C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Post - Just Bought My First Corvette - 1978!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:24 AM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default First Post - Just Bought My First Corvette - 1978!

Hey everyone, I just bought my first C3 Corvette. It's my first ever Corvette and I'm excited. It's a project but that's what I wanted. I've restored a '68 Camaro that needed much more.

I bought it from a performance center in Delaware who pulled the motor, did a valve job, inspected the entire motor, put in a new clutch, brakes, brake lines and master cylinder. It's a numbers matching car.

It needs an interior (the interior is there but it's trash) and paint and an exhaust system.

It runs and drives beautifully.

It's a silver anniversary car and I'm really pumped!

The first thing I'm going to do is the exhaust because I want to register the car.

The guy at the performance shop said to leave the cast exhaust manifolds and don't get headers because it will be too hot to drive. Is that true?

This car doesn't have AC so if he's right it may be unbearable.

I was thinking of ceramic coated headers. When the interior is out I was going to add heat shielding and sound proofing. Does anyone think that would be good enough to keep it from being like an oven in the cockpit?
Attached Images     
Old 07-19-2017, 02:05 PM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

NICE. I think ceramic headers and heat shielding is what everyone does and it works quite well. I have a big block and no heat shield and regular headers and my feet get a little warm if I go on a very long trip. Which I haven't done much anymore.
Takings those t tops off will get you quite a bit of air circulation.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

That's what I was hoping to hear. I have to replace the entire exhaust system, so I want to start with a good set of headers.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:42 PM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

First thing I see is an L82 badge on the hood and an L48 looking engine under it. What did they tell you it was. Fifth number of the VIN should be a 4 for an L82 car.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:47 PM
jlpskydive
Instructor

This is what a completely stock unrestored L82 from 78 engine bay looks like
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2017, 02:48 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlpskydive
First thing I see is an L82 badge on the hood and an L48 looking engine under it. What did they tell you it was. Fifth number of the VIN should be a 4 for an L82 car.
He didn't say either way. He owns a performance shop and went through the motor. No claims of an L82. I checked the VIN and it is in fact an L48.

That's ok, I'm happy to have a numbers matching car with a 4 speed. I think the hood was changed. It appears to be in a different state of disrepair from the rest of the car.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:55 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Welcome to the Forum and congrats. Insulate the interior from the underside of the windshield to the gas tank wall to reduce noise and heat....you will make it very comfortable while driving in the summer. I even used waterproof HVAC wrap to insulate the inner door skins against noise and heat.

Make sure to do any under dash work and gauge repair while you have the interior removed.

And have fun with the car!
The following users liked this post:
Norcoastal (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 02:55 PM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Originally Posted by Norcoastal
He didn't say either way. He owns a performance shop and went through the motor. No claims of an L82. I checked the VIN and it is in fact an L48.

That's ok, I'm happy to have a numbers matching car with a 4 speed. I think the hood was changed. It appears to be in a different state of disrepair from the rest of the car.
Cool just checking that they didn't try and pass it off as something. Looks like a great starting point for a project and I'm pretty partial to 78 SAE's as well. Wish mine had a 4 speed though.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:05 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Nice & a 4spd to boot.

There were not many 4spd L48s made. The transmission is a Muncie if original (2.85 low) and not a Borg Warner like on the L82.

DU in the top left of the emission sticker on the firewall means the compartment was destined to have a L48 in there. Which you say you have.

No AC. Mine came without from the factory also and it does get warm in there. I just installed long tube headers so the degrees went up a few notches but more power. Check out corvette central for their dual exhaust set up. Assuming you dont have to worry about emissions.

Have fun!
Norcoastal (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlpskydive
Cool just checking that they didn't try and pass it off as something. Looks like a great starting point for a project and I'm pretty partial to 78 SAE's as well. Wish mine had a 4 speed though.
I'm really excited. It's a great start.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:17 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Originally Posted by karol
Nice & a 4spd to boot.

There were not many 4spd L48s made. The transmission is a Muncie if original (2.85 low) and not a Borg Warner like on the L82.

DU in the top left of the emission sticker on the firewall means the compartment was destined to have a L48 in there. Which you say you have.

No AC. Mine came without from the factory also and it does get warm in there. I just installed long tube headers so the degrees went up a few notches but more power. Check out corvette central for their dual exhaust set up. Assuming you dont have to worry about emissions.

Have fun!
I think I do have to worry about emissions.

My plan was ceramic coated headers to a cat and x-pipe to a quality muffler like Magna Flow. Also want as big of a pipe that I can find.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:26 PM
pbigpig
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on your first C3 purchase!!
Norcoastal (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 05:55 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have Stainless Work stainless, uncoated headers into 2-1/2 mandrel bent stainless exhaust pipes on my 77, and there is zero heat in the car. And realize that the left header is about three inches from my gas pedal foot. So, here is how I think my car avoids these supposed heat issues:

- Sprayed Lizard Skin on inside of entire floor and firewall
- Factory Style firewall insulation blanket
- Lowes Reflectix on inside of entire floor over the Lizard skin
- Installed foam collar on top of bell housing as was done at factory.
- Hood seal as factory (keeps engine heat out of cowl and into pillar vents)
- My engine compartment is not cluttered up with airconditioning pumps, air Pumps, or any other unnecessary heat retaining garbage. I have a Dewitts aluminum radiator with stock cooling fan. I believe I have great airflow through the engine compartment because of the above and this is really helpful in heat transfer.
- Obviously lower A-pillar vents and eyeball vents fully open.

I am not joking, I can drive the car in 93 degree summer PA heat, and I can not feel engine compartment or header heat inside the car. The factory four speed shifter doesn't even get hot.

This story that a C3 Corvette is hot inside is something that can be fixed with the above steps.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 07-19-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

Welcome to the CF and congrats
Old 07-19-2017, 06:09 PM
sparky77
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks like a great project started on my 77 about 3 months ago it has been fun so far.You will get a lot of help here.You have a good start with having a fresh engine .
Old 07-19-2017, 06:09 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I have Stainless Work stainless, uncoated headers into 2-1/2 mandrel bent stainless exhaust pipes on my 77, and there is zero heat in the car. And realize that the left header is about three inches from my gas pedal foot. So, here is how I think my car avoids these supposed heat issues:

- Sprayed Lizard Skin on inside of entire floor and firewall
- Factory Style firewall insulation blanket
- Lowes Reflectix on inside of entire floor over the Lizard skin
- Installed foam collar on top of bell housing as was done at factory.
- Hood seal as factory (keeps engine heat out of cowl and into pillar vents)
- My engine compartment is not cluttered up with airconditioning pumps, air Pumps, or any other unnecessary heat retaining garbage. I have a Dewitts aluminum radiator with stock cooling fan. I believe I have great airflow through the engine compartment because of the above and this is really helpful in heat transfer.
- Obviously lower A-pillar vents and eyeball vents fully open.

I am not joking, I can drive the car in 93 degree summer PA heat, and I can not feel engine compartment or header heat inside the car. The factory four speed shifter doesn't even get hot.

This story that a C3 Corvette is hot inside is something that can be fixed with the above steps.
That is great information. Since I'm pulling out the entire interior, I can easily add what your suggesting.

I never heard of a foam collar for the for the bell housing? Was that a corvette only product?
Old 07-19-2017, 06:16 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

I found a foam heat shield for the bell housing for 18.00

Last edited by Norcoastal; 07-19-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To First Post - Just Bought My First Corvette - 1978!

Old 07-19-2017, 06:17 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Can anyone recommend a good set of ceramic coated headers that easily fit my '78 with a 4 speed?
Old 07-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Ben N
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats on your new addition, and welcome to the CF!

Ben
Old 07-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

One additional thing I forgot to mention about keeping heat out of the cabin, I don't have heater hoses hooked up, so no engine coolant is making its way into the heater core sitting right in front of the passenger seat. I have no need for heat, as I don't drive the car in the winter.

Quick Reply: First Post - Just Bought My First Corvette - 1978!