Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which C3 stingray should I be getting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 04:09 PM
philbegas
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which C3 stingray should I be getting?

Hey guys,
I currently have a G35 as a daily driver, but I'm looking to get a muscle car within the next few years. I actually looked at some C3 corvettes when I was buying my car, but I ultimately decided that it would be ill advised to have a V8 muscle car as my only car lol. I've wanted a Vette ever since I was little. Please don't offer to sell me your car BTW, I cannot afford to purchase it *right now*, but I just want to know what sort of price ranges I'd be looking at for a good condition one, because then I know what kind of money I should be setting aside for it! (I like to plan things as far in advance as possible).

A few things that I'd be considering/looking for:
1. Stingray body style (1969-1976?)
2. Are there models that are particularly known for being rust-prone or unreliable?
3. If possible, I'd probably be looking for the faster models? Are the big-block V8 models faster than the small-block? I was looking at this chart on Wikipedia and the power outputs seem significantly larger in the big-block, but I don't know if they're way heavier too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...e_(C3)#Engines
4. My G35 is a 6 speed manual, so the sound of a 3 speed manual is.... a little silly? Is it better to go for the 4 speed if possible? (I do want a manual).

I apologize in advance if this seems really specific but I appreciate any/all advice. I live in the bay so very few people around me are interested in cars because so many drive dreary imports or don't have cars at all lol.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:16 PM
JayRay
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by philbegas
Hey guys,
I currently have a G35 as a daily driver, but I'm looking to get a muscle car within the next few years. I actually looked at some C3 corvettes when I was buying my car, but I ultimately decided that it would be ill advised to have a V8 muscle car as my only car lol. I've wanted a Vette ever since I was little. Please don't offer to sell me your car BTW, I cannot afford to purchase it *right now*, but I just want to know what sort of price ranges I'd be looking at for a good condition one, because then I know what kind of money I should be setting aside for it! (I like to plan things as far in advance as possible).

A few things that I'd be considering/looking for:
1. Stingray body style (1969-1976?)
2. Are there models that are particularly known for being rust-prone or unreliable?
3. If possible, I'd probably be looking for the faster models? Are the big-block V8 models faster than the small-block? I was looking at this chart on Wikipedia and the power outputs seem significantly larger in the big-block, but I don't know if they're way heavier too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...e_(C3)#Engines
4. My G35 is a 6 speed manual, so the sound of a 3 speed manual is.... a little silly? Is it better to go for the 4 speed if possible? (I do want a manual).

I apologize in advance if this seems really specific but I appreciate any/all advice. I live in the bay so very few people around me are interested in cars because so many drive dreary imports or don't have cars at all lol.

Since your in CA get PRE 1975 Model if you can afford one, you will not have to worry about SMOG tests and can mod it anyway you please.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:17 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Hey, Hey, Hey, plenty of us Bay Area folks around.

A lot of this will depend on budget. If you buy a really good car to start you can make changes for better handling and power.

I'm a Big Block fan, but these SBC 427's are pretty sweet too.

My BBC has aluminum heads, intake, water pump and headers to lighten the front end. The Iron heads along weigh about 70 lbs each.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:20 PM
philbegas
Heel & Toe

Oh snap I had no idea my post was approved, I realized I should have done more research on my side and make a few more comments but I can't edit once I submit to a moderator oops.

- I was hoping to get a t-top once this all comes to fruition. Does that limit my options / is there anything wrong with t tops? (Maybe bad fitment, idk what else).

- I'm not a purist, so I would probably modify it for better reliability / handling.

In response to the CA point, I'm actually moving to Philly in the fall, but I have no idea how long I'll stay there - but the point about CA is noted because I'd like to come back and live in southern CA again.

Also, I read some of the other threads and it sounds like I should go to a classic car show or corvette meet or something like that so I can see more of the cars in person before bugging you guys with tons of hypotheticals so I'm going to try to do that.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:36 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Remember......the 1968 to 1973 Corvettes have the near-vertical tail light panel. The 1974 to 1979 Corvettes have the downward sloped tail light panel.

Last edited by doorgunner; 05-30-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:50 PM
philbegas
Heel & Toe

Oh Snap, you're right. I made the mistake of thinking the straight-back correlated with the "stingray" trademark. That's actually what matters to me. I don't like the sloped-back look. I want the flat back, or the sloped back with the fin/trunk lip/whatever the appropriate name is for it.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:59 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

So 1968 to 1973 then if you want the flat with a small kick up.

In 74 it switched to the below.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:06 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

77 is the best year, especially Orange 77 Corvettes.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:14 PM
philbegas
Heel & Toe

But in the later half of the C3s, they also had this which is ok with me, although yes I think I like the 68-73 the best

Were sidepipes only on the later models?

Last edited by philbegas; 05-30-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:50 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Factory sides pipes were a 1969 only option.

If you want aftermarket side pipes get a 68 though 75 so you are SMOG exempt. Otherwise you have to keep it on the stock side.

75 and up all had catalytic converters.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:03 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

you should buy my 69' 427 tri-power conv
Old 05-30-2017, 09:21 PM
philbegas
Heel & Toe

Gotcha. Even if I move there's a huge chance I'd want to move back to CA at some point for grad school so pre 75 sounds good to me.

I know they are way less efficient, but are the big blocks faster? Seemed like they put down 6 second times whereas the small blocks put down 7 second times. However, these are self reported times so I take them with a grain of salt.

Last edited by philbegas; 05-30-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:21 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by philbegas
...I'm looking to get a muscle car within the next few years...I just want to know what sort of price ranges I'd be looking at...
Wait a few years and see what prices are at that time.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:24 AM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 515 Likes on 360 Posts

the ones going up in value are the 68 thru 72!!!
Old 05-31-2017, 09:15 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Just an FYI, compared to your G35 a C3 is going to feel like a farm tractor and your G35 will out perform most all of the C3's.

68-73 C3's use either a 4spd manual transmission or a 3spd automatic transmission. There are NO overdrives.

C3's are fun cars, but realize you are stepping back in time and technology by 40+ years. Most 68-73 C3's will average 12-14mpg as a daily driver, big blocks will be less.

I hope you get the C3 that you desire, but you better be prepared for what you're getting yourself into. These cars WILL need maintenance, more so as a daily driver. Based on your "oh snap" responses, I don't think you're prepared for what lies ahead. If I'm wrong, I apologize, not trying to be flippant with you. Good luck in your search.

Last edited by Revi; 05-31-2017 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
philbegas (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 12:41 PM
Shdggsdv
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Revi
Just an FYI, compared to your G35 a C3 is going to feel like a farm tractor and your G35 will out perform most all of the C3's.

68-73 C3's use either a 4spd manual transmission or a 3spd automatic transmission. There are NO overdrives.

C3's are fun cars, but realize you are stepping back in time and technology by 40+ years. Most 68-73 C3's will average 12-14mpg as a daily driver, big blocks will be less.

I hope you get the C3 that you desire, but you better be prepared for what you're getting yourself into. These cars WILL need maintenance, more so as a daily driver. Based on your "oh snap" responses, I don't think you're prepared for what lies ahead. If I'm wrong, I apologize, not trying to be flippant with you. Good luck in your search.
Can confirm. My '75 is my first car and it eats my wallet for breakfast. Definitely be prepared for a ton of work (Can at times feel like a part time job) and a bunch of money. I'm 3 years into ownership and I've already put $6k into a car that was in pretty great shape to begin with (In most ways). Granted a lot of that was spent on improvements to the engine engine, suspension, and interior. Not necessarily just fixing things
The following users liked this post:
philbegas (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 01:10 PM
philbegas
Heel & Toe

Revi: No offense taken. I appreciate the honest response, I would only be getting a C3 as an additional car, all of these things are why I didn't get a C3 when I was looking at cars. My original choice was actually G35, Rx8, C5 corvette, Jag XK8, S2000, and C3, but I tried to go with one of the cars that would be easier to live with.

Easy Mike: I will of course, I just wanted to have a bit more knowledge about what I'd be getting into, so when I have the money I already have a bit of knowledge about it. I'm all about being as well informed as possible. Fortunately, my girlfriend likes muscle cars too so if she can be convinced, she might even throw some money towards it.

I appreciate all the responses, thanks for letting me pick your brains guys, you all know way more about muscle cars than I do.

Last edited by philbegas; 05-31-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Which C3 stingray should I be getting?

Old 05-31-2017, 03:21 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

After a car is well sorted they can be very reliable, but that means going though the whole thing. If you can find one already done and the owner wants to move on to another project it's a great way to save a lot of headache.

I just got me rear end back from a rebuild and should be back on the road shortly.

There are some events coming up you could try and make.
http://www.californiastingrays.us/

As for power my 496 made this at the wheels with the low profile intake.
Name:  IMG_20160505_093640_zpswiabsjhs.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  7.25 MB
Old 05-31-2017, 05:23 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

A G35 is no Corvette, and shouldn't even be spoken in the same sentence. I apologize for doing that.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:43 PM
philbegas
Heel & Toe

You make it sound like the G35 is a terrible car lol.

Quick Reply: Which C3 stingray should I be getting?