Sponsored by:

Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:49 AM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Center Console

I recall a forum member had modded the center console arm rest area and installed a storage/arm rest compartment. I always thought there is wasted space in the area. Since I will be removing the interior this fall, I would like to get some idea of what to do there. I have searched using various words and cannot find anything or that specific post. I recall the OP had used an existing storage/arm rest from a different car.

Does anyone recall this post or any ideas of what to install. Just looking at the arm rest area, Not the dash or cluster. Thanks for any help, Bill
The following users liked this post:
JBrooke825 (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 04:59 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

I will be watching this for an answer, since I also am modding my set up. One thing I have done is install the E STOPP parking brake set up. I had to change the cable set up in the back from a center pull to one that pulls from the driver side. Both cables come over there then hook up to the E Stopp. That appears to be the biggest issue for me. Now there is nothing that has to go in the center except a box with a lid on it. Of course I couldn't do something that simple but that is for another thread. Not cheap by any means but The E Stopp was a perfect solution and their customer service has been great.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Shdggsdv
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkohlmn
I recall a forum member had modded the center console arm rest area and installed a storage/arm rest compartment. I always thought there is wasted space in the area. Since I will be removing the interior this fall, I would like to get some idea of what to do there. I have searched using various words and cannot find anything or that specific post. I recall the OP had used an existing storage/arm rest from a different car.

Does anyone recall this post or any ideas of what to install. Just looking at the arm rest area, Not the dash or cluster. Thanks for any help, Bill
I'm not aware of anyone who made it themselves, but I know Corvettemods and probably several other retailers have this:
https://www.corvettemods.com/C3-Corv...t-_p_6203.html
Old 06-20-2017, 10:14 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I did the e-stopp electronic parking brake-

One you get rid of that - you have a lot of room.

Mine's just a little over the top...

electonic E brake

I'm mimicking a Lamborghini Miura-

Console- will have armrest- will fold back to access cupholder

electrically heated and cooled cupholder - out of an Escalade

Wood slide- off a Volvo S70

Old 06-21-2017, 01:22 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Thank you all for the replies. Kan and Rich, I looked at the E STOPP site and look great, but their out of stock and not that is something I would like to take on at this time. Rich, I followed your progress on your interior, WOW is all I can say. Way beyond my skill level.
Shdg, I saw that same assembly two problems, didn't get very good reviews and they don't make it for a 78. What I saw was someone took the center arm rest/storage out of a car and installed it in place of the existing arm rest. Had to remove the support at the arm rest but it worked great. May have to wait until the interior is out and hit the junk yard to see what I can come up with.
Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:59 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

For '77+ I believe you have to go the completely custom route and won't gain any reasonable amount of storage without replacing or re-engineering the parking brake. From the factory the only "wasted space" I'm aware of is behind the parking brake without the power antenna relay. A single cup holder could possibly fit there but it wouldn't be particularly easy to reach.

The lack of modern storage items (most notably cup holders) is a minor problem that seems far easier to live with than compensate for. The fact that Chevrolet called the little recess in the console bezel behind the shifter in '77+ a "coin tray" gives you an idea of how little attention was given to such storage. Just turn a corner, take a curve at any speed or change speed rapidly and the coins go flying. At least those of us with '77+ get a true glove box.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:48 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Thank you all for the replies. Kan and Rich, I looked at the E STOPP site and look great, but their out of stock and not that is something I would like to take on at this time. Rich, I followed your progress on your interior, WOW is all I can say. Way beyond my skill level.
Shdg, I saw that same assembly two problems, didn't get very good reviews and they don't make it for a 78. What I saw was someone took the center arm rest/storage out of a car and installed it in place of the existing arm rest. Had to remove the support at the arm rest but it worked great. May have to wait until the interior is out and hit the junk yard to see what I can come up with.
Thanks again.
Thank you!!!

Do look at the early 90's Mercedes-Benz 300/500/600 SL- model R129

The console is skinny- under 6 inches so it'll fit between the seats in a C3.

All the other cars I looked at were a lot wider- and you'll see in the pic that it would be one of the easier ones to fit as it uses carpet covered panels on the side like your 78.

Good luck-

Get notified of new replies

To Center Console

Quick Reply: Center Console