Sponsored by:

advice on original rear calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:24 PM
j79z28
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default advice on original rear calipers

I need some advice on what you would do. I have recently purchased a 14K mile 78 anniversary car. The rear calipers started leaking, so I purchased correct Delco Moraine stamped calipers. Question is, would you keep the original calipers or return them for the core? Their isn't a junk yard near me where I can throw an old set of used calipers in the box and return those. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:32 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

I would keep them....

Brian
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 11:12 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by j79z28
I need some advice on what you would do. I have recently purchased a 14K mile 78 anniversary car. The rear calipers started leaking, so I purchased correct Delco Moraine stamped calipers. Question is, would you keep the original calipers or return them for the core? Their isn't a junk yard near me where I can throw an old set of used calipers in the box and return those. Thanks for your thoughts.

I have some extra rear caliper cores, if your interested send a PM
Old 04-10-2017, 11:52 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

If you bough the correct Delco Moraine stamped calipers, what reason could there be to keep the old ones.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:55 PM
engineerd
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just went through this exact same thing. The previous owner gave me boxes of original parts when I bought the car. I just cleaned them up and added to the collection.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:23 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Are you sure that they are the original calipers? After almost 40 years, chances are pretty good that the calipers were previously replaced. Original caliper seals don't normally last 40 years, no matter what the miles are.

Your rear calipers should be casting numbers 5473806 and 5473807, for a 78.

Is there any sign of paint marks, on either of the rear calipers? The calipers originally had white (right rear) and pale blue (left rear) paint inspection marks on them. After 40 years, the paint marks are usually gone, but with only 14,000 miles, there's a chance that there still may be a remnant of the paint marks present. Below are the rear calipers off of an 18 mile, original unrestored 78 Pace Car, showing the paint marks that were on the sides of the rear calipers.

If you do have your original calipers, you may want to consider sending them out to be sleeved and rebuilt. Most of the Corvette brake companies will rebuild and return your calipers, for a nominal "babysitting" fee, usually $15-$25 dollars extra per caliper.

Both front calipers had paint inspection marks also. If you're interested, here are the front calipers off of the same 18 mile Pace Car. The right has an orange mark on the side of it, and the left has a white mark on the side. Both calipers have additional white marks around one end of them. Rebuilt calipers, and GM service replacement ones, won't have any of the inspection marks.

Get notified of new replies

To advice on original rear calipers

Quick Reply: advice on original rear calipers