C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best time of year to sell a convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 08:15 AM
David in NC
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default best time of year to sell a convertible?

spring?
aren't a lot of buyers dreaming and searching the web while cooped up indoors during the winter?
I certainly see sales occurring year round
ideally, would you list in late winter as people are thinking about the coming spring? Feb? March?
how much does timing really matter?
C3 prices seem to me a little soft right now
thoughts?
Old 11-18-2017, 08:38 AM
dar322
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

i dont think it matters anymore. your looking for a buyer whose prolly not looking at it as an everyday car, unless you happen to be in NC. so...put it on the market when your ready. and make sure you know what price you want, cause buyers want it for nothing. be ready to deal, imho.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:47 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,338 Posts

If you were talking about a daily driver, it might make a little difference, but I don't think it has much effect on the collector car market.

First off, if you're buying a Corvette at this time of year, and you live somewhere that gets winter weather, you're not expecting to be using it much anyway. The shows and cruises are over, and the days are shorter, so other than maybe a quick Sunday afternoon ride, how often do most people drive a Corvette in the winter.

Also, with the internet, eBay, craigslist, etc, you're not selling to someone just in your geographic area anymore. You may live in Upstate New York, but your potential buyer, might be living in Miami.

I think the market generally gets a little soft, November through January. People have different priorities around Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and are often watching their money in January, as they recover from the holidays. I think this year, you might have some people waiting to see what the idiots in Washington do with the tax laws too.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:57 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Any time, someone always has the itch
Old 11-18-2017, 12:02 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 214 Posts

Mox nix.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:25 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
If you were talking about a daily driver, it might make a little difference, but I don't think it has much effect on the collector car market.

First off, if you're buying a Corvette at this time of year, and you live somewhere that gets winter weather, you're not expecting to be using it much anyway. The shows and cruises are over, and the days are shorter, so other than maybe a quick Sunday afternoon ride, how often do most people drive a Corvette in the winter.

Also, with the internet, eBay, craigslist, etc, you're not selling to someone just in your geographic area anymore. You may live in Upstate New York, but your potential buyer, might be living in Miami.

I think the market generally gets a little soft, November through January. People have different priorities around Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and are often watching their money in January, as they recover from the holidays. I think this year, you might have some people waiting to see what the idiots in Washington do with the tax laws too.
^^I agree^^
Old 11-18-2017, 12:32 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,359 Likes on 2,787 Posts

I don’t believe it matters at all. I bought my last 2 C3 convertibles in February and November because 1 was exactly what I was looking for and 1 was a nice deal on a nice car. The last one I sold was in winter because the buyer wanted that year in that color.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:24 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,184 Likes on 2,362 Posts

We bought a convertible in early March (not a Corvette), and drove it home in 30 degree weather with the top down. It started to snow lightly, and people were yelling at us from the sidewalk. So the buyers are out there, whatever the season.

I'm sure Lionel Hutz would agree, the right time to sell is right now.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:35 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

I think that if you have decide to buy a Corvette, then you buy it, no matter time of the year it is........
Old 11-19-2017, 03:16 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

My last two were purchased in winter.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:02 PM
409/409
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I bought my '75 convertible and drove it from South Carolina to Cincinnati on Christmas eve. I had been looking for the right car and right price for years. The time to buy is when you find it.

Get notified of new replies

To best time of year to sell a convertible?

Quick Reply: best time of year to sell a convertible?