Sponsored by:

Disco Days

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Disco Days

Just finished up cleaning and spray dying the little arm rest pad. I pulled the inner foam out and replaced with new and found rolling papers and some shredded joints in a baggie tucked inside. I'm pretty sure that the guy was sold oregano and didn't know any better.

Given the sad era that these C3s were born in, and the certain type of guy that was drawn to them when new, has anyone else found an remnants hidden in their cars by their "super cool" first or former owner?

I'm surprised that I haven't found more.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:00 PM
gleninsandiego
Safety Car

Received 1,065 Likes on 583 Posts

Over the years I have found all kinds of "interesting things" in used cars I have bought. The stuff I have found in old corvettes seems to take it to a whole new level. I have found everything from bullets to jewelry. However, the thin 70's leisure suit with visible red stitching everywhere complete with condoms rings the bell when it comes to disco cool.

Glenn in San Diego
Old 11-11-2017, 12:24 PM
Team Evil
Racer

My car was originally orange with a tan interior, I can totally picture the original owner, washing the car, hitting every square inch of the interior with Armor-All, dressing up in his brown Farah slacks and polyester wide collar shirt and hitting some horrible suburban disco (on weekends only, VFW or meat raffle hall on regular week nights) and start hitting on the local "chicks." I like to think that the original owner was the Xerox repair dude for a strip mall insurance company. Made just enough to cover a front facing basement apartment in Cinderblock Hell and "The Vette" as he calls it, parking space #7 right next to the dumpster and the back stairway entrance with the light above it always burned out.

Don't know how these old men survived the 70's . . .
The following users liked this post:
Yankeededandy (11-12-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 05:21 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Don' t know what you were doing in the late 70s and why you think it was sad. I was driving a pathetic '75 vette (white/saddle) that a cougar (who I met at a suburban disco) bought for me, but the amount of pipe I was laying more than made up for it' s lack of performance.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:14 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Team Evil
...Given the sad era that these C3s were born in, and the certain type of guy that was drawn to them when new...
I agree with Faster Rat. I lived through those times and can't say things were sad. What type of stereotypical Corvette owner from that era do you have in mind?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Team Evil
Racer

I'm sort of thinking of Erik Estrada . . . if he owned a Corvette. Or maybe that douche who played "Doc" on The Love Boat.

Last edited by Team Evil; 11-12-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:27 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

hmmm, have to wonder if things were better when people were not slaves to their hand held devices. Talk about a wasted life!
The following users liked this post:
Gold Dragon (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Great thread...

I have been building a mental profile of the most recent, past owner of my ‘75 convertible. So far, I have labelled him as being a “large”, poor driving golfer. Before getting new foam and covers in my seats, I could not figure out why I kept feeling pressure on my right side kidney. Upon disassembling the seats, a poor repair to the driver’s seat back had been attempted using a metal plate and a couple of way-too-big bolts that stuck right in my back. My guess is that the PO would “plop” down into the seat and, over time, simply streessed the frame and it broke. Properly welded now...Lover golf apprently as I found a number of tees under the seats and stuck down inside the ebrake console. Poor driver only because I have found some evidence of rear quarter body repairs. That could be a stretch though as the car could have been bumped by another less attentive driver. Lastly, not sure where to file this one - the original saddle tan interior has been dyed an almost, but no where near exact shade similar. The funny thing is that I have been cleaning the interior with Lacquer thinner and the original shade comes through beautifully and in very good reapir.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

I found some rolling papers and a baggy in mine the other day......then I realized I was the one who left them there.......

Jebby
The following 2 users liked this post by Jebbysan:
Syl1953 (11-17-2017), Team Evil (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Bought a '73 last month, removed the console and found a jar of coke......party car.
Yeah, I pictured some gold chain wearing Guido dude parked outside the local disco.....
Old 11-12-2017, 10:53 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg
Bought a '73 last month, removed the console and found a jar of coke......party car.
Yeah, I pictured some gold chain wearing Guido dude parked outside the local disco.....
Was it still good?
Old 11-12-2017, 11:55 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I love history, my other hobbies include restoring old arcade machines,
And so many times i ponder the life an old car or machine has had,

My 69 was a rich kids toy,

Updated to look 73, and had a roots blower, he opted to drive his 69 convertible firebird rather than the vette, i would trade my vette for that bird,..maybe,

The vette then sat on and off several decades in a garage,

I have found weird fun stuff in other cars but the 69 must have been hiding during the disco days, nothing epic in it, rat skeleton in brake console, loose change, detritus, and a corvette belt buckle,

The 69 was sold to play games during a divorce, and like happens in car sales like that the blower was gone, as were the wheels and tires, replaced with junkyard cheap stuff,

I do not believe disco music had much to do with c3s attracting a certain type sadly they still do....TACOs,

Fashion Styles change, many are still just as tacky...and c3s are still cheesy coolness...
Old 11-13-2017, 05:42 PM
Greg
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by theandies
Was it still good?
I'll be honest with you, if the lid was on I could answer that question,
but the lid had rattled off a million years ago, the bottle was tilted up so most of the contents were still in there but they were hard kind of "iffy"
looking. As much as I'd like to have done a rail right then, I let my better judgement guide me and passed on it.
Where's Keith Richards when you need him?
Old 11-13-2017, 09:33 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

I found Allman Brothers eight track buried in the back corner. Two issues, its not disco and the car does have a eight track player!!!! "Different strokes for different folks"!!!!!! Ike
Old 11-16-2017, 02:28 PM
TexasTechDad
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Back in the Disco days I was in Miami. I saw a guy in a 75 coupe with side pipes exit the car and his double knit polyester pants melt to his leg!

Last edited by TexasTechDad; 11-16-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:35 AM
Backstop
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by general ike
I found Allman Brothers eight track buried in the back corner. Two issues, its not disco and the car does have a eight track player!!!! "Different strokes for different folks"!!!!!! Ike
Mine had a couple of Rush cassettes and Heart's greatest hits that slid back down in the cargo hold.

I looked up the VIN history and the car changed hands about every four years since 1973 so who know when those were lost.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:46 PM
Greg
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Backstop
Mine had a couple of Rush cassettes and Heart's greatest hits that slid back down in the cargo hold.
Heart played my high school. We thought they sucked.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:54 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm sort of thinking of Erik Estrada . . . if he owned a Corvette.

On CHiPs, Erik had a 1971 Firebird Formula / Trans Am. I think they used bits and parts from two cars.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:14 PM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default ??

I'm sort of thinking of Erik Estrada . . . if he owned a Corvette. Or maybe that douche who played "Doc" on The Love Boat.
Douche??? That was Siefried!This is KAOS !!! We do NOT disco here !!

Get notified of new replies

To Disco Days

Quick Reply: Disco Days