Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjustable rear strut bar....necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:25 PM
clifish
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default adjustable rear strut bar....necessary?

I have a 81 that really has had little done to it in the 18 years I have had it. Stored on a lift and occasionally driven. Zero frame rust, and in decent shape. This fall I plan to go through the suspension, for the rear strut rods can I get away with just replacing the bushings or should I get the adjustable rear strut? This a not a hard riven car....but want to not totally cheap out. Any recommendations for front and rear suspensions welcomed.

thx Cliff
Old 09-16-2017, 11:59 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Rebuilding to stock isnt cheaping out,

99% of c3 owners do not need anything more than stock suspension in good condition,

While the adjustment cam for stock struts leave something to be desired and many do like to upgrade, if you do be sure to get good ones,

I went all the way with ball ends,

But a heck of a lot of c3s and c2s do just fine with stock struts....
The following users liked this post:
clifish (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 07:06 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I think most would agree that the stock struts are structurally as strong as they need to be. The problem is more in the method of adjustment with the stock eccentric system, which can loosen and allow camber changes. With the adjustable systems available, that problem goes away. And if you go all the way to the Heim / ball end type end fittings, there is no rubber or poly to give and this holds the camber of the rear tires even more.
clifish (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 10:13 AM
clifish
Advanced

OK...thanks, for $100 bucks I will go with the ones from zip...heim joint is way overkill. Did the rear snubber bushing yesterday on the front of the diff...what a PIA, finally had to remove the back of the drive shaft to do it. Directions from Wilcox make this sound so easy.....
Old 09-17-2017, 10:18 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by clifish
OK...thanks, for $100 bucks I will go with the ones from zip...heim joint is way overkill. Did the rear snubber bushing yesterday on the front of the diff...what a PIA, finally had to remove the back of the drive shaft to do it. Directions from Wilcox make this sound so easy.....
I used the adjustable ones in my 80. Easier to align the wheels.

I am right by you in Commack. What shows do you go to?
clifish (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 10:31 AM
clifish
Advanced

Originally Posted by 540 vette
I used the adjustable ones in my 80. Easier to align the wheels.

I am right by you in Commack. What shows do you go to?
I have to say I never have been to any shows...in the 18 years of ownership. I am probably the only person who went out and bought a corvette 6 months after my first child was born, so kids growing up took first responsibility. Now 6 month old son is sophomore in college, daughter sophomore in HS. I bought a TR6 last year and have been through the whole thing. Was initially going to sell the vette but after driving it I am liking it more than I thought (only put maybe 3000 miles on it in the last 18 years) I am going to start going through it now.

Would like to hit some shows now that I have time, let me know if you here of any around?

thx Cliff

Get notified of new replies

To adjustable rear strut bar....necessary?

Quick Reply: adjustable rear strut bar....necessary?