Sponsored by:

block decked/#'s matching gone/remorse

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:28 PM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 867 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiger Joe
The numbers could have been saved. Just would have required the shop to stop the machine before it hit the numbers. Unfortunate.

My Machine shop stopped short of the pad.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:28 AM
raven1708
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
Is it a done deal? If not, seriously, find another shop. No doubt in my mind that it can be decked and the numbers can be saved. I would also get a 2nd opinion to determine if it needs to be decked at all.

Your car is special BTW.

If you look at the picture from my recent post with my 69 427/390. I purchased it with frame and engine rebuilt. The engine was decked and you can see they stopped it right before the vin pad. It is possible to be done.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:05 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

He HAS documentation I cant believe how some are telling him his car is now a turd, unreal. Its the original thats all that matters & he can prove it. If he did a perfect restamp guys would still complain Paint over it & drive it.

Last edited by cv67; 07-23-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:55 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
Is it a done deal? If not, seriously, find another shop. No doubt in my mind that it can be decked and the numbers can be saved.
Originally Posted by Tiger Joe
The numbers could have been saved. Just would have required the shop to stop the machine before it hit the numbers. Unfortunate.
Seems doubtful that it could be done but I'm just guessing based on what I see in the picture of the top of the block. Given how close the head gasket impression is to the numbers I would think it would be very difficult/hit and miss to stop the machine after the head gasket surface and before the numbers.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:40 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

It can be done with a CNC machine (google QMP racing they do a lot of vette engines and know the importance)
Lots of older machines make a complete pass over the deck, tough to stop it right there, can leave a low spot on the deck plenty out there that can though

Most charge a setup fee to do so, not many want to pay for it & forgo it all together; other shops may have a $10 hr guy running the machine who just doesnt care.

Last edited by cv67; 07-23-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:44 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
He HAS documentation I cant believe how some are telling him his car is now a turd, unreal. Its the original thats all that matters & he can prove it. If he did a perfect restamp guys would still complain Paint over it & drive it.
Unfortunately it seems the corvette hobby for some has degenerated into a competition of what's it worth. Some seem to become almost giddy when an opportunity arises to inform another their car is worth far less than theirs, especially when the numbers don't match or are missing. An elitist crowd. If this is the crowd one wishes to hang with, better make sure the numbers match and you have documentation to back it up.

I do acknowledge the lack of visible numbers, even with photos of the original numbers will lower the future resale value. If value is the most important attribute, better not drive it, preserve it as in a museum. Otherwise accept it won't get top dollar, enjoy driving the car. Most of the general public doesn't care about numbers. It's mainly an investor concern.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:27 PM
KingRat
Drifting

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I disagree. I never said the car is a Turd but the original stamp pad does separate real cars from fake cars. I, and many of the people I know, can tell a restamp easily. Real stamps "scream at you". I only buy cars - especially big blocks- with original stamps. Documentation is great but an original stamp removes all doubt to the originality of the engine.

Its kind of like cleaning the face of the Mona Lisa with Turpentine then painting it back on. Ok, it has a face, but not the one da Vinci painted.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Tiger Joe
Drifting

Received 518 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
Seems doubtful that it could be done but I'm just guessing based on what I see in the picture of the top of the block. Given how close the head gasket impression is to the numbers I would think it would be very difficult/hit and miss to stop the machine after the head gasket surface and before the numbers.
I admit that stamping is close to the head, but I'd bet it could still be done. it's really not that hard. Like said it can be done with a CNC or even on an old school machine it would have required the machine shop to manually deck that side instead of setting the machine to "auto".

Even if they had nicked the top of the letters, it would have saved the VIN entirely.

I have an L89 block at a machine shop right now and the first thing I said to him was "I cant lose these numbers otherwise it's just like every other 427". His response? "No problem"
Old 07-23-2017, 08:06 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Wrong

Originally Posted by KingRat
I disagree. I never said the car is a Turd but the original stamp pad does separate real cars from fake cars. I, and many of the people I know, can tell a restamp easily. Real stamps "scream at you". I only buy cars - especially big blocks- with original stamps. Documentation is great but an original stamp removes all doubt to the originality of the engine.

Its kind of like cleaning the face of the Mona Lisa with Turpentine then painting it back on. Ok, it has a face, but not the one da Vinci painted.
King Rat, I guess you can't face reality. This guys engine is original, with or without the stamp, and you suggesting its not or that its a fake car, is insulting to him. That is the problem with this ridiculous judgemental and silly obsession with number matching and originality. Truth doesn't matter, only what some person perceives truth to be based on their self righteous position. I am SO glad I don't have to deal with the people like this cause I certainly don't need their opinions about facts and the expectation that I would have to prove it to them....no, wouldn't waste my time and wouldn't be in a "hobby" that makes this a requirement. I will be out enjoying my life, driving my Corvette, while you all worry about proving something to somebody, all for the sake of money. Good luck, and see ya. Done with this thread.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 07-23-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:35 PM
KingRat
Drifting

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
King Rat, I guess you can't face reality. This guys engine is original, with or without the stamp, and you suggesting its not or that its a fake car, is insulting to him. That is the problem with this ridiculous judgemental and silly obsession with number matching and originality. Truth doesn't matter, only what some person perceives truth to be based on their self righteous position. I am SO glad I don't have to deal with the people like this cause I certainly don't need their opinions about facts and the expectation that I would have to prove it to them....no, wouldn't waste my time and wouldn't be in a "hobby" that makes this a requirement. I will be out enjoying my life, driving my Corvette, while you all worry about proving something to somebody, all for the sake of money. Good luck, and see ya. Done with this thread.

Wow. You don't know the first thing about me. And I find what you said plenty insulting. First, I never insulted anyone, the OP stated: "Your opinions are requested". Second I was responding to the question of restamped engines and the importance of preserving the original stamp. Third I do face reality. A car with its original stamp is worth more than a restamp. I have had engines rebuilt without decking the stamp pad. Whether you care about numbers matching original engines or not does not matter to me. There are plenty of people who do care about having an original engine- with its original stamp. Do I really care what people do with their cars? No, keep decking them. Mine will be worth more.
The following users liked this post:
ed427vette (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
Originally Posted by KingRat
Wow. You don't know the first thing about me. And I find what you said plenty insulting. First, I never insulted anyone, the OP stated: "Your opinions are requested". Second I was responding to the question of restamped engines and the importance of preserving the original stamp. Third I do face reality. A car with its original stamp is worth more than a restamp. I have had engines rebuilt without decking the stamp pad. Whether you care about numbers matching original engines or not does not matter to me. There are plenty of people who do care about having an original engine- with its original stamp. Do I really care what people do with their cars? No, keep decking them. Mine will be worth more.
Got it
Old 07-23-2017, 10:46 PM
Dale427
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your engine builder is a hack. He has no business rebuilding collectible cars if he doesn't know that the original stamp can and should be preserved. Was the deck warped? Did he even check? If the block was overall solid then it is likely it didn't even need to be decked - there is a lot that can be done with the head to compensate for the block without decking it at all - he should have given you options. If it absolutely needed to be decked a competent shop could have programmed their machine to stop milling short of the pad. I know of a hi-end restorer who fabricates custom steel plates to fasten atop the stamp pad so that his machinist can't accidentally obliterate the numbers.

Even if you restamp it you will have to mill the block to get the correct broach marks - is there enough material left? And to get someone who can do a factory authentic stamp is pricey indeed and, if you care to certify the car, expert judges will likely still be able to tell (they will even know who stamped it).

For those who say the original stamp doesn't matter, OP clearly values having an original stamp otherwise he wouldn't have asked the question. While there is no doubt the car came with a big block, without that stamp, there is NO WAY to say that the block is in fact its born with block, no matter what photo evidence was taken prior as it is possible to find a correctly dated block and stamp it to match.
KingRat (07-23-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 07:10 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by sshort67
...The 69 is nothing very special...
Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard a 69 owner make that statement.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:01 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Open the window out goes corvette ownership kinship and camaraderie,
Guys we all dig the same car, no need for some to act like elitist tacos to others,

69 nothing special?!
My 69 is likely the rattiest one here but its special to me, so would any corvette i owned be to me,
i am the red headed bastard stepchild of chrome bumper owners, i dont find any year more special than another,
And to the disgust of some of you i love modifacations, and for more disgust i am modding my 69, yeah, i know hell will have a special chair for me,

I am not into investment or stock, but to me the only orginal corvettes are survivors restored cars are not as they left the factory, sure they might have correct parts but to me they are false,

But i do respect the guys that this stuff i dont care about matters to,

In that when an engine is rebuilt its not orginal, if a shop took that special number off why care, oh yeah, because to a little group it made it worth more,
Restamping a block isnt poser?

Oops too late, believe me op, i feel for you, i have things i am ocd about that mean something to me, but yeah, walking the fence really wont work, either stop driving your car or drive the hell out of it, whatever makes you happy but try to get past the block number, its gone, damage if you call it that done,
I guess if you can shake ut off sell the car at a loss and buy one with a correct block stamp,

Hey, i am jealous as all hell of your car, i would love a fresh rebuilt '27
Torqued Off (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:57 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

when comparing 2 identical condition cars, one original motor and one not and everything else is apples to apples, it is a given fact that one car will sell for more.. ballpark figure around 20% more.

some would care, others do not care. I myself would buy the cheaper car. as long as you buy into the market at the correct price, none of any of this debate matters.

each car will probably appreciate in the same upward curve.

The issue here is that the OP has taken a hit on his resale price of his car after purchasing it for a higher original engine price.

of course if he can sell it with his statements and photos and rubbings, then great. but it will be a car marketed as an original engine car and he will try to price it accordingly, and it will be a car with an excuse. as it is sold down the line to other owners the story will become more nebulous.

the diehard buyers will not pay 20% above NOM money for this car.

yes the op's best bet is what many have advised. enjoy your car. you will take a hit at selling time, but maximize your enjoyment and when it it time to let it go, get what you can out of it.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:46 AM
D_Williams
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
elitist tacos
I'm stealing this
Old 07-24-2017, 11:02 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

[QUOTE=Dale427;1595206552]Your engine builder is a hack. He has no business rebuilding collectible cars if he doesn't know that the original stamp can and should be preserved. Was the deck warped? Did he even check? If the block was overall solid then it is likely it didn't even need to be decked - there is a lot that can be done with the head to compensate for the block without decking it at all - he should have given you options. If it absolutely needed to be decked a competent shop could have programmed their machine to stop milling short of the pad. I know of a hi-end restorer who fabricates custom steel plates to fasten atop the stamp pad so that his machinist can't accidentally obliterate the numbers.

Even if you restamp it you will have to mill the block to get the correct broach marks - is there enough material left? And to get someone who can do a factory authentic stamp is pricey indeed and, if you care to certify the car, expert judges will likely still be able to tell (they will even know who stamped it).

You are 10% correct. There is NO reason to deck a block that has not been cracked & welded. The machine shop was just being lazy. If your rebuilder says they need to deck your original block run.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:42 PM
sshort67
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 69/427-390 hp update

Steve, OP here with new information. Over the weekend reading the many great opinions and facts I was able to cancel the decking that was scheduled for today or Tuesday. I will continue to use the machine shop for the rebuild without decking the block knowing that if there should be an issue develop related to the head/block interface I can not hold the shop responsible. As some have stated, decking may be an insurance for the builder that the owner pays for. Some of the issues that caused me to rebuild appear to be related to apparently the car sat for some time in a non climate controlled environment.

I appreciate all the shared information and ideas. This has caused me to loose sleep, I do like original Corvettes (61 with original 283/315 hp fuel injection and 64 coupe original 327/300 hp) and do drive and enjoy them. I am an NCRS member and will have the 61 judged in the future. The other two are for having another type of fun. The 69 will be enjoyed with multi-thousand mile trips, the first being a route 66 tour split in two, Missouri to Chicago this fall and home to the Pacific next year.

If you want some specifics post or PM me. This forum is an incredible source. Steve
Attached Images   
Old 07-24-2017, 06:18 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by sshort67
Steve, OP here with new information. Over the weekend reading the many great opinions and facts I was able to cancel the decking that was scheduled for today or Tuesday.
2 pages of bickering and we still weren't sure if it was already decked or not.

Good for you that the opinions posted here allowed you to save it from irreversible damage.

This is a great place to stop.
The following 2 users liked this post by vettebuyer6369:
20mercury (07-25-2017), 7t2vette (07-25-2017)

Quick Reply: block decked/#'s matching gone/remorse