Sponsored by:

Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:14 PM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Paint Question

I need an opinion from you all. Recently bought my '74 and have been wiping down the paint with a product that is not abrasive but I just assumed the paint on it was basecoat clearcoat. I was wrong. I recently tried another product and saw color coming off last week. So now that I know its a single stage paint here is my question. I am replacing my original bumpers with Truflex bumpers and need to know your thoughts on what I should paint them with... 2-stage or single stage paint. What ever paint my car was shot with, its pretty amazing looking. It stumped my paint store expert when I brought the T-top in to make a custom batch for me using basecoat/clearcoat. So already I have the 2-stage custom mix in a half pint can but I'm unsure about using it for fear the sheen factor and look will be different. Thoughts on what you all would do?
Old 10-09-2017, 09:01 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Half a pint ain't much. Maybe shoot a little with an airbrush?
Old 10-09-2017, 09:51 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnieUtah
I need an opinion from you all. Recently bought my '74 and have been wiping down the paint with a product that is not abrasive but I just assumed the paint on it was basecoat clearcoat. I was wrong. I recently tried another product and saw color coming off last week. So now that I know its a single stage paint here is my question. I am replacing my original bumpers with Truflex bumpers and need to know your thoughts on what I should paint them with... 2-stage or single stage paint. What ever paint my car was shot with, its pretty amazing looking. It stumped my paint store expert when I brought the T-top in to make a custom batch for me using basecoat/clearcoat. So already I have the 2-stage custom mix in a half pint can but I'm unsure about using it for fear the sheen factor and look will be different. Thoughts on what you all would do?
The first thing I would try to do is contact the PO if possible and try to find out what kind of paint is on the car!

If that is not possible then you may have another problem besides the gloss difference! Different paint manufacturers use different materials ! If your car is the one in your avatar then the paint that you have mixed might not have the same metallics as the paint on the car !

So if your have a perfect paint match and all is good there then a high quality clear will give you a great gloss and if it's too shiny then you'll need a flattening agent and trial and error to get the gloss right !

Maybe DUB will chime in with some wisdom on this and maybe you could also post this in the paint and body section if you don't get a lot of answers her in the General section !

Hope it all works out good for you!
The following users liked this post:
JohnnieUtah (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:10 PM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Originally Posted by ignatz
Half a pint ain't much. Maybe shoot a little with an airbrush?
Sorry I meant pint.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:11 PM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Originally Posted by SPCL FX
The first thing I would try to do is contact the PO if possible and try to find out what kind of paint is on the car!

If that is not possible then you may have another problem besides the gloss difference! Different paint manufacturers use different materials ! If your car is the one in your avatar then the paint that you have mixed might not have the same metallics as the paint on the car !

So if your have a perfect paint match and all is good there then a high quality clear will give you a great gloss and if it's too shiny then you'll need a flattening agent and trial and error to get the gloss right !

Maybe DUB will chime in with some wisdom on this and maybe you could also post this in the paint and body section if you don't get a lot of answers her in the General section !

Hope it all works out good for you!
Ahh shoot...I didn't know there was a paint and body forum. Darn it all.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:40 PM
shaun8484
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Ahh shoot...I didn't know there was a paint and body forum. Darn it all.
There is?? ....
Old 10-10-2017, 02:26 PM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Originally Posted by shaun8484
There is?? ....

Already posted to it. But no answers. Lot a good it did me LOL
Old 10-10-2017, 05:48 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Already posted to it. But no answers. Lot a good it did me LOL
If your paint is as shiny as you say it would stand to reason that what is on your car has to be one of two kinds of single stage paint !

Those two choices are Imron and Amerflint !

Imron is still available and I don't think you can get Amerflint ! Imron is made by DuPont!

The easiest way to match the paint is to use the same paint so drive your car to the DuPont paint store and ask them if I it's possible that it's Imron on it it ! If so use that to paint your bumpers !

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Question

Quick Reply: Paint Question