Sponsored by:

Red 1982 Details

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:02 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Red 1982 Details

Good day all, anyone have any information or details on this one: 1G1AY8788C5124640 a red 1982 vette
i believe it was auctioned. But wanted to know if any major issues or feedback if possible as it was offered to me and wanted to make sure before going ahead with it.
I appreciate any information shared.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 06:39 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Your link goes to a VIN decoder. Looks like a reasonably nice 82. This link if from last summer: Http://ae.allianceautoauction.com/lo...ad_th_8670.htm

Can you provide better pics of the car?
Old 04-26-2017, 06:48 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Thanks mike. I saw that link you posted but couldn't get more details on the car conditions. I received the following photos:
Engine

Old 04-26-2017, 06:53 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

It's definitely been messed with, as the cross fire injection and smog pump have been removed. Could be good or bad. Cosmetic wise, it doesn't look bad.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

That what caught my attention.. the looks!
but when I saw the engine I figured something is not right there...
what could be the good and the bad in removing those parts (the CFI & pump)? As I'm not really expesrt in C3. And can it be put back? On what cost?

Forgot to mention that the car is not in the state now it's in Dubai.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:10 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

If the car does not have to be smog tested were you live ,then the carb is fine .
Old 04-26-2017, 11:16 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEROVETTE7
That what caught my attention.. the looks!
but when I saw the engine I figured something is not right there...
what could be the good and the bad in removing those parts (the CFI & pump)? As I'm not really expesrt in C3. And can it be put back? On what cost?

Forgot to mention that the car is not in the state now it's in Dubai.
From the pictures, it looks pretty good except:
- incorrect (older C3s) headlight switch/bezel
- Passenger side, interior door handle is mangled
- the paint damage on the tip of the nose is very common - I measured that there are 3 ft., 8 inches of frontal hood area that you cannot see from the passenger seat if you are 6 ft. tall.
- the missing Crossfire will always inhibit the originality, hence the value of the car in the long run. So will the non-stock radio that doesn't happen to match anything with the `82's interior.
- The A/C compressor belt appears to be installed upside down.
- It has the wrong steering wheel - the `82 has black spokes
- the ribs in the center, parking brake console do not belong there.
- I have a feeling that the car has been painted - the inner door area looks too shiney to be stock.
- It doesn't look like it has the original tilt steering lever on the left side - appears to have a chrome tipped nipple of sorts.
- The mis-aligned left front headlight is fairly severe - why? For certain it did not leave the factory that way.
- It appears that perhaps the dashboard has been re-dyed based on the red attachment screw by the driver's door as it is sopposed to bechrome.

There were 25,407 C3's built that (last) year - based on the serial number, yours was built very late in the run @#: 24,640. That should be a good thing as the quality got better as Bowling Green continuously improved.

Be careful - though, overall it appears to be in solid shape but it will require a lot of normal stuff, especially being in the Texas, and now Emerite heat. Hopefully you are somewhat technically inclined knowing you can order any parts that you need. The car is a true joy to own and drive.

Good luck and have fun with it driving around the UAE. It would get a lot of attention around the Fujairah seashore line. (I recently traveled there on business with my employer, Ford Motor Co.)

Dave

Last edited by Lakeside49; 05-01-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:02 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

:t
Originally Posted by Lakeside49
From the pictures, it looks pretty good except:
- incorrect (older C3s) headlight switch/bezel
- Passenger side, interior door handle is mangled
- the paint damage on the tip of the nose is very common - I measured that there are 3 ft., 8 inches of frontal hood area that you cannot see from the passenger seat if you are 6 ft. tall.
- the missing Crossfire will always inhibit the originality, hence the value of the car in the long run. So will the non-stock radio that doesn't happen to match anything with the `82's interior.
- The A/C compressor belt appears to be installed upside down.
- It has the wrong steering wheel - the `82 has black spokes
- the ribs in the center, parking brake console do not belong there.
- I have a feeling that the car has been painted - the inner door area looks too shiney to be stock.
- It doesn't look like it has the original tilt steering lever on the left side - appears to have a chrome tipped nipple of sorts.
- The mis-aligned left front headlight is fairly severe - why? For certain it did not leave the factory that way.

There were 25,407 C3's built that (last) year - based on the serial number, yours was built very late in the run @#: 24,640. That should be a good thing as the quality got better as Bowling Green continuously improved.

Be careful - though, overall it appears to be in solid shape but it will require a lot of normal stuff, especially being in the Texas, and now Emerite heat. Hopefully you are somewhat technically inclined knowing you can order any parts that you need. The car is a true joy to own and drive.

Good luck and have fun with it driving around the UAE. It would get a lot of attention around the Fujairah seashore line. (I recently traveled there on business with my employer, Ford Motor Co.)

Dave
Wow I love this forum, from a couple of photos can get tons of details and information.. you are a life savers guys... thanks a lot
as you said Dave the heat here is unbearable! I always liked the body of the C3 and wanted to have one as I'm more into C4 that's why I requested your help with this one, I didn't test drive it yet I wanted to get some history before going into bargain and negotiation with the seller. He is asking for $15k which I think it's a bit over -don't you think?!- I really wanted it stock for this model no mods no mangle..etc.
out of curiosity and according to your experience with C3 how much would it take to bring it back to stock and give it a full facelift as require? Don't think the smog is required in here though.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:48 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

How about this one VIN: 1G1AY8785C5100425
any details possible?
TIA
Old 05-01-2017, 08:07 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The VIN decoder link does not lead to anything.

Get notified of new replies

To Red 1982 Details

Quick Reply: Red 1982 Details