Sponsored by:

Advice Bumper Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 07:40 PM
Martin Reimer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Bumper Repair

Hi all, im new to the forums and to car repair. I recently bought a 76 Stingray and im looking to get some advice on body damage repair. Should I use bondo glass or some other material to patch the holes? Can somebody walk me thru the steps or point me to a good online resource on how to go about fixing this? If I decided to pass this onto a shop about how much would it cost to repair and do a paint touch up? TIA

front drivers side fender

front bumper
Old 06-25-2017, 11:53 PM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

I would use short strand fiberglass. Feather the edges down a bit . After sanding fiberglass down you can use 2 part glaze and block sand it down to 400 grit.
I'm no expert but how I would tackle
Old 06-26-2017, 01:16 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

By the looks of how thick the missing materials are this can't be the original paint. Perhaps even a skim coat for a build up prior to block sanding?
One cheap, quick fix would be power sanding a larger perimeter around the chipped areas taking repair area back to solid bonded materials (you can see broken bond of remaining materials around missing chips). Very carefully glass in about 90% of the voids, remainder with a light skim coat of finishing filler, prime and paint.
Of course there are infinite ways to tackle this repair. How is the rest of the surrounding painted areas? Is this paint an original color?
Old 06-26-2017, 06:54 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Reimer
Hi all, im new to the forums and to car repair. I recently bought a 76 Stingray and im looking to get some advice on body damage repair. Should I use bondo glass or some other material to patch the holes? Can somebody walk me thru the steps or point me to a good online resource on how to go about fixing this? If I decided to pass this onto a shop about how much would it cost to repair and do a paint touch up? TIA

front drivers side fender

front bumper
Stock 76 bumper covers were molded urethane. Before you begin you must determine whether this is a stock urethane bumper or has been replaced with a fiberglass cover. If the cover is hard and not pliable it is probably fiberglass (from your photos that is my GUESS). If so, the above advice to repair will work, though I use West systems epoxy with an added microfiber fill to assure adhesion when doing my repairs.

If it is urethane, this can be repaired, but I would recommend having it done by a shop. In 76, urethane was a new product and was not as durable as today's bumpers - with age they tear and crack easily. Get professional advice.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:11 AM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts

You may want to post this in the body and paint section. There is a member, DUB that frequents there and has a body shop. Very knowledgeable, you could also PM him.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:29 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Martin, take a drive over the Kennedy Memorial bridge to 123 E Maple St (Jeffersonville) and talk to Ernie at Wilcox Corvette.

Great folks to deal with and Ernie will help you diagnose the best solution to your problem and likely recommend a reliable place to have it done. Heck, you'll probably see something at their shop you just can't live without so it will be a win, win for both of you.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 06-27-2017, 09:42 PM
Martin Reimer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback and tips.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice Bumper Repair

Quick Reply: Advice Bumper Repair