Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm A Tumbling Fool - Or Cleaning Bolts The Easy Way

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:48 PM
JCare
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too followed David's lead on this over a year ago after seeing his operation and can tell you, this is a process of progress over days, not hours or a day. I set it and forget it, or try too, for a couple of days. I see David has added glass bead as a tumbling media, so I may have to get some of that too.

Simple Green also helps, but don't put too little in, it turns into a mucky nasty mess. If I use simple green, I will lay out my media on some brown paper afterwards and allow it to dry, otherwise it dries into one large chunk or two.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:08 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by JCare
I too followed David's lead on this over a year ago after seeing his operation and can tell you, this is a process of progress over days, not hours or a day. I set it and forget it, or try too, for a couple of days. I see David has added glass bead as a tumbling media, so I may have to get some of that too.

Simple Green also helps, but don't put too little in, it turns into a mucky nasty mess. If I use simple green, I will lay out my media on some brown paper afterwards and allow it to dry, otherwise it dries into one large chunk or two.
I am using four items now Jonathan. I use simple green as a pre-soaker for grease and for a cleaner in the tumbler. I use rust remover for badly rusted parts as a soaker too. I tumble with ceramic media first, then finish with the glass beads. So my sequence is 1) soak in simple green; rinse; 2) soak in rust remover; rinse; 3) tumble with ceramic media; 4) add simple green to green ceramic and tumble; rinse and dry; 5) tumble in glass bead media; rinse; dry; oil; store. I know the negative guys will say this is too much work and I hear them.
The only real work is moving the parts and media around. The time between is used doing other activities while the parts tumble. If you have no patience then don't even try this, you will be disappointed with the results. If you can set it and forget it then you will be happy with the results.

Enjoy.

David
Old 05-05-2018, 06:44 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

bringing up an old thread

im cleaning bolts for my 69' conv,

ive got a vibratory tumbler,not a rock tumbler,im using walnut shells,and the green little pyramids from harbor freight,,after 12hours of tumbling there just not clean like new,,

what other media can I use?,or im going back to the blast cabinet [takes way longer]
Old 05-07-2018, 06:50 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
bringing up an old thread

im cleaning bolts for my 69' conv,

ive got a vibratory tumbler,not a rock tumbler,im using walnut shells,and the green little pyramids from harbor freight,,after 12hours of tumbling there just not clean like new,,

what other media can I use?,or im going back to the blast cabinet [takes way longer]
I have never heard success using the vibratory tumbler, sorry. I had read of disappointment when using it so I tried the rock tumbler instead and have had great success with it. I set the machines up and I let them do their work. Rock tumblers are a slow and methodical way of cleaning up the parts. If you need fast results then media blasting would be, in my opinion, a better option for you, or some other elctro-mechanical process perhaps. I have limited space to work so I allow the time to do its thing.
I clear the threads after I am done cleaning the parts and then put them back into service when and where I can do so.
Not for everyone, works well for me.
David
Old 05-07-2018, 10:25 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I have been using tumbler with green media. Works ok but you have a film to clean off when it's done. I guess it's better then a wire wheel flinging things.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:43 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

David

Since you can't work on your car....maybe we can all send you bolts and nuts to clean in your rock tumbler!! ??
Old 05-08-2018, 06:39 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by croaker
I have been using tumbler with green media. Works ok but you have a film to clean off when it's done. I guess it's better then a wire wheel flinging things.
At the end of my tumbling cycle I empty the green ceramic media, leave the parts in the container, then fill the container half full with simple green and tumble for one or two more days. The parts come out clean. I still wipe them down in a clean shop towel afterwards and let them air dry. If I want to coat them I use a little penetrating oil like chain oil.

Make sure to clean out the slurry left behind or it will harden and would then have to be cleaned again. If you let the simple green dry out it leaves a mess to deal with.

I also use the tumbler with simple green to clean the green media and let it dry afterwards using a strainer. That cleans the media up to be used again.

Just a few tips and tricks to help along the way.

Cheers

David
Old 05-08-2018, 06:44 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
David

Since you can't work on your car....maybe we can all send you bolts and nuts to clean in your rock tumbler!! ??
Interesting concept you have there. Pick on the sick guy to do your dirty work.

My tumblers are silent now as I have shut everything down for the next four weeks so I am not tempted to do anything that might do additional damage to my foot. Maybe with a little due diligence I can heal correctly and get back to my hobby.

Love the humor though, keep it coming.

David
The following users liked this post:
Torqued Off (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 12:58 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Great results, David and thank you for posting!

I too am very fascinated with cleaning bolts. It is therapeutic to reveal the bolt stampings.

I run a similar setup for my hardware. Works like a charm!

For rust prevention after tumbling I use a product called AfterBlast from Eastwood which is a final cleaner as well as puts a phosphate coating back on the part. I follow this up with paint/powder coat and I am assured that the part will not rust for many, many years.
LenWoodruff (05-09-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 05:23 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Ahh, the old rock tumblers like I had when I was a kid. Great idea.

One suggestion, get a good thread restorer kit. Don't use tap and die to clean threads as a tap and die are designed to remove material. Thread restorer or "thread chaser" just cleans the treads of galling or grease/sealant without removing any thread material.
If you use a tap and die on a bolt that has to be torqued, like a head bolt (not that I would reuse a head bolt anyway) removing thread material will change the torque holding properties of the bolt.
The following 4 users liked this post by theandies:
AllC34Me (05-12-2018), dmaxx3500 (05-11-2018), LenWoodruff (05-09-2018), ZRXGreen (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 08:33 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Great thread to resurrect! Very interesting.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:33 PM
mijohnst
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks really great. I think I'll go buy me a tumbler specifically for cleaning up old washers and bolts. Are you happy with the one from HF?

What I've been using is a wire wheel. Seems to work really well but I'm a little concerned that it wears down the coating protection.

Last edited by mijohnst; 05-14-2018 at 08:29 AM.
AllC34Me (06-17-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 09:41 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Txs David....you saved me typing a long inquiry......
AllC34Me (06-17-2018)
Old 04-20-2019, 09:33 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Hey guys, im from over in the c4 section. i had seen the vibratory tumbler idea on youtube and ordered one.

i used playground gravel as media. i take them greasy and rusty as F and put them straight into the tumbler. i add half a cup of simple green and half a cup of phosphoric acid in a weak concentration. they tumble for a few hours and come out clean and parkerized or “blued” or phosphate coated.

i simply put the bolts into an icecream pail then run hot water over them and haphazardly mix and role them with a dollar store dishscrub brush. this gets any fines that forms paste off.

then i spraymist them with wd40 and results are spectacular. im new to this and like OP David i like my bolts clean!!!!

my goal is zero cost other than a few cents worth of cleaner and electricity. for the phosphoric i use “limelicker”.

im going to try placing the parts in wmo instead of using up wd40 on my next batch, rather not have consumable expenses unless absolutely necessary but i know the cost in time and money for this method is way way way less than the time alone! to find and order the correct fastner new. this method does the cleaning and blueing all at once. i set it and forget it overnight. easy.

thank you to the op for all his notes and hope your foot is healed up!

Robbo (04-22-2019)

Quick Reply: I'm A Tumbling Fool - Or Cleaning Bolts The Easy Way