Sponsored by:

Heater motor, new vs. old

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 04:07 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Heater motor, new vs. old

I went to install my new Blower motor today. I also bought a new cage. When the original cage spun, just the internal shaft turned within the outside windings. The new motor is assembled differently. The whole winding assembly spins on the new one. Seems like a lot of mass turning. We'll have to see how quiet it is. Anyone have experience with these new motors? It's made by VDO which is somewhat well known but assembled in China.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:10 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Ok, just finished. No complaints, sounds like a fan, 3 speeds now, had nothing before.
The following 2 users liked this post by TWINRAY:
LuckySeventySeven (10-03-2017), Rescue Rogers (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 08:18 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

adding a good ground wire, can help to gain a little rpm.
The following users liked this post:
LuckySeventySeven (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 09:27 PM
LuckySeventySeven
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
I went to install my new Blower motor today. I also bought a new cage. When the original cage spun, just the internal shaft turned within the outside windings. The new motor is assembled differently. The whole winding assembly spins on the new one. Seems like a lot of mass turning. We'll have to see how quiet it is. Anyone have experience with these new motors? It's made by VDO which is somewhat well known but assembled in China.
My 77 barely blows any air at all. Waiting a few weeks to buy all sorts of literature about my year model so I can get an idea about the wiring, vacuum lines, etc. From the assembly manual etc.

May try just taking the blower apart, cleaning everything up, making sure all the connections are good, tighten the ground. If all else fails, new motor as well.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:19 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckySeventySeven
My 77 barely blows any air at all. Waiting a few weeks to buy all sorts of literature about my year model so I can get an idea about the wiring, vacuum lines, etc. From the assembly manual etc.

May try just taking the blower apart, cleaning everything up, making sure all the connections are good, tighten the ground. If all else fails, new motor as well.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...w-from-ac.html
Old 10-16-2017, 08:35 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LuckySeventySeven

Really not a heck of a lot to clean up inside. My cage probably would have been ok but it looked cruddy. The inside would be a nice residence for mice. Note, if you have ac, the cage has to come off first upon removal. The complete unit cannot fit between the inner fender and the (big) hard ac line.

Last edited by TWINRAY; 10-16-2017 at 08:37 PM. Reason: residence not resident
Old 10-17-2017, 10:29 PM
LuckySeventySeven
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
Really not a heck of a lot to clean up inside. My cage probably would have been ok but it looked cruddy. The inside would be a nice residence for mice. Note, if you have ac, the cage has to come off first upon removal. The complete unit cannot fit between the inner fender and the (big) hard ac line.
Thanks for the input. I have looked in there and it is a tight fit for sure. Not surprised at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Heater motor, new vs. old

Quick Reply: Heater motor, new vs. old