New to this forum - searching for a C3

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Lagonia
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New to this forum - searching for a C3

Hello,

I am a car guy (more like a car hoarder) and have a private shop with two lifts in the back of my house (I live out in the country). I have 5 Jaguars (63 Mk 10, 77 XJ12L, 85 Sovereign, 86 VDP, 04 XJR), two Cadillacs (73 Deville, 77 Eldorado), two Mercedes (84 500 SEL Euro and 87 560 SEL) and an 06 Pontiac Solstice. Plus a 77 Dodge Van, 93 and 94 Chevy truck, 98 Suburban. My wife drives the new 07 GMC Sierra Denali but she won't get rid of her 02 Ford Sportrac.

I am very good with a wrench. Most of my weekends are spent in the shop. I have always liked C3 Corvettes purely on the basis or their curves but never really bad enough to where I had to have one. But now, it looks like the time has come to get one. So I have a budget of $15K to spend on the lesser desirable C3 coupe (underpowered) 74 - 77. I figured more bang for the money. I love the way they look but I don't really care for horse power. I would like a nice looking driver that I can take out and enjoy on weekends that is NOT a project. I have had way too many of them projects. I do not mind doing little things obviously but for $15K I do not want the car to start its life on the lift going through all kinds of refurbishment. There are some really nice ones out there for about $15K but, I will admit, I do not know squat on what to look for in a Corvette.

I have already started my search online and decided it would be a good time to join this forum and have folks bounce ideas to me.

Thank you
Old 10-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,306 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moving this to C3 General for some advice on buying a C3.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:21 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Welcome to the forum! If you haven't already - read this thread at the top of this forum section:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Corvettes can have some 'hidden' rust issues that you need to look out for. Even cars in the $20-$30K range can easily have hidden frame/birdcage rust that will put the car on the lift real fast! (and drain your wallet even faster). Other than that, it sounds like you know all about 'old' cars and the issues that will undoubtedly come up.
The following users liked this post:
Lagonia (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 12:08 AM
Kevin68
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

While I've got mine in pieces and under a 'sort-of' lift (Quik-Jack), you can come by and see the points to look for. I'm just down 183 from you. Not claiming to be an expert like many of these guys, but I believe I've removed/cleaned/painted and replaced nearly half of everything from the factory and can tell you what I know. Might be helpful to see it up close. Windshield is out so you can see an example of a rust-free bird cage.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin68:
Chuckers dream (10-04-2017), Lagonia (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 07:55 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Welcome, I'd take advantage of Kevin68's offer.
Good luck!
Lagonia (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by tokim
Welcome, I'd take advantage of Kevin68's offer.
Good luck!
Very nice thing Kevin is offering. Great to have someone near willing to help out like this.
Lagonia (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 12:48 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Welcome to the forum, you do collect the cars! Check in the C3 "For Sale/Wanted" site for members selling their cars. You may find one there, good luck!

Last edited by RMVette; 10-04-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Lagonia (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Lagonia
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin68
While I've got mine in pieces and under a 'sort-of' lift (Quik-Jack), you can come by and see the points to look for. I'm just down 183 from you. Not claiming to be an expert like many of these guys, but I believe I've removed/cleaned/painted and replaced nearly half of everything from the factory and can tell you what I know. Might be helpful to see it up close. Windshield is out so you can see an example of a rust-free bird cage.
I'll take you up on your offer Kevin, thank you. I will PM you.

I have been also looking at the C3 For Sale/Wanted section. I would rather buy from a Corvette fan/nut than some unscrupulous dealer.

There seems to be quite a bit of inventory out there which is good for a potential buyer.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Chuckers dream
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lagonia

I have been looking at the C3s For Sale/Wanted section. I would rather buy from a Corvette fan/nut than some unscrupulous dealer.

There seems to be quite a bit of inventory out there which is good for a potential buyer.

I am in the same spot you are, in not having a Corvette and have been searching CL nationally. I seam to remember a few down your way. If ya lived up here there is a killer 71 red coup 454 for $18k with hidden gun safe I looked at but dont have the $$$$ I posted it in the for sale section of this forum because a true fan should drive that car away

Last edited by Chuckers dream; 10-04-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Kevin68
Drifting

I have been also looking at the C3 For Sale/Wanted section. I would rather buy from a Corvette fan/nut than some unscrupulous dealer.

E-mail sent.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:49 PM
Lagonia
Racer

E-mail sent.
Thanks Kevin, i'll see you soon!
Old 10-10-2017, 11:13 PM
Lagonia
Racer

Default Got it

I am not one to sit around and wait too long. My research showed quite a bit of inventory in the Dallas metro area. I made a top 3 list of the most gorgeous looking examples of C3 in the $15K range and spent the Saturday in Dallas metro area. One thing is for sure. Corvettes look good, PERIOD, in pictures - not so when you are up close and personal. I fully expected to be disappointed since the first 2 vettes were pretty much duds. They were shiny in the pictures and that was all.

The third Vette I was about to check actually looked the best in the pictures. Having gone through the first two in disappointment, I was not expecting much - I WAS WRONG!

It is in my driveway now. 1979 L82, 4 speed, pb, ps, pw, pl, rebuilt engine, awesome paint job, refreshed interior. It does have some issues but nothing that's scary

1. A/C needs attention
2. The reverse lights are always on.
3. The ignition key does not return to the lock position
4. The wipers did work when I tested the car but quit when I brought it home
5. Right headlight is "lazy" coming up.
6. e-brake needs adjustment

Old 10-11-2017, 09:46 AM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

For $15k, you can get a driver 70-72 no problem especially heading into the winter months. Despite what many on the forum think. There was a guy selling a white 70-72 (can't remember exactly what year) a little while back for $12.5k that wasn't a show winner but also was in pretty good shape based on pics. Took him a while to sell, and he ended up selling on eBay a few weeks/month ago.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:29 AM
Kevin68
Drifting

Looks great. Congratulations! Bring it by the house some time; I'd love to see it in person.

You can probably fix half of that stuff in a three beer afternoon. Sounds like (from your e-mail) that you can fix the AC. The wipers may take some effort to track down. For the key, I assume you know what the lever just forward of the key hole is for...
Old 10-11-2017, 11:35 AM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I am not one to sit around and wait too long. My research showed quite a bit of inventory in the Dallas metro area. I made a top 3 list of the most gorgeous looking examples of C3 in the $15K range and spent the Saturday in Dallas metro area. One thing is for sure. Corvettes look good, PERIOD, in pictures - not so when you are up close and personal. I fully expected to be disappointed since the first 2 vettes were pretty much duds. They were shiny in the pictures and that was all.

The third Vette I was about to check actually looked the best in the pictures. Having gone through the first two in disappointment, I was not expecting much - I WAS WRONG!

It is in my driveway now. 1979 L82, 4 speed, pb, ps, pw, pl, rebuilt engine, awesome paint job, refreshed interior. It does have some issues but nothing that's scary

1. A/C needs attention
2. The reverse lights are always on.
3. The ignition key does not return to the lock position
4. The wipers did work when I tested the car but quit when I brought it home
5. Right headlight is "lazy" coming up.
6. e-brake needs adjustment

All that stuff is fixable... your new ride looks nice! Probably #1 might be figuring out the gremlin on the reverse lights and e-brake since you have a manual. Rest of the list doesn't look too bad though.

Last edited by raydog9379; 10-11-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Lagonia
Racer

You can probably fix half of that stuff in a three beer afternoon. Sounds like (from your e-mail) that you can fix the AC. The wipers may take some effort to track down.
Once I get it legally on the road, I'll definitely pay you a visit and exchange notes...

For the key, I assume you know what the lever just forward of the key hole is for...
Lever? What lever? Oh... What tha..... what is that? Thank you! Yes, I know that much about these cars. One problem solved.

Originally Posted by raydog9379
All that stuff is fixable... your new ride looks nice! Probably #1 might be figuring out the gremlin on the reverse lights and e-brake since you have a manual. Rest of the list doesn't look too bad though.
A/C I am not worried about. I have the correct toolage for that (I have a recovery, recycling and recharging machine). It appears it has never been converted to R134 - it still has the R12 nipples - once I get the new line, flush and convert, I am hoping that should be it.

I jiggled the wires to the wiper motor and it started working - loose connector or dirty wire may be - time will tell - as long as it runs during inspection.

The reverse light and ebrake needs to be fixed before I can attempt to inspect it so that I can register it. I will put it on the lift the next couple of days.

Time to get insurance and the manuals - if you guys have a recommended source for the shop service and chassis assembly manuals, I am all ears.

One thing I did notice is a reverse lockout mechanism problem (manual tranny). Once I engage it to put it in reverse, I have a hell of a time getting it back to where the forward gears are accessible. I am hoping its a matter of adjustments on the tranny itself
Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Kevin68
Drifting

Lever? What lever? Oh... What tha..... what is that? Thank you! Yes, I know that much about these cars. One problem solved.

I don't think reverse light are an inspection item in Texas. I don't have any reverse lights at all on my 68 although I might put them on some day. No problem with inspection.

The parking brake has a cable running back to just in front of the differential. There is a turnbuckle on it to take up any slack/cable stretch. If the slack is all taken up and it still won't hold, loosen the turnbuckle and adjust the star wheel through the access hole on the rear rotor until you can't turn the drum, then back off 5 (IIRC) notches or about 1/2 a turn. The "drum" of the parking brake is the rotor hat. If you've ever worked on GM drum brakes, it is basically the same adjustment procedure, except you access the star from the outside - by lining up the hole in the rotor hat - rather than the backing plate. The service manual has this procedure. I suppose the cable pulley under the handle could be severely worn (it's plastic).

You can get the service manual and Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) from most of the vendors, Ecklers, Zip, Corvette America, Mid-America Motorworks, Willcox. You'll definitely want those.

And based on the steering lock issue, you might consider getting an owner's manual....
Old 10-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Lagonia
Racer

And based on the steering lock issue, you might consider getting an owner's manual....
Good one.

The back up lights are always on - bright white light from the rear while car is moving forward or at a standstill will not pass inspection - I am pretty sure. Either the safety switch or some wire got buggered.

My research shows that for 79 there isn't an assembly instruction manual. Let me know if I am wrong. There is a service manual, an electrical diagram booklet, a unit repair manual and something else which did not seem relevant. I ordered the service manual and the electrical diagram from fleebay. Need to go back and order the owner's manual now....
Old 10-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Kevin68
Drifting

The back up lights are always on - bright white light from the rear while car is moving forward or at a standstill will not pass inspection - I am pretty sure.
Agreed. You could remove bulbs for a temporary fix for inspection. You are probably right about the switch.

My research shows that for 79 there isn't an assembly instruction manual.
http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette...anual-623603-1
Lagonia (10-12-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To New to this forum - searching for a C3

Quick Reply: New to this forum - searching for a C3