Sponsored by:

Adding more brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:36 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Adding more brake lights

I am adding two more brake lights where my back-up lights were(76), on adding the brake light sockets, how has anyone spliced them in with out damaging the original wiring harness??? I know they have the splice on fittings, have used them on trailers before, or should I splice the wires with solder and then shrink tube the splices??? I guess this car will not be a REAl valuable car in the future(even though it has been completely restored and does not have chrome bumpers), but I want to be able to convert it back if someone else buys it and wants back-up lights. ANY DIFFERENT IDEAS?? I am going to take care of the sockets for back-up lighting, not going to BUBBA it too much here.

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 01-07-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:25 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Solder and shrink the wires- these are brakelights- and you want to do it right!!!

I went to the trouble to add delphi weatherproof connectors as I added parking light halos and sequential turn lights and new license plate light w/ LED and then reverse lights with a hidden license plate and maybe a third brakelight on the rollbar.....

OK don't listen to me as you will never finish!!!

Old 01-06-2018, 01:13 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Now you need to make plate flip over for traffic light cameras...
Old 01-06-2018, 05:07 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Using those splice connectors is asking for problems. Strip, solder, heat shrink at the least. If I'm doing a connector that has a chance of getting wet, I'll coat the splice with dielectric grease and then heat shrink and seal it.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:43 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

If you use the right connector, there is no stripping, soldering, or cutting. This one slips OVER the wire you`re tagging onto, and the wire you want to add goes into the other hole. Pinch the metal tab down with your pliers, and it bites into them. Fold the plastic tab over and snap it in place. Done. Electricians have been using these for years without any problems.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:53 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
If you use the right connector, there is no stripping, soldering, or cutting. This one slips OVER the wire you`re tagging onto, and the wire you want to add goes into the other hole. Pinch the metal tab down with your pliers, and it bites into them. Fold the plastic tab over and snap it in place. Done. Electricians have been using these for years without any problems.

Jim, while zillions of those are in use no problems im gonna see who is first to call them hack job,
Be that as it may,
That is a far better option in this case as it does far less wire damage...

Old 01-06-2018, 07:25 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Jim, while zillions of those are in use no problems im gonna see who is first to call them hack job,
Be that as it may,
That is a far better option in this case as it does far less wire damage...

im gonna see who is first to call them hack job,
I'd lay money that I know who that'll be.......
Old 01-06-2018, 09:42 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

I know that the blue clips are faster and don't require cutting the wiring harness, but this will never be an complete original car since I did add headers, composite spring, and 77 mirrors to it, so cutting the wiring harness and soldering the wires with heat shrink is what I will do, even if it takes a little longer. THANKS to all who answered, this what I was going to do, but, need some other thoughts on it.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:46 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts

I am not saying those blue splicing connectors are a hack job but they have a tendency to not pierce the old wiring insulation. The older wiring insulation tends to be dried out and hardened. Just from my experience
Old 01-06-2018, 10:19 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
I know that the blue clips are faster and don't require cutting the wiring harness, but this will never be an complete original car since I did add headers, composite spring, and 77 mirrors to it, so cutting the wiring harness and soldering the wires with heat shrink is what I will do, even if it takes a little longer. THANKS to all who answered, this what I was going to do, but, need some other thoughts on it.
I agree,
I solder and shrink wrap all my wiring connectors and have wired all my specialty vehicals from scratch for over 30 years,

But your first post was hopping around and even considering one day returning it to stock,

So in that the little quick tap was posted by jim and was a good option, if of course they are the good ones and are used correctly,

Imho gm should have keep 4 brake lights , looks better and is safer,
So why not do it right if a person converts to it.

Last edited by The13Bats; 01-06-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:50 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Half of the connectors inside my 1156 and 1157 sockets were broken and partially failing anyway. I cut them off and added new replacement sockets for my quad brake light mod. I agree that soldering and heat shinking is the correct way to go, and using sockets that match the stock wiring colors if possible.

While having four brake lights is better and safer (a 5th would be even better), having passive reflectors (only on the backup lenses) is also safer for parked cars.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:17 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Half of the connectors inside my 1156 and 1157 sockets were broken and partially failing anyway. I cut them off and added new replacement sockets for my quad brake light mod. I agree that soldering and heat shinking is the correct way to go, and using sockets that match the stock wiring colors if possible.

While having four brake lights is better and safer (a 5th would be even better), having passive reflectors (only on the backup lenses) is also safer for parked cars.
Not sure what i want for back up lights my build is old school so just another reason im avoiding leds where i can,
I might run late 60s mustang back up lights to get a round lamp,
My 69 is a convertible with show bar and i might mount an old school racing lamp on it for that 5th brake light you speak of,
I just dont want that hooky 80s 3rd brake light look,
Old 01-07-2018, 07:14 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Well Bikespace, I usually don't have the car out at night anymore, just day drives, so the reflectors don't matter to me. I want others to be able to see me stopping because of the 4 brake lights, and I also personally think the back-up lights lenses look bad compared to the brake light lenses. If someone needs to take the splices out later, they can buy a new wiring harness, like I did for the rest of the car. So since I usually don't drive at night, the back-up lights don't help me much during day, except to let others know you are backing up. Mine were not adjusted correctly inside the shifting are to turn on anyway(the neutral switch is also off, will work on that in a couple of days). I try to park where I don't have to back up because of the poor visibility out of this car(IMO). I usually drive a Silverado pick-upwith better vision(to me anyway).
Thanks to all who responded!

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 01-07-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:20 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Related to this question, was wondering if a 68 rear body harness is the same as a 69 or later where it mates to the fuse box. I am doing this mod to my 69 and have new harnesses to install. If the 68 harness is the same other than the tail/reverse lights, I just might swap my 69 for a 68 rear harness. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:49 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
your first post was hopping around and even considering one day returning it to stock,

So in that the little quick tap was posted by jim and was a good option, if of course they are the good ones and are used correctly,
Exactly. If I had a plan to "one day return it to stock".... I would clip a wire on versus cutting & soldering.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,296 Likes on 3,921 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

have you guys tried a "military splice". You tske your mecahnical wire stripper, place it where you want to splice, let it cut and move the housing and it leaves a gap. Then take a sharp awl and make a "hole in through the wires and sklide your new wire through that hole and twist or solder that connection. Cover it with your insulation of choice and it will hold forever. The old wire isnt cut and the new wire is through the old so you will have a great connection and it wont come apart like the blue ones can if the wire is thin or it wasnt a great connection when installed

not my video, he doesnt like the blue connectors but I have used them in the past

fast forward to the 1 minute mark

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 01-07-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:16 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

AS usual there is a wide selection of methods to get the job done!

Get notified of new replies

To Adding more brake lights

Old 01-07-2018, 12:29 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

What ever type of splice you like, if it gets moisture into it, it WILL fail. A little corrosion, resistance goes up, current draw goes up, heat goes up until it pops the fuse or just dies.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:48 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

probably not with the heat shrink
Old 01-07-2018, 03:12 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
probably not with the heat shrink
Good quality heat shrink that is installed correctly, probably not, as long as it's the correct size to start with. A touch of dielectric grease never hurts.

Quick Reply: Adding more brake lights