Sponsored by:

My 1978 Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:09 PM
kaervek71
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 1978 Project

I'm making some progress on my '78 project and everyone seems to like pics so I thought I'd share some.

Bringing it home.

After I got it home and in the garage I spent several days doing inventory on what parts I had. I was well aware when I bought the car that it was missing a ton of parts since the previous owner had turned it into a drag car.

So many parts and so many more missing. After getting my inventory done, I started working on the chassis.

Front end being assembled finally, still didn't have the power steering parts in yet.

Brake calipers and bearings all installed.

I didn't realize just how heavy this new leaf spring actually was, eckler's didn't even package it when they sent it, just a shipping tag zip tied to it, lol.

At this point I started rebuilding the trailing arms. After some minor mistakes on my part I finally got them done and finished the rear axle assembly so the chassis is finally on all 4 wheels.

Tires on the back are 295/50 15.

Had to relocate the parking brake cable brackets to the top of the trailing arms and add spacers for the tires to clear everything.

The chassis is almost complete now with a few little things left to do. The previous owner removed the #4 frame mounts and I have yet to replace them. I fabricated all of the brake and fuel lines myself, though I did consider just buying the stainless lines briefly. Some might say I should get the ss lines, but this car will never see snow as long as I own it.

I'll post more pics later as I get closer to completing the engine. I stayed with a 350, but it's far from stock.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:57 PM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow Lot of work but movin on nicely!
The following users liked this post:
kaervek71 (06-12-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 07:19 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

At least the po saved you from having to take it apart. I am working on mt own 78 project. Been all stripped down and now starting to go back together. The only thing I will pass along is that in the 2 years mine has been going on I have changed directions a few times so try not to buy too many parts for the finishing part of the build while you are still in the early part. For example I went from building it stock to buying a striker and I finally ended up putting a 1986 TPI L 98 in it with a 200r4. Lots of things bought and sold ...for a loss usually I keep reminding myself it's the lourney not the destination. Keep up the hard work and yes we do love pix. Thanks for sharing them
Old 06-12-2017, 06:41 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hope your good with puzzles, but I know when done, it will look great!
Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 PM
kaervek71
Cruising

Originally Posted by kanvasman
At least the po saved you from having to take it apart. I am working on mt own 78 project. Been all stripped down and now starting to go back together. The only thing I will pass along is that in the 2 years mine has been going on I have changed directions a few times so try not to buy too many parts for the finishing part of the build while you are still in the early part. For example I went from building it stock to buying a striker and I finally ended up putting a 1986 TPI L 98 in it with a 200r4. Lots of things bought and sold ...for a loss usually I keep reminding myself it's the lourney not the destination. Keep up the hard work and yes we do love pix. Thanks for sharing them
Unfortunately, I've already made a few bad purchases. Thankfully they weren't overly expensive ones at least. As for the engine, I spent a few weeks debating what to do, but eventually decided to go back to the 350 since it was so much cheaper to build and allow me more room in my budget for other things for the car.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:32 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Wow.. Looks like good progress. I'm about to put the body back on my chassis. I went with the plain old steel gas and brake lines. Figured I'll not be around next time mine needs a frame off. Keep the pictures coming.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:28 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Holy cow, you said "project" in the title...this is quite the project! Good luck on the restoration and keep the pictures coming. Now get back to work...
Old 06-13-2017, 03:31 PM
GregX1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ho, man!

this is the project of a project...!
Old 06-17-2017, 06:53 PM
kaervek71
Cruising

More progress has been made on my '78. I got the motor done finally and dropped it in the chassis with the rest of the drive line.

Just finished the bottom end

Test fit the headers

No pulleys yet

It's a gen 1 350, ported 487x heads, single plane high rise intake, holley 650 spread bore, stage 3 cam, roller tip rockers, flat top pistons, and side pipe headers. I didn't have to bore it out thankfully. Overall, my total cost of the engine, including the purchase of it is around $700. I'm not counting accessories like the ps pump and alternator.

I got a great deal on the ps pump and brackets from a gentleman on ebay. The alternator brackets I got at summit for around $30, and the alternator and starter are autozone cheapies. The only thing I had for the motor that came with the car when I bought it was the radiator, which was in bad shape to begin with. I plan on replacing the radiator before too long with an aluminum radiator. I fixed the original radiator just for testing and tuning purposes, though I met a guy a few months ago who restores these harrison radiators for corvette resto shops.

My next piece of the puzzle to tackle is the steering column. I knew mine was in bad shape but after pulling it apart to replace the turn signal harness and key cylinder I found a lot more damage so it's getting a full restoration now. I'm also working on getting the body ready to go back on the frame, but still have one more floor pan to repair and a lot of fiberglass work before then.

I'll keep the pics coming.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:14 AM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Great work. I know all about the steering column on my 73. It was moving up and down 5-6 inches and hoped it would be the infamous 4 bolts. Stripped it down to find out the column had a piece broken off. Found a great welder and then had to replace all the bearings and put together. Lots of fun!

Get notified of new replies

To My 1978 Project

Quick Reply: My 1978 Project