Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove all smog equipment safe DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 10:16 AM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Remove all smog equipment safe DIY?

Hey everyone

I want to remove all the 'restricting' smog equipment on my 77 in a safe way obviously.
I've already searched on the forum yesterday, but I couldn't find a good guideline/instruction about how to and what to remove...

I live in Belgium so there are no emission laws for oldtimers (cars older than 25 years).
Old 12-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Novusuhu
Hey everyone

I want to remove all the 'restricting' smog equipment on my 77 in a safe way obviously.
I've already searched on the forum yesterday, but I couldn't find a good guideline/instruction about how to and what to remove...

I live in Belgium so there are no emission laws for oldtimers (cars older than 25 years).
My 77 is from California so I have an A.I.R. system.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:41 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

there is nothing really restricting about it. the restrictions are in your cylinder heads, intake, carb cam shaft, and lazy timing curve.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:51 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
there is nothing really restricting about it. the restrictions are in your cylinder heads, intake, carb cam shaft, and lazy timing curve.
Sorry that I may have been unclear about what I meant with the word rectrictive'. What I mean is there are a lot of hoses, cables, tubes and other stuff that are from the A.I.R. system and other 'worthless' stuff that I don't need (want).

They also make my engine bay 'untidy'.

I also want to put on an open element air cleaner and new longtube headers. Those hoses, cables etc. I talked about block me from doing those modifications. So I want to remove the things that I dont need (emission stuff).

Last edited by Novusuhu; 12-30-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:28 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Then I would look into GM parts from 69 or so that doesn’t use any of the AIR stuff and use those components. After you do all that be sure to re-curve your distubtror and re jet and tune your carb
Old 12-30-2017, 02:42 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I would start by taking pics of all that you want to take off.If you do something that you should not, then you can go back.You have to make sure that you have all the right vac lines plugged or removed.save all that you remove.theres others that will buy it from you .
Old 12-31-2017, 03:23 AM
Sunracer
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Not too tough to do Google up the applicable California emissions systems the Old Chilton's manuals had a good breakdown on them You will likely need some plugs for the AIR system etc. I imagine the Corvette vendors sell them

Get notified of new replies

To Remove all smog equipment safe DIY?

Quick Reply: Remove all smog equipment safe DIY?