Sponsored by:

Ideal exhaust system with sidepipes for '72 BB

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 02:20 PM
PeterGTLM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideal exhaust system with sidepipes for '72 BB

Hi All. Im new here and i have just bought a numbers matching '72 Big Block beauty with manual trans, factory AC, Power stearing... from 76 years old grandpa.

only thing i would like to upgrade (because od budget and lack od time) are side pipes because it looks gr8 to me and it would add also HP.

I would like to use the car on daly basis and also on longer jurneys.

So i want:
respectful sound but not anoying on long trips
good looking with cowers
Adding HP

My budget is $1800

What should i go for? Dougs, hookers, obx, maximizer, ...?

Thank you for help
Peter
Old 07-17-2017, 12:56 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

"Not annoying on long trips" stick with an under car exhaust system 2 1/2" with suitable mufflers.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:05 PM
Knerf
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

i have dougs and fit and finish were great, i have max flow inserts so its fairly loud but you can get quieter ones if you want, they will probably still be louder than what you have now though.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 PM
PeterGTLM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been surching a bit and wanted to go for OBX because of price. On the other hand ive found that OBX primary is 1 7/8" and Dougs are 2 1/8" (so do Hookers) and as I have understood there will be beter performance with bigger primary pipes. Correct?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:19 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Peter, you are not going to add horsepower with sidepipes unless you make the system really loud. Hooker type headers have way too long primaries and way to big collectors for your engine. A well designed under chassis header and mandrel bent undercar system with a straight through muffler will beat a sidepipe set up all day long, especially if you want the sidepipes quiet. I agree with above, that a nice 2.5 inch system is all you need. It will be quieter, sound great and make more horsepower. I have run both configurations on a 600+ horsepower engine in my car, including dyno tests so I have seen the results I am reporting here.

Bill

Last edited by 69ttop502; 07-17-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:51 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Peter, you are not going to add horsepower with sidepipes unless you make the system really loud. Hooker type headers have way too long primaries and way to big collectors for your engine. A well designed under chassis header and mandrel bent undercar system with a straight through muffler will beat a sidepipe set up all day long, especially if you want the sidepipes quiet. I agree with above, that a nice 2.5 inch system is all you need. It will be quieter, sound great and make more horsepower. I have run both configurations on a 600+ horsepower engine in my car, including dyno tests so I have seen the results I am reporting here.

Bill
I have the Hookers on my 68, I'm in the midst of upgrade from L71 to 460 stroker and considering going to under car. Can you post Dyno numbers for side pipe vs under car? tia
Old 07-18-2017, 07:13 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Of course its true in most cases header side pipes will not add hp the way a correctly designed for the application under car system will, yawn,
But,
I am not a race car needing every extra hp, my 454 does fine,
For me on a corvette especially the 68 to 73 the racy old school look of the side pipes are a must,
They are loud, without care or precautions they can burn you, but for me the look they add is worth it and then some,
Old 01-21-2018, 10:30 PM
pthor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Of course its true in most cases header side pipes will not add hp the way a correctly designed for the application under car system will, yawn,
But,
I am not a race car needing every extra hp, my 454 does fine,
For me on a corvette especially the 68 to 73 the racy old school look of the side pipes are a must,
They are loud, without care or precautions they can burn you, but for me the look they add is worth it and then some,
Was wondering, what inserts you use with your sidemounts? I have the Hookers and the only inserts I've found are nowhere near large enough in diameter ~ I'm looking at 1.75 when I need closer to 3-inch to keep from robbing my power...
If I can't find larger insert, I will have to pay for something custom which I want to avoid...

Get notified of new replies

To Ideal exhaust system with sidepipes for '72 BB

Quick Reply: Ideal exhaust system with sidepipes for '72 BB