Sponsored by:

what yr C3 should I buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 03:15 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Krystal,
I have a 69 convertible but i really don't place it above other years, some individual cars are nicer than others

I was reading your replies and my brain engaged while rust is a deal killer paint and body meant zero to me,
Buyers each care about different stuff, convertible was must for me some like coupes better,

Gm didnt make a perfect for me c3 so like others i will make it myself

where you really got me thinking if things were more equal 68 to 82 meaning all those years offered both coupe and convertibles and all those years offered any engine the factory dropped in and just to make this more of an impossible scenario they all were priced based on options and condition, year played zero,

I bet we would see a lot more cats cruising in say 78 or 82 factory 435 cars than some of the more elistist chromie owners would care to admit,
Old 12-18-2017, 03:40 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Buy the car that excites you the most..they all have issues.
Nobody knows your situation better then you do.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Get a '68.....first year, they started the whole modern Corvette era...
Get a '69....by then GM worked out all of the bugs of the '68 model...
Get a '70....the new side grilles are boss......
Get a '71....last year of the funky fiber optics.....
Get a '72.....last year of the chrome bumpers on both ends....
Get a '73.....only year of chrome rear/rubber front bumper.....
Get a .......

You get the idea, right? They are ALL cool, just get whichever one raises the little hairs on your neck when you see it. :-)
Old 12-18-2017, 07:25 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by scott.johnson57
Hi all

Im interested in buying a C3 and want to know what yr I should buy (75-82). Im interested in one in excellent condition, auto, ac, leather, ttops, L82?, dependability, low repair costs.

Thanks!!
Scott
I have owned my 73 for 15 years now...Got a super deal way back when and its a convertible....If I had to do it all over again I would look for a chrome bumpered Vette, not just the back...

Thing is urethane over time just warps , you can't help it,and don't even think of parking behind someone even if you have two car lengths, trust me, don't do it.....To repair and spray a bumper is easily 600 dollars......I have been hit three separate times.....Insurance did cover claim though......People say replace them with fiberglass ones...You can but I imagine it would be pricey and labor intensive to do......Chrome bumpered vettes are the most expensive C-3s for that reason, two chrome bumpers....
I see a lot of decent deals for rubber bumpered vettes......As far as power , pull out the stock L-48 and put a 383 in it,than you can have some fun..
Keep the original L-48 on a stand covered and out of the way...

Last edited by zrc3john; 12-18-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:23 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
What information are you getting and where are you getting it? The Crossfire is fine if you keep it tuned and maintained. Will you be working on the car yourself?
I recently bought a 82. Keep in mind the Crossfire injection is just two throttle bodies which have been used on millions of GM vehicles. They're reliable as long as you don't start screwing with them like they're a carburetor. The fuel delivery is controlled by the car's computer.

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
The differences between each model year of C3 Corvettes is incredibly minor when you know the similarities.

Ignore all the hype about chrome bumper cars, and the suggestions that anyone who doesn't own one secretly wishes they had one, and cries every night over the fact that they don't own one. That always comes from people who own them, as it helps make them feel superior.

Fact is, each model year has its own unique items, and you have to pick the one that is best for you.

In any case, the 1977 is the best year,....its a known fact.
You'll have to fill me in on that (I looked at a '77 before I bought the '82...It needed a lot of work).
Old 12-19-2017, 08:16 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Krystal,
I have a 69 convertible but i really don't place it above other years, some individual cars are nicer than others

I was reading your replies and my brain engaged while rust is a deal killer paint and body meant zero to me,
Buyers each care about different stuff, convertible was must for me some like coupes better,

Gm didnt make a perfect for me c3 so like others i will make it myself

where you really got me thinking if things were more equal 68 to 82 meaning all those years offered both coupe and convertibles and all those years offered any engine the factory dropped in and just to make this more of an impossible scenario they all were priced based on options and condition, year played zero,

I bet we would see a lot more cats cruising in say 78 or 82 factory 435 cars than some of the more elistist chromie owners would care to admit,
I don't think much about the potential for "elitist" thinking.......'68-82 produced a very small number of Corvettes that actually have REAL serious value........I draw on the idea of an old Corvette actually worth "elitist" thinking as a car that if sold should expect to fetch a price tag in excess of a current year model Corvette.....anything less is pretty run of the mill affordable and not really worthy of any sort of "elitist" attitude on the part of it's owner. That said......paint and body?

I break it down like this:

1. If it's a truly rare C3 like that 427 car from '69 or '68 that easily justifies any expense required to paint properly

2. For the owner who can do the lion's share of labor intensive work to prepare for paint ....it's also not much of an issue.

Maybe it's because you own a '69 Convertible that you don't see it as the large issue that I do.

I own a car inside that '78-82 range.......I have sentimental attachment to the car I've owned since it was a left over on the lot in 1980......so I'll paint mine again when I have to. AT this point there is a crap load more money in my car than any sane person could justify without the "sentimental" aspect connected to the car my late father bought for me in Highschool.

I imagine a totally different scenario......one where I'm in the market to buy someone else's C3 today.

I agree with your assessment that there are things to like about the '78-82 vs the earlier models......a little extra "nice" inside and little more room under the glass in back might appeal to a buyer. The one thing that gets tougher though.

Your '69 Convertible sitting next to my '79.......assuming Condition of both cars is close enough we can't say one is any better than the other......and your car is just WORTH MORE.......this says nothing of what someone might like in one vs the other........it's just a cold, unemotional market value assessment.

A '79 in need of body and paint work........is still a tough buy unless it's otherwise in DAMN GOOD mechanical shape and just about in need of nothing else......or I'd take a pass and move on to the next car PDQ.

A '69 Convertible.....in need of the same paint and body......leaves a little more and in some cases a lot more room to spend before recognizing the car isn't really worth the $ and effort.

Last edited by Krystal; 12-19-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:19 PM
westmicarguy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have 1Z876AS419417....

I have her and am selling if you are interested.

jason
616-466-3424

I relocated to Maryland from Chicago in 1981, left the car in a friends garage till winter was over, flew back on the first morning flight, picked the car up, blasted across Michigan to the Detroit airport, picked up a relative, them headed back through twisty roads to a small town on the Ohio border for a relatives funeral. Took off after the funeral and hammered it home to Baltimore non stop. I still remember that trip and how good that car was. Claret with Oyster Leather, 1Z876AS419417 if anybody bumps into it I would love to find it again. I still have all the paperwork.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-10-2018, 07:17 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by westmicarguy
I have her and am selling if you are interested.

jason
616-466-3424

I relocated to Maryland from Chicago in 1981, left the car in a friends garage till winter was over, flew back on the first morning flight, picked the car up, blasted across Michigan to the Detroit airport, picked up a relative, them headed back through twisty roads to a small town on the Ohio border for a relatives funeral. Took off after the funeral and hammered it home to Baltimore non stop. I still remember that trip and how good that car was. Claret with Oyster Leather, 1Z876AS419417 if anybody bumps into it I would love to find it again. I still have all the paperwork.
[/QUOTE]

That member is likely not going to see this post tacked into the end of a thread that’s been dead since 2017. Try sending him a PM directly.

Quick Reply: what yr C3 should I buy