And So It Begins...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 08:05 AM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Eljay
Good luck with your search. I like your screen name I have an 03 blue ZRX
Apparently I can't upload any pictures into my signature, however I was able to upload a pic of the bike here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/g/album/8800636
Old 12-21-2017, 08:18 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Do NOT buy a car that needs paint. Paint jobs for corvettes is absurdly expensive and most of the time, costs more then the car is worth. (C3)

There is a lot of loop holes when buying an old Vette, but the biggest two are birdcage/frame rust and paint quality. Both of those should be a deal breaker for buying a Vette, especially a C3.
The following users liked this post:
ZRXGreen (12-24-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 02:54 AM
knuckleherby
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
I have been using 10% ethanol for years, perhaps decades, and myself and nobody in either of the two car clubs I belong to have had issues.
Hi Mel, to an original 69 engine? I thought it´s not good for old engines to take 10% ethanol. Have you taken an additive?

Hi ZRXGreen, good luck to your search

greetings
Herby
Old 12-22-2017, 07:41 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

How is your search coming?

A couple of thoughts from an old guy. I currently have a 1972 which I am modifying into a Road Race Replica, highly modified.
Name:  IMG_20170928_084616383 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 190
Size:  312.3 KB
I also am working on a 1977 four speed coupe which I want to take back to stock looking although the engine will be a 383 stroker now though it will look pretty much like an L-82 engine bay.
Name:  David Howard 1977 Corvette for Sale (37).jpg
Views: 137
Size:  276.6 KB
I had a 1971 barn find and it was an enormous amount of work and it took almost five years to get it on the road once purchased.
Name:  IMG_20160418_071039319 (1024x527).jpg
Views: 106
Size:  487.9 KB
Depending upon your skill sets, what you want to do yourself, what you are willing to pay for someone else to do, my advice would be to buy as much car as you can for the budgeted money you have. If you want a driver then look for a nice driver with decent to good paint. As stated above, paint is expensive. If you plan to buy, keep, show it and drive it then mechanical condition is important and any records a seller can provide would be helpful. I would not discount the 74-80 cars as they have refinements you won't find in the early cars. Never let the HP in the engine bay be your reason to walk away from a car; that can be improved without breaking your bank.

If I can help in any way just let me know. I'm in Easton, PA and glad to help out if I can.

Enjoy the search and the journey, and most importantly have fun.

David Howard
AllVettes4Me
Old 12-22-2017, 09:42 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRXGreen
Thank you for the great advice. And congrats on getting that car! I would have bought that one in a heartbeat!
It was a great find, and I was just in the right place at the right time.

Originally Posted by Eljay
Good luck with your search. I like your screen name I have an 03 blue ZRX
I didn't even notice the screen name. Also a bike guy, even Kawasaki's =)

Old 12-24-2017, 09:09 AM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow

Slow if that's you how do you get a picture like that??
Old 12-24-2017, 10:00 AM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by knuckleherby
Hi Mel, to an original 69 engine? I thought it´s not good for old engines to take 10% ethanol. Have you taken an additive?

Hi ZRXGreen, good luck to your search

greetings
Herby
Thanks Herby!
Old 12-24-2017, 10:34 AM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by AllVettes4Me
How is your search coming?

A couple of thoughts from an old guy. I currently have a 1972 which I am modifying into a Road Race Replica, highly modified.
Attachment 48237675
I also am working on a 1977 four speed coupe which I want to take back to stock looking although the engine will be a 383 stroker now though it will look pretty much like an L-82 engine bay.
Attachment 48237674
I had a 1971 barn find and it was an enormous amount of work and it took almost five years to get it on the road once purchased.
Attachment 48237676
Depending upon your skill sets, what you want to do yourself, what you are willing to pay for someone else to do, my advice would be to buy as much car as you can for the budgeted money you have. If you want a driver then look for a nice driver with decent to good paint. As stated above, paint is expensive. If you plan to buy, keep, show it and drive it then mechanical condition is important and any records a seller can provide would be helpful. I would not discount the 74-80 cars as they have refinements you won't find in the early cars. Never let the HP in the engine bay be your reason to walk away from a car; that can be improved without breaking your bank.

If I can help in any way just let me know. I'm in Easton, PA and glad to help out if I can.

Enjoy the search and the journey, and most importantly have fun.

David Howard
AllVettes4Me
Thank you very much, David! Beautiful cars! Your advice, insight and offer to help is very much appreciated! I enjoy working on my own cars and don't mind getting my hands dirty, which opens up the field a bit for me. I wouldn't mind buying something that needs a little work, as long as it doesn't get out of control. In the end, my goals are pretty simple. I'm looking for a driver, not a show car (although if it looks like a show car, I won't mind ). It doesn't have to be perfect, nor would I expect an almost 50-year-old car to be so. I will be treating it pretty much exactly like my motorcycle: garage kept, stored in winter, no driving in rain or the cold, etc. As you said above, I want to buy the most car I can afford (ideally in the high teens to mid 20s). Lastly, I want to buy a car that will hold its value.

Last edited by ZRXGreen; 12-24-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:37 AM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow

Nice! And that is an awesome picture!

Last edited by ZRXGreen; 12-24-2017 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: And So It Begins...