Sponsored by:

'82 hood clearance

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:18 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 796 Likes on 545 Posts

Default '82 hood clearance

I have a 78 S/A and I am trying to get my air induction for the L98 TPI engine I just put in to go over and in front of the radiator. Have done a number of searches and there are lots of sort of solutions to this issue, but I also have a 1982 core support, which has a small dimple in the middle of it where I assume part of the cross fire set up went. ANd I have seen pictures of actual 1982 hoods ( not 78-82 universal fit) and there is some type of flapper under the nose of the hood, and the raised part of the hood goes further forward than my stock 78. Would anyone with a 82 hood be able to tell me how much clearance could be gained over a typical 78-81 hood? Or maybe even a few pictures. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:03 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

I have an 82 CE...with the ram air hood and the ram-air flapper and solenoid.

I am unaware of ANY 'extra' clearance this hood could afford....quite the opposite...
There is a large central air plenum bonded to the bottom of the hood for connection from the flapper in front of the radiator core support to the flexible rubber gasket to the Cross-fire induction aircleaner. Probably 1.5" vertically LESS room.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:06 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 796 Likes on 545 Posts

L46 Man, I was thinking of removing the flapper etc.. It looks like it is a bit higher in the front than my stock 78 hood. Thought maybe an inch or two up top and an inch or two in the core support, I might be able to work with something, like one of the late c4 or c5 air bridges going fwd of the radiator. but that does not appear to be the case. I guess it's time to start cutting and welding.Thanks for the time to answer me.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:13 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Dear Kanvasman;

Interesting you say that....THE FIRST THING I did to the car was to remove that assy.
1. It is actually a restriction to the total airflow thru the 'ram-air hood'.
2. It is a thermostatically operated device...engine must be up to operating temp and full throttle must be commanded for it to open.
3. I live in AZ....I want cool(er) ram air allatime!

The flapper and solenoid are still good...just bagged it and tagged it.

{frankly I would have preferred to have the side of the car say RAM-AIR INJECTION, except that FIAT (FCA) owns the name RAM....LOL}

Yes, you are correct the 'ram air slot' is further forward to grab the cool air in front of the radiator. As a Aero-thermodynamicist I recommend completely sealing up the radiator core support/ hood etc with closed cell neoprene foam...if you don't, there will be no difference in TEMPERATURE between the two compartments and you'll be losing some cooling air. (pressure is really the same).
good luck!

unkahal

Last edited by L-46man; 06-23-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To '82 hood clearance

Quick Reply: '82 hood clearance