Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat back release inoperable on '74.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 05:57 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Seat back release inoperable on '74.

The driver's seat back release button on my '74 doesn't work. It can be pushed in easily, but the seat back doesn't release. Is there anything that I can do to by-pass this button? I can't get at the small screws that hold the fiberglass shell onto the back of the seat, I can't remove the seat due to a rusted nut on the left rear bolt holding the seat to the floor. Can't get to the two bolts that hold the release strap in place. Seat's pretty much stuck in place and the back won't release so that I can gain better access to the bolt holding the seat to the floor. I could go in there with pry bars and hammers, just bust everything up and try to repair it all later, that's my usual solution for frustrating things like this, but if there's another way, I'm listening. Caught between bad and worse. Need some help if there is any. Thank you—

Last edited by Team Evil; 10-01-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:08 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Not sure if it's the same but I thought when I put carpet in my 77 all my seat bolts went from top down. I undid the fronts, slid the seat forward in the tracks then removed the rears. As far as removing the back cover can't you just slide the seat forward to access the screws?
Old 10-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Team Evil
Racer

The hold down bolts DO all go down from the top except only three of them go into open threaded holes, the fourth (left rear on the driver's side) has a nut on it rather than going into a simple threaded hole, or at least on my '74. This bolt comes through at a far corner of a small pocket under the car, the exposed nut and end threads of the bolt are all rusted up and impossible to get at or get off. I was hoping that, if I could get the seat back to release, I might be able to get at the bolts that hold the release strap to the lower seat assembly. If I could tip the seat back far enough forward, I could then trim away the carpet and unbolt the seat from the lower frame, removing the seat back entirely. In doing this, I could then gain clear access to the lower seat sliders and the troublesome bolt. I was hoping that with this increased access I might be able to get a Dremel in there and cut the bolt head off, or possible get a drill in there and begin drilling bigger and bigger holes into the bolt head until it comes off.

That's what I'm thinking when I'm not thinking of just going in there with a Sawz-All and cutting everything loose from everything elkse and just buying a good used seat later on . . .
Old 10-01-2017, 06:38 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Ok, so you can't slide the seat forward in the tracks or release the seat back to tip forward. Yea, I get your issue now. If once you get it sorted out and you find what's broken on the release I might be able to help you out. I have a extra set of seat frames and the release mechanism is still on them.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Thanks ! It looks like I'm going to have to sacrifice the fiberglass seat back. Getting this out of the way will gain me access to the release mechanism from the inside and also make a little more room to get at the two bolts holding the strap in place. If I can sacrifice the seat back in a somewhat surgical manner, I can always graft the pieces back together again. Shouldn't be a problem at all. I'll get to this in a couple of days, today was too frustrating for a rapid repeat.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:31 AM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Take the seat out of the car. You say there is one bolt rusted left? Use a grinder or punch and hammer from underneath and cut it off. 3 of my 4 were rusted and althought it took some time a bolt is easier to replace than a seat.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:33 AM
Team Evil
Racer

Yeah! Finessed the fiberglass seat back off of the driver's seat, now I have better access to the two bolts holding the release strap in place. Take those out and the seat back will tip forward and hopefully gain me the necessary room to work the last seat bolt out. Maybe. Another of those "Why?" Corvette questions, why the Hell does the bracket holding the release strap in place have nearly TWO INCH long bolts holding it to the seat bottom? I'm having to work with a tiny open end wrench giving me a two facet turn each time at best. An hour already at it and only one of the bolts is about half way out ! Good thing that I'm usually drunk when I work on this car or I'd be pretty crazy by now.

Last edited by Team Evil; 10-02-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:12 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Check this out where your the back of the seat meets the bottom. There are some threaded stops with rubber cushions on them make sure they aren't hooked on each other keeping the seat from unlocking.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:48 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 311 Posts

If the nut on that left rear bolt isn't rounded off, but just rusted raise the car up enough so you can get to the nut up in that little access hole in the frame with PB Blaster and soak it. Then use a deep end box wrench to hold the nut ( it will fit because that's why I use on my 73 to get to that particular bolt) have a friend up top with the socket ratchet with the extension on it to get some leverage and hopefully it will come loose or break. If the head breaks off just use a puch to drive the rest down thru the floor and replace with a new bolt...
Good luck! Hope this helps!
Tooch
Old 10-03-2017, 10:06 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by croaker
Check this out where your the back of the seat meets the bottom. There are some threaded stops with rubber cushions on them make sure they aren't hooked on each other keeping the seat from unlocking.

Happened to me. Not easy to get them unhooked either.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:38 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by karol

Happened to me. Not easy to get them unhooked either.
I just thought I built my garage on a old burial ground or something
Old 10-03-2017, 04:10 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Minor success ! Finally got the two longish bolts out of the seat recline stop bracket, then found out that the snubs or whatever they're called on the seat back had somehow broken apart and managed to grab onto the aluminum stops on the seat bottom, had to pry those apart, but . . . the sear finally tips forward exposing a whole lot of real estate for me to get a ratchet on the top bolt and something else on the nut beneath and get the driver's seat out for repair and refurbish ! !

Still have a broken seat release button/mechanism that I have to somehow fix or replace, and now I need new bumpers snubs for the seat back if I can find a good source, but I consider this a victory—
Old 10-03-2017, 04:34 PM
henrikse
Pro

All it takes is patience AHHHHJJJH||||| I have learned to stop and take a break when my car pisses me off. Love when things go smooth!
Old 10-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Would anyone know where is the best place to pick up a pair of those rubber seat snubbers that screw into the seat back at the bottom? Like to pick up a pair that will last rather than disintegrate in a few months. Thanks—
Old 10-03-2017, 04:47 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Evil
Would anyone know where is the best place to pick up a pair of those rubber seat snubbers that screw into the seat back at the bottom? Like to pick up a pair that will last rather than disintegrate in a few months. Thanks—
All the major vendors have most of the seatback hardware. These are from Corvette Central
Tooch
Attached Images   
Old 10-03-2017, 05:01 PM
Team Evil
Racer

As always, manufacturers search engines are very specific or wildly vague. What are those things REALLY called. Need to get a pair but don't know what to ask for. Thanks—
Old 10-03-2017, 11:45 PM
henrikse
Pro

CORVETTE SEAT BACK BUMPER STOP - UPPER RUBBER WITH SCREW - 4 REQUIRED
Item#:483214
GM#:400765, 400765
Price:3.95
Pkg:EACH
Year:1970-1978
Corvette Central
Old 10-04-2017, 10:26 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

The rubber parts are pretty thin on the replacements. Remember this next time you push back in the seat and hear a little pop.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat back release inoperable on '74.

Quick Reply: Seat back release inoperable on '74.