Sponsored by:

Hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 05:47 PM
C376FL
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but

I just can't buy the fact that a car that I have had for about five years and the a/c has been empty of freon shows no sign of a leak. I pulled a vacuum on it about two hours ago and the gauges have not moved. The po did not know the history of the a/c, it did not work when he bought the car. Oh but the way it is a 76 c3. I just can't believe the o- rings have not dried out or the condenser, evaporator or hose has no holes. I don't know if there was a leak and they fixed it and never charged it up. Any thoughts.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If the system does hold a vacuum and the compressor kicks in, what sort of refrigerant would you use on a system that old or will you have to go through everything and replace the old with new pieces that are compatible with the new non-freon based stuff. Wondering !
Old 10-28-2017, 06:30 PM
C376FL
Racer

Originally Posted by Team Evil
If the system does hold a vacuum and the compressor kicks in, what sort of refrigerant would you use on a system that old or will you have to go through everything and replace the old with new pieces that are compatible with the new non-freon based stuff. Wondering !
I was checking to see if it would hold a vacuum. Then it would let me know what needed to be replaced, that would determined which way I would go. I would like to stay with r-12 if i could.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:37 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Just because it holds vacuum for 2 hrs doesn't necessarily mean there is no leak, just means there is no big leak. It may have taken years to leak out all the pressure. While it's empty would be a good time to replace all the o-rings you can get to. I have also seen compressor seals that would only leak under pressure and not vacuum or only when running. Put dye in it when you charge it so if there is a leak you might be able to locate it.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:42 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If the system had no pressure, it had air in it. The dessicant (sp?) will have soaked up all the moisture it could. On the flip side, I'd hunt a bottle of nitrogen and throw 250-300 PSI in the system and see if that holds.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:48 PM
C376FL
Racer

Originally Posted by '75
Just because it holds vacuum for 2 hrs doesn't necessarily mean there is no leak, just means there is no big leak. It may have taken years to leak out all the pressure. While it's empty would be a good time to replace all the o-rings you can get to. I have also seen compressor seals that would only leak under pressure and not vacuum or only when running. Put dye in it when you charge it so if there is a leak you might be able to locate it.
'75 I kind of thought the same thing about holding under vacuum but not pressure . I have no idea if the compressor works. or vir valve is worth a darn. I wanted to know if there was a possibility of getting the system up. The next thing would be to find r-12 that would not require a lot of money.
Thanks for the reply '75
Old 10-29-2017, 03:25 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

My dads avanti went through a can of r 12 a year for over 25 years,
Old 10-29-2017, 09:27 AM
The Hot Rod Grille
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

If you are ready for "sticker shock", check the price for R12 (if you can find any).
Old 10-29-2017, 09:32 AM
C376FL
Racer

Originally Posted by TimAT
If the system had no pressure, it had air in it. The dessicant (sp?) will have soaked up all the moisture it could. On the flip side, I'd hunt a bottle of nitrogen and throw 250-300 PSI in the system and see if that holds.
Tim I might try that, I have used nitrogen all the time when running medical gas at the hospital. We purged the copper when we brazed it to keep it clean. It was the same for a/c lines. Then we tested all the joints with nitrogen. I will try to get a hold of a friend at the company to see if I can use the bottle and gauges. I have retired from there in 14. I thought about that also.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:40 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Cover all the bases first

(You could probably trade a can of R12 for a gram of platinum )

Get notified of new replies

To Hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but

Quick Reply: Hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but