probably NOT a 383! But they were very positive in the fact that it was running very strong and had great compression on all cylinders.
But they also installed new rocker panel moldings, and did some other things, and when I got the bill, it wasn't $800.....it was $1800!! Then on top of that.....I was told that all the wiring in the car is shot and needs to be replaced! I was suspicious of the rear wiring harness since my lights are all messed up and do weird things when I'm driving. They told me I shouldn't even drive it because of the possibility of catching fire!
And lastly.....I live in a nice mobile home park with a large covered car-port, but I don't own a garage! I thought I'd get access to one to work on the car myself, but that has since fallen through, and Im not sure I can do the work in a car-port, especially since I have an HOA that would probably go ballistic if I do that anyway!
So, as dumb as this question will sound to 99.9% of you, I'm sure, should I keep this and continue to work on it, or sell it for what I can and probably lose around 10k by the time I'm done! I know I sound crazy, but I have really wanted one of these cars for years, and now it's hard to let it go, but I also feel I'm doing the car more damage than good, and think maybe I should take the loss and see if I can't find someone who'd be able to do something with it.
For those of you that took the time to read my rantings, thank you very much and I appreciate anything you have to say!
Old 02-07-2017, 02:17 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Can you take some pics of the car and of the trouble spots (wiring areas ?) and post them up here ? trouble with the rear harness COULD BE just a bad grounding to the frame ,you may not need to replace any of the harness but without seeing it ..its impossible for us to say. Good pics would involve ,preferably getting it on a hoist or getting down on the ground and under to see what it looks like .

It certainly sounds like people have lined up to get at your wallet.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:26 AM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Hi nohurry, I can understand your frustration. For Alot of us owning one of these cars is a lifelong dream. It's unfortunate that you have run into some unscrupulous mechanics. They see the vette and automatically assume that you have money falling out of your #$%&. All I can say is karma is real, and they will be paid a visit. There are some great members on this site who are always willing to help with expert knowledge. That being said these cars can be expensive to repair and maintain. The car you are describing, sounds like you already have a good start. I say keep it. Wiring can be a pain, but nothing that can't be accomplished with some effort and advice. Even under a carport.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:03 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

You have a car that you are upside down on..unfortunate, but a fact.
Without having the money, space, tools, or ability, and the simple fact of how old it is, and what it is, will continue to drain your wallet.
Can you really afford that?
Are you prepared to take a major loss?
Join a local car club (Corvette ideally), become friends with the members, and hopefully, one of them does have the space/knowledge/tools for the two of you to work on the car.
Buy an inexpensive driver, work on the Vette when time and money allows.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:52 AM
NMT1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tokim
You have a car that you are upside down on..unfortunate, but a fact.
Without having the money, space, tools, or ability, and the simple fact of how old it is, and what it is, will continue to drain your wallet.
Can you really afford that?
Are you prepared to take a major loss?
Join a local car club (Corvette ideally), become friends with the members, and hopefully, one of them does have the space/knowledge/tools for the two of you to work on the car.
Buy an inexpensive driver, work on the Vette when time and money allows.
I agree. Joining a local car club is an excellent idea !!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2017, 07:01 AM
ENCSDOUG
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

As others has stated, I would keep it. You have the car that you've always wanted. These cars takes time to get it where you want it. Write up a list for yourself and start chipping away on the issues that will make it road worthy. There is a lot of experience on this forum who can help you through the problems you are having. A corvette club in your area is a great idea because they share the same values that you have owning a vette. Good Luck with your project.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:25 AM
lakerider57
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCSDOUG
... let me start with me....I'm 60, make just a little over minimum wage, and really have no real savings to speak of.
Sell the car and get what you can and start saving for the years ahead, you are 60 years old. Go to car shows and enjoy the vettes there. The vette will take a lot of money that you don't have to give it.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:23 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

you mechanic should have no idea on your engine displacement. a 383 is a stroked 350, so unless he tore the engine down to measure the stroke, he does not know what he is talking about.

since you have already put lots into the car, you should should be close to done.. so why sell it.. only if there is some major glitch in the car.. rusted frame/birdcage? the time to sell is when a major repair is needed that will make you greatly upside down on the car.. but you have already done that.

also, this is a good description of an owner paying someone else major bucks to maintain a classic car. As I always say.. I am just a old mechanic and not a paid professional, but I can crawl under and around any 40 year old car and I will find thousands of $$$ of repairs that most are not absolutely required.

enjoy the car, and quit allowing your mechanic to take advantage of you.

don't worry about your wiring, that is what fuses are for. you are not going to get a fire unless major bypassing of the fuse block has been done down by your left foot.

also.. here's your best advice.. start socking 10% of every dollar you make into a IRA. Find a way to make it happen.

good luck.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:50 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by lakerider57
...Sell the car...
I agree. If you cannot do a large part of the work yourself, the car will nickel and dime you to death and you're likely to stay disappointed.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:12 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

First kudos for your honesty. Secondly, I am in your age group and I know your pain. Considering your income as you stated, I think it might be wise to give up on this one, as much as it will hurt. Not to state the obvious, but adding debt at our age is not a good idea. My car is in really nice condition, yet it still requires a expenditures to maintain it and mine is not a daily driver. When it gets to the point that I need to borry money to maintain my 45 year old car, I will give it up. I think you should seriously consider doing the same. I know that is not what you want to hear, but you probably already knew this in your heart.

Last edited by crawfish333; 02-07-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:31 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

WOW! Being taken to the cleaners since you bought the car seems to be the worst part. ....You could survive if not for Crooks!
Taking a possible $10,000 loss when selling the car does not sound like a good idea, either. Why not keep it/pay off the loans/learn how to make the final repairs yourself. If a Vette is the only things that makes your day consider your options carefully.

Keep or sell? 6 of one.......1/2 dozen of the other.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:41 AM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

After reading all the responses to your questions, I agree to all of them, as they all have pro's and con's. However, I have to agree whole-heartedly with Tokim, Join a car club, preferably a Corvette club where you will meet plenty of friendly faces. Do this first before making a final decision. Good luck and keep asking questions here.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by joewill

since you have already put lots into the car, you should should be close to done.. so why sell it.. only if there is some major glitch in the car.. rusted frame/birdcage? the time to sell is when a major repair is needed that will make you greatly upside down on the car.. but you have already done that.
That's what I'm thinking as well, you've probably pretty much got the car all fixed up and there's not a lot of money left to go into it, if you sell it someone else gets the benefit of all you've put into it for a fraction of what you've paid.

Having said that you need to look at how much you owe on the car, what the payments are and look at your finances and see if you have the funds to make those payments and get by. If the loan payments are going to be a big strain for you maybe you need to sell the car anyway. If you think you can handle the loan payments until its paid off I think if it was me I'd keep the car as if you sell it for a big loss you won't likely have a chance to have another Corvette again.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:06 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

more food for thought.. every corvette only car show I go to have 95% c5-c6-c7.. maybe 3 c4's maybe 2 C3's, maybe one c2...
most corvette car clubs are in that ratio.. most members won't know how to work on a c3.

your best advice is in this forum.

i join the 'all classic' car clubs that are just full of 50s, 60s and 70s cars..
these guys I can relate to.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:18 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

It's been years since I took a car to a mechanic for anything that wasn't under warranty so I have a questions about estimates/quotes.....Is it not standard practice to get a quote on the repairs needed and if there are any other issues should the mechanic not be required to call and OK them before fixing and then just adding them to the bill....? I mean on estimate of $1200 I could understand maybe a bill of $1300 but $4500....? That to me is robbery unless the owner left instructions of...."Just fix anything that you find wrong..."

Brian
Old 02-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

Hopefully, you can find a way to hold on to this car, and make it work financially.
Don't, however, let the unknown work ahead intimidate you into giving up.
As others have offered, find some friendly experts in your area that can get you more comfortable tackling the "shade tree" repairs, so you're not paying some grease monkey premium $$$ to replace Rocker Moldings.
I didn't read that this was your daily driver car. If so, you can pace your repairs to fit your budget.
Many of the "necessary" repairs that a mechanic might gouge you for, may be "important", but may not be "urgent". Meaning that you could still enjoy cruising without immediately fixing the numerous buggy systems that these C3s are known for (such as vacuum wiper and head light doors, etc.).
Create a list of repairs, prioritize the list - with Safety items being on top - and then attack the list methodically, as your time and finances allow.
Also keeping in mind that, for many of us, the act of actually tackling the list, is as much a part of the hobby enjoyment as is driving the car (well, almost!).
Keep your spirits up - you can't undo the result of unscrupulous characters you've suffered with up to now. As others have said, they'll get their reward in the end!
Old 02-07-2017, 07:10 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,116 Likes on 726 Posts

I'm going to add my vote that you sell this car. As I got older it became more and more important that I could comfortably put it up on a lift and spend lots of time in a warm garage with a copious supply of tools and equipment. As I read your situation, sitting out in a carport is a bad place to work on a car. You'll now and then have to leave it up on blocks while you go get some component repaired. Your neighbors will hate that. You'll need tools you don't have, adding to the cost as you go. And your mechanics seem determined to screw you over especially as you probably were not experienced enough with this particular car to direct them to what only needs to be done. Just a guess not meaning to be derogatory.

I see plenty of newer C5's evaluated on price in Corvette Magazine and, while it may not be as dreamy as the C3 it will be more repairable and just by virtue of being newer, it will need less repairs. The prices aren't bad. I've got a C6 and I just start it and run off to do whatever, whenever. The C3, if I make a run I always make sure I've got extensive kit with me to make repairs or call for help, despite the fact or maybe because of the fact that I've wrenched pretty much every nut and bolt on the car. Funny thing that, it makes me more skittish because I know everything there is to break on the car. And just that experience base was a long time and kind of expensive in coming. There's a lot of good advice here on the forum, to be sure, but without being on the spot and having some skin in the game, you may be chasing the wrong problem just the same as you'll get lots of hypotheses and will need to pick out the gems. I do notice on the forum that a lot of folks are willing to stick with you as each and every possibility gets examined so kudos to them if you get that lucky.. Go hang out on the newer forums and see what's bothering those folks and get a feel. I agree with joewill on the benefits of a car club, they are out for fun and fellowship, not so much getting greasy on your old car.

There, that's what I would do in your shoes. Sorry you are upside down on this!

Last edited by ignatz; 02-07-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Disappointed and need advice!

Old 02-07-2017, 08:38 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Where are you located at? Some forum members might be able to help you out. If you have a mechanic that quotes you $800 to swap a carb, you need to run, that is a two hour job at the longest!!
Old 02-07-2017, 08:58 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

next time you take the car in for repairs, get a written cost before handing the keys over to them, and anything extra has to approved by you with another written cost, they took you every time on what they charged you, doing repairs that you did not authorize, costs going over 200% of what you were quoted. These cars do cost a lot when you can not do the repais yourself. IMO
Old 02-07-2017, 09:17 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Post up your location, there may be someone from here, that lives near you that could give you a hand. There are quite a few here that have their cars done, but still enjoy tinkering with them.

Quick Reply: Disappointed and need advice!