Sponsored by:

Hood Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 07:25 AM
Logan176
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hood Change Question

I currently have an L88 style aftermarket long hood on my ‘72 that was made by Ecklers. I prefer the look of the BB/LT1 hood because it doesn’t stick up as much. I’ve been wanting to make the switch for a while, but other fixes have always taken priority.

I know the conversion would would require reinstalling the wiper doors and all necessary components, none of which came with the car when I got it. But then, I just came across this BB style hood in another thread:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1968-1982-COR...66?_mwBanner=1

From what I gather in the other thread, this hood is a little pricey and shipping to NY will most likely suck. But, I wouldn’t have to pay to have all the wiper door components installed. I also think I would need to have my fender edges modified where they meet the current long hood if I choose a stock B.B. hood. This means that I’d also have to have the fenders painted, too.

What are are your thoughts on this hood?
Old 10-06-2017, 07:28 AM
Logan176
Instructor

BTW... Here is a pic of my Vette with the current Ecklers hood.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:51 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

The ebay long lt1 hood gets lots of interest,

From the ad sounds like a 73 up hood, the rear cornors do not match the fenders on a 68 to 72,

Some people have ran long hoods on early cars and just ignored the fit, some have said they fit fine others have done lots of bodywork to be happy so there isnt one right answer across the board,

Ralph eckler addressed the long hood on 68 to 72 issue by offering special long hoods to fit early cars but they do not offer the stock bb lt1 style you desire,

If it were me, ( your car is stunning btw )
And i wanted the stock bb lt1 hood i would ante up and go back to the wiper door, i am a modder at heart but think the wiper door is pretty darn cool,
Old 10-07-2017, 07:08 AM
Logan176
Instructor

Since my current setup is all I’ve ever known, does it look like any modifications have been done to accommodate the hood?

Old 10-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Sunracer
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My brother has that exact hood on an Vette with an 81 front clip-very high quality, great fit.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:09 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

My opinion is keep what you have unless a complete paint job is in your plans. Judging by my experience you will be extremely lucky to find a hood that fits with out needing body work on the hood and surround to make it fit right. Of course matching your existing paint presents its own problems.

Consider a wiper cover to hide that unsightly view of the wiper compartment area.

Last edited by car junkie; 10-07-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

It doesnt look like any mods have been done to the fender. Its just missing the trim pieces.
Too bad you werent on the other side of the country, im seriously considering installing an L88 as my new engine configuration will really benefit from the extra clearance of the L88 hood. We could have swapped hoods.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood Change Question

Quick Reply: Hood Change Question