Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette People; I almost forgot!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts
Default Corvette People; I almost forgot!

I’ve owned at least one Corvette most on my entire life. Purchased my first when I was 18. It was a brand new silver on red leather 1975, paid for with $$ I had saved from cutting grass, delivering newspapers and working on Briggs & Stratton engines since I was about 8 years old.
Well at 59, I sold my last one about a year ago, as for the last 15 years or so I’ve been heavily involved in custom handmade knife and antique Winchester rifle collecting and had lost interest in Corvettes. A few months ago I started missing not having one and have been looking to purchase another car or cars. Over the last two weeks I have spent over 30 hours and a thousand dollars traveling looking at Corvettes to purchase, including my trip yesterday to look at a FINE 70 LT1.
I don’t consider these trips a waist, especially yesterday’s trip as meeting with car owners/collectors has really help me re-familiarize myself with what it’s like to be “Corvette People”.

When my son-in-law and I arrived yesterday after about a 5 hour drive the owner/collector started us off with the LT1 on a lift and we went from front to rear him discussing each part in detail. By the way, the under carriage of this car was amazing, especially considering it wasn’t a frame off. It was oblivious the owner had spent an enormous amount of time an effort dismantling, inspecting and cleaning practically every part under the car. The dedication, passion and excitement he demonstrated in not just cleaning\restoring this car over the years but him telling us about the car, showing us the massive amount of documentation/research he has done really brought back to me what it like to be “Corvette People”. We discussed Corvettes for quite a while and I learned from the owner and perhaps he may have picked up something from me. That’s what often happens when “Corvette People” get together. Yesterday’s visit reminded me that Corvettes are not ‘just cars’ and the people who collect, repair, maintain, buy, sell them are not ‘just people’ we are people who all share a common passion, inspiration and excitement for something.

Thank you for reading my rambling, and feel free to share any thoughts or views you may have on the subject.
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 12:10 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Did you buy it ?
Old 05-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

I think you are over-generalizing. There is a huge difference between the hands-on LT1 owner you ran into....and the person who leases a new C7 and takes it to the local Corvette show for a trophy.
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 02:20 PM
Shdggsdv
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
I think you are over-generalizing. There is a huge difference between the hands-on LT1 owner you ran into....and the person who leases a new C7 and takes it to the local Corvette show for a trophy.
A friend of my GF's brother got a HS graduation present from his folks as a true numbers matching '72 Corvette with even restored original paint. It's a little sad to see because he really doesn't care about the beautiful thing. He's apparently pretty reckless with it too and wants his parents to buy him a GTR instead. He's definitely the type who occasionally takes it to shows to win awards and that's the heightened extent of his care for it.

Absolutely a massive difference between types of Corvette owners. For some, like me, it's a lifestyle. For him and many others, it's just a curvy car.

Last edited by Shdggsdv; 05-21-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:28 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Agree and thanks!

brought back to me what it like to be “Corvette People”. We discussed Corvettes for quite a while and I learned from the owner and perhaps he may have picked up something from me. That’s what often happens when “Corvette People” get together. Yesterday’s visit reminded me that Corvettes are not ‘just cars’ and the people who collect, repair, maintain, buy, sell them are not ‘just people’ we are people who all share a common passion, inspiration and excitement for something.

Agree and thanks for sharing your story! There really is something about most "Corvette People" that is unique and special.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Originally Posted by Shdggsdv
A friend of my GF's brother got a HS graduation present from his folks as a true numbers matching '72 Corvette with even restored original paint. It's a little sad to see because he really doesn't care about the beautiful thing. He's apparently pretty reckless with it too and wants his parents to buy him a GTR instead. He's definitely the type who occasionally takes it to shows to win awards and that's the heightened extent of his care for it.

Absolutely a massive difference between types of Corvette owners. For some, like me, it's a lifestyle. For him and many others, it's just a curvy car.
I agree with you both, driving, even owning a Corvette doesn't necessarily make you a "Corvette Person" it's more a lifestyle or passion. And I've found "Corvette People" who don't own a Corvette. Like for example, people who follow/participate in forums and/or go to Carlisle year after year who don't own Corvettes. They would certainly love to have one. I've meet Corvette salesmen and mechanics who don't actually own one but follow, and are crazy about them.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by jr9170
Did you buy it ?
Not yet, great car, made an offer, received a counter offer - we will see soon.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:10 PM
jdmtra
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was never a 'Corvette' person, other than the understanding that this is an iconic American Car that's been pretty much the same since the 80s (not getting into the nitty gritties). I was always a V8 lover, and the dream was to own/drive one each of the current crop (Mustang, Challenger, Camaro). Did the Stang (2015) and the Challenger SRT8 (2015 again), however when I came to the US, the Corvette caught my attention.

Reading more into it, I realized that I found myself turning more and more into a Corvette person, even though my ownership has been only about a month. However the dream has now been expanded to drive and own the C5 and C6 for the short stint that I am here (Until 2019).

Yes the Mustang, Challenger, Camaros have their followers ( I used to be quite active on Challenger forums), history and interesting tid bits and stories. I found myself being intrigued by the Corvette in the same manner. Another contributing factor was perhaps that technically, the Corvette did a lot many things way before the others, like the suspension, performance, brakes etc.

Cheers! and best of luck for your purchase! Hope you get it!
Old 05-22-2017, 07:49 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

good luck, I hope its yours soon, then post some picS!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette People; I almost forgot!

Quick Reply: Corvette People; I almost forgot!