Rear to high, help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Rear to high, help please

1970 convertible, L-46. Rear height 29 1/2 inches, 225-70-15 tires, 6 inch bolts, 9 leaf steel spring. Want/need to lower rear, , the rubbers in existing spring starting to slip out. Which composite spring (lbs. + manufacture) do you recommend? Or just go to 8" bolts? Thanks in advance for any help, Mark
Old 12-11-2017, 10:38 AM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are going to run the 8" bolts be careful if you are running stock 15" rims. If you get a flat the bolt will hit the pavement, as they extend below the rim. FYI
Old 12-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, car is together. I am photo posting challenged. Do not know if spring is original. No idea of specifications. What composite spring is recommended? I had a steel one break on a 74 close to 40 years ago and the pucker factor is still very vivid. Thank you for the reply.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

I believe you could go to 8" bolts without creating a problem if you have a flat. That's the maximum length though.

But I would switch to a VB&P spring; probably a 330 lb spring. Depends on your driving habits and what you want to achieve. I'd call VB&P and ask for their recommendation.

I'm running a 300 lb spring with a 3/4" sway bar in the rear. A little unconventional but it works well for me.

Do not buy a TRW style spring made by Muskegon Brakes. They are known to have an incorrect arch and will raise your rear higher than it is now.
The following users liked this post:
Syl1953 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 01:15 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Spare tire installed?

Gas tank at least 1/2 filled?

Driver 180 lbs. or more sitting in car?

Compensation in some form has to be allowed for each "lost pound"......then, adjust bolts or buy new spring.

Syl1953 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 02:28 PM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The height inconsistency has been resolved. We actually switched manufacturers for our fiberglass and resin process. The inconsistency was due to resin/fiber ratios. Our spring is designed by TRW to be a factory replacement. We utilize 7-1/4" bolts with our kit to safely avoid the tire and keep ride height where it should be. If you have any questions regarding the springs available or the processes involved we are always happy to help you make the best informed decision possible.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, 210 and 3/4 full. Going to try 8 inch bolts, adjust, then drill new hole for cotter, cut off excess (if any). We'll see how that does, Mark
doorgunner (12-14-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 12:27 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by muskegonbrake
The height inconsistency has been resolved. We actually switched manufacturers for our fiberglass and resin process. The inconsistency was due to resin/fiber ratios. Our spring is designed by TRW to be a factory replacement. We utilize 7-1/4" bolts with our kit to safely avoid the tire and keep ride height where it should be. If you have any questions regarding the springs available or the processes involved we are always happy to help you make the best informed decision possible.
Wow, finally an admission that your springs are defective! So how are you going to compensate those of us who purchased your unsafe "inconsistent" springs?

Until I receive a refund for the unusable TRW spring I was forced to discard, I'll continue to recommend VB&P springs. Theirs are manufactured in house where they have total control. I've personally visited their facility and reviewed their manufacturing processes.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:30 PM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
Wow, finally an admission that your springs are defective! So how are you going to compensate those of us who purchased your unsafe "inconsistent" springs?

Until I receive a refund for the unusable TRW spring I was forced to discard, I'll continue to recommend VB&P springs. Theirs are manufactured in house where they have total control. I've personally visited their facility and reviewed their manufacturing processes.
Kid Vette, I never said anything about our springs being defective, let alone unsafe. We have never had a complete failure. We have never had a spring break. We had at the most 3 springs out of a batch of 300 that caused a car to sit high. And even then it depended on the car. What then may have sat high on a mid year, didn't on a C3. I've always been willing to take care of these specific instances. I would be more than happy to discuss your displeasure further. You're welcome to shoot me a PM, E-mail me at vettedesk@muskegonbrake.com, or call us at 800-442-0335.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by muskegonbrake
Kid Vette, I never said anything about our springs being defective, let alone unsafe. We have never had a complete failure. We have never had a spring break. We had at the most 3 springs out of a batch of 300 that caused a car to sit high. And even then it depended on the car. What then may have sat high on a mid year, didn't on a C3. I've always been willing to take care of these specific instances. I would be more than happy to discuss your displeasure further. You're welcome to shoot me a PM, E-mail me at vettedesk@muskegonbrake.com, or call us at 800-442-0335.
I could list more but why bother.

High riding TRW Fiberglass Rear Spring

New rear spring ride height too high

High riding TRW Fiberglass Rear Spring

TRW Fiberglass Rear Spring

TRW vs. VBP composite spring results

Getting back to stock ride height
Old 12-13-2017, 10:44 AM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Every thread was 10 years old except one, and in that one the customer/shop likely returned it with no issues. Otherwise, that customer likely would have said something via the forum. So I'm not sure why you're continuing to bash an issue that I have not only taken on, but resolved from a decade ago. You're welcome to contact me anytime. We take the forum very seriously and do our best to take care of all our customers, especially forum members. That's why we are supporting vendors.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:32 PM
ZyberMunster
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 80 Posts

Muskegon Brakes ...email sent regarding my 1972 coupe with TRW composite spring ...thanks
Old 12-14-2017, 11:03 PM
macrohard
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t know about the TRW, but I had a #360 Hyperco from Ecklers and I spent years swearing and re-installing with different sized bolts, strapping it down...and it still had a 2-3” lift.

I finally bit the bullet and got a 330#VB&P. 30 minutes later it was adjusted to the perfect height.

If you are looking for a nice raked look with a 2-3” lift, let me know, I got a slightly used Hyperco for you at a really good price!!!
Old 05-27-2018, 02:59 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Grow up! ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvette_leaf_spring

The internet can eliminate peity arguments in seconds when properly applied!Me!
Old 05-27-2018, 03:54 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

The article cites the C4 Corvette as transverse front spring only, is this correct?
Old 05-28-2018, 02:16 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Gee, I duuno about that. My '96 has composite springs on both the front and the rear.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear to high, help please

Quick Reply: Rear to high, help please