Drove my C3 in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:24 PM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Drove my C3 in the snow

What did I do with my C3 today? Got caught in a freak spring snow storm driving up to our mountain home. I was in my 81 and my wife was in her C7 with stock tires. Ultimately the Micheline's and the damn nannies made the C7 undrivable. My C3 made it most of the way home, but our laneway was too steep and the rubber guard up front became a snow plow!
Attached Images  

Last edited by PeterC3; 04-08-2017 at 11:30 PM. Reason: error
Old 04-09-2017, 12:39 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Now.......... That's a scary pic......glad to hear you both made it home eventually!

Last edited by doorgunner; 04-09-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:51 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Great Pic...
Old 04-09-2017, 08:03 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,296 Likes on 3,921 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

did you have to tow the C7? You said undrivable
Old 04-09-2017, 08:22 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Nice shot, and nothing melted, glad you made it home safely.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:47 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That would suck
Old 04-09-2017, 09:04 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Wow, I would not be happy. Glad everything turned out ok.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:26 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 522 Likes on 352 Posts

When my '75 was my only car (circa 1992-2001), it got driven every day, rain, snow, etc.

Even drove to Whistler and Mt Baker to go skiing when I lived at Whidbey. 203 cm skis (remember when long skis where the rage) will fit in a '75 vert, LOL.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:39 AM
Diablozx9
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fun.
The day i bought my 81, there was a heavy snow.
The car was 200km (120 miles) from home.
- No traction
- No heat
- No defroster
However, I always love driving my Corvette.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:24 PM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
did you have to tow the C7? You said undrivable
The Michelin Super Sports are frightening on anything past whet pavement. Then combine the no traction with the C7's fancy schmancy goodamm sensors and engine killing software that made a bad situation very frustrating.

There was no readily available driving mode that would not kill the engine because of the no-traction. It was an effort just to back up and turn the car around to drive it down the inclined road to a turn off where it sits until conditions clear up. Since there is still some snow around we are going to try handling in competitive mode to see if that makes any difference. Have to look up how to get into it though.....

The C3 with it's Toyo PRX 4+ had a much better time, even up a significant slope. If I gave the accelerator to much the back end would fishtail, but then the sensor in my head detected this condition and adjusted my foots force on the accelerator to compensate. Sometimes I use excessive rotation to advantage. That's the way it should be! And one of the reasons I'm becoming more and more of a fan of classic cars and their beautiful simplicity.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:57 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterC3
The Michelin Super Sports are frightening on anything past whet pavement. Then combine the no traction with the C7's fancy schmancy goodamm sensors and engine killing software that made a bad situation very frustrating.

There was no readily available driving mode that would not kill the engine because of the no-traction. It was an effort just to back up and turn the car around to drive it down the inclined road to a turn off where it sits until conditions clear up. Since there is still some snow around we are going to try handling in competitive mode to see if that makes any difference. Have to look up how to get into it though.....

The C3 with it's Toyo PRX 4+ had a much better time, even up a significant slope. If I gave the accelerator to much the back end would fishtail, but then the sensor in my head detected this condition and adjusted my foots force on the accelerator to compensate. Sometimes I use excessive rotation to advantage. That's the way it should be! And one of the reasons I'm becoming more and more of a fan of classic cars and their beautiful simplicity.
Old skool beats all that fancy technology. Maybe if it were a self driving C7? Then the road could become a parking lot since the tech would not know what to do.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 04-09-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:07 PM
tomvr
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

The reason I have a 78 C3. Not the first HINT of a computer. Nothing I hate worse than computers in cars.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:22 PM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Well that's something you don't see to damn often!
Old 04-09-2017, 06:09 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

If I gave the accelerator to much the back end would fishtail, but then the sensor in my head detected this condition and adjusted my foots force on the accelerator to compensate. Sometimes I use excessive rotation to advantage. That's the way it should be! And one of the reasons I'm becoming more and more of a fan of classic cars and their beautiful simplicity.
I agree ,although I have never seen snow and have no desire to . I can relate to what you saying about older cars .

Last edited by bazza77; 04-09-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:32 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Don't blame the high tech features of your C7, for not being able to drive it in the snow. Your problem is the Pilot Super Sports. Those are summer only tires, designed to operate only in warm weather. It doesn't need to be snowing, to have issues while driving on summer tires either. They can become useless, and dangerous, any time you drive on them in temperatures below 40 degrees F.

When you retrieve your car, you may find that the tires have become damaged, by driving them in the snow and cold. Summer tires crack and chunk, when used in cold conditions, and neither GM or Michilen will warranty them when used improperly. You can even damage summer tires, storing them in temperatures below freezing.

Friends on mine with new Corvettes, claim that their Z51 Corvettes handle very well in the snow, when equipped with winter tires, and the Mode Selector set to "Weather".

This will give you a little background on "Summer" performance tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=273

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...king/index.htm

Last edited by gbvette62; 04-09-2017 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Added the links.
The following users liked this post:
SwampeastMike (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 09:28 PM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Don't blame the high tech features of your C7, for not being able to drive it in the snow. Your problem is the Pilot Super Sports. Those are summer only tires, designed to operate only in warm weather. It doesn't need to be snowing, to have issues while driving on summer tires either. They can become useless, and dangerous, any time you drive on them in temperatures below 40 degrees F.

When you retrieve your car, you may find that the tires have become damaged, by driving them in the snow and cold. Summer tires crack and chunk, when used in cold conditions, and neither GM or Michilen will warranty them when used improperly. You can even damage summer tires, storing them in temperatures below freezing.

Friends on mine with new Corvettes, claim that their Z51 Corvettes handle very well in the snow, when equipped with winter tires, and the Mode Selector set to "Weather".

This will give you a little background on "Summer" performance tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=273

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...king/index.htm
Yep, true, can't blame the tires. And we discussed the situation with her C7 and made sure we knew how to get into "competitive" mode, to get past most of the safety "features", without having to dig into the manual or the forums. Also, we will probably get another set of rims for tires better suited to spring and fall when temps are lower.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:00 PM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

One thing about the software/sensor safety features in the C7 and like cars is that they may be too good at damping bad driving conditions.

The C7 in this case simply slowed down in the snow until it wouldn't move, and unless you experienced it before you would not know why it would not respond. There was no sliding sideways, no indications driving conditions were deteriorating, until you were dead in the the road.

I don't suggest that sliding all over the place in my primitive C3 is desirable, but you got to have an indication that conditions are getting bad so you can stop before it's too late and the car won't move and you don't know why....

Get notified of new replies

To Drove my C3 in the snow

Old 04-10-2017, 01:34 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Wow! This brings back memories!
In December 1979 I bought a brand new 1980 'vette. My mistake was spending all my money for the down payment on my only car. In retrospect I should have put aside some money for a beater car to take me through the winter (lesson to be learned here young Bucks!).
One day that winter I went to the mall with my GF right after work one day. After a couple hours inside I departed the mall to find it snowing pretty good, pretty fast. It was twenty miles from home and that vette wanted nothing but to slip and slide all the way home. I couldn't surpass 35 mph without loosing traction. Traffic was getting anxious trying to pass me and at only 18 my driving judgement wasn't all that great. Instead of seeking a better way to deal with this problem I decided to increase my speed just a tad. Too much, I began to slide and like slow motion I slid into a roadside curb at 30 mph. My front passenger wheel was gouged out, cracked, the lower A arm and tie rod was bent. I had limp home at about 15 mph because I couldn't steer the car.
That stock vette with stock tires was a death defying ride on wet or lightly snow covered roads!
Old 04-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

When i got my 75 i used to deliver pizzas with it in the winter, we also did our grocery shopping in it.
Driving in the snow back then was fun.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:52 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

My first Corvette was a '68 coupe, I used it as my DD in all weather conditions.
Your snow pic, reminds me of driving mine over I90 (Snoqualmie Pass) in the dead of winter..fun times.

Quick Reply: Drove my C3 in the snow