Sponsored by:

Borgeson streering shaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 08:43 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Borgeson streering shaft

When installing the borgeson steering kit how many inches do you collapse the steering shaft? I read that if you go to far its hard to go back.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:50 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Approximately 2". All are different and yes do not push in to far. I put the new gear in, held the rag joint about where it belonged to get an idea of how much the shaft needed to be shortened, the put some tape on shaft. Removed the gear for access then pounded the shaft in up to the tape line. I used the old rag joint to pound on. T
The following users liked this post:
mpro71vette (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 12:27 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
Approximately 2". All are different and yes do not push in to far. I put the new gear in, held the rag joint about where it belonged to get an idea of how much the shaft needed to be shortened, the put some tape on shaft. Removed the gear for access then pounded the shaft in up to the tape line. I used the old rag joint to pound on. T
Thanks!
Old 02-27-2017, 03:59 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

If you can soak the shaft with penetrating oil and then clean it / polish it - it's easier to move. This will also make adjusting much easier.

I found cleaning the teeth on the end of the shaft with a small wire wheel also helps get the new rag joint on.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:15 PM
Kevin68
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mpro71vette
When installing the borgeson steering kit how many inches do you collapse the steering shaft? I read that if you go to far its hard to go back.
I've read that too but fortunately never found out if that is true.

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
This is correct except don't start with pounding. A few taps with a rubber mallet is all mine needed...and maybe yours.

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson streering shaft

Quick Reply: Borgeson streering shaft